Good News: FL Lawmaker Wants To Bring Firing Squads Back

Discussion in 'Law and Justice System' started by bitterlyclingin, Oct 13, 2011.

1. bitterlyclingin

bitterlyclingin Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +449
    (Florida Lawmaker says its time to put the "punitive" back into capital punishment)

"TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) — Saying it's time to stop letting convicted killers "get off that easy," a Florida state lawmaker wants to use firing squads or the electric chair for those on death row.

Rep. Brad Drake filed a bill this week that would end the use of lethal injection in Florida executions. Instead, those with a death sentence would choose between electrocution or a firing squad.

Drake, a Republican, said the idea came to him after having a conversation with a constituent at a Waffle House over the legal battles associated with the Sept. 28 execution of Manuel Valle.

Valle's lawyers tried to stop the execution by arguing that a new lethal drug cocktail would cause him pain and therefore constitute cruel and unusual punishment. Courts, however, rejected that argument and let the execution go forward.

But Drake said the person at the restaurant questioned why death row inmates should even be allowed to die by lethal injection. Drake said he agreed and decided to sponsor the bill that would mandate a switch. The GOP-controlled Florida Legislature will consider the bill during the 2012 session that starts in January.

He said government is spending too much time listening to advocacy groups and instead should put in place a death sentence that forces convicted murderers to contemplate their fates.

Lethal injection just allows a person to die in their sleep while a firing squad or electrocution would force death row inmates to think about their punishment "every morning," Drake said."

Fla. lawmaker wants to bring back firing squads - Yahoo! News

2. LAfrique

LAfrique VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +69

As long as the alleged criminals are convicted on more than just circumstantial evidence, I have no problem. I have always thought it might help society if murderers know they will be executed in the very same manner they took out their victims.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. annesmith

annesmith Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I was reading some threads in this forum, when I stumbled here. Just a while ago, before I came here, I read an article entitled "Florida bill would bring back death by firing squad". Florida Rep. Brad Drake desires the state's system of capital punishment to ramp it up from lethal cocktail. He has released Florida HB 325, a bill that would bring firing squads or the electric chair back to death row. Convicts would be allowed to choose between either of these replacements for the narcotic cocktail. I believe that capital punishment permanently removes the worst criminals from society, therefore, it proves to be safer for us than long term or permanent incarceration. Why? Because dead criminals cannot commit any further crimes, either within prison or after escaping or after being released from it. But we must also consider that criminals are REAL PEOPLE too who have life and have all other emotions that the rest of us are capable of feeling. Now, do you think pronouncing a death sentence will be a better penalty to taper off heinous crimes?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. Katzndogz

Katzndogz Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,337
    You are in desperate need to meet some of the criminals who have been sentenced to death.

5. George Costanza

George Costanza A Friendly Liberal

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,187
    I am totally opposed to the death penalty in any form whatsoever.

Having said that, I have long argued that lethal injection is kind of pointless - if we are going to do it, let's make it meaningful. Ever wonder if there might be someone out there who wants to commit suicide, but is afraid to do it, so they decide to kill two birds with one stone - take their worst enemy(s) out and then let the state take care of the painless suicide?

I am opposed to the death penalty - but this point is one worth talking about it seems to me.

6. techieny

techieny Conservative Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +586
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyBcHUe4WeQ]Feelings - Morris Albert - YouTube[/ame]

7. PoliticalChic

PoliticalChic Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +24,991
    Yep.

8. George Costanza

George Costanza A Friendly Liberal

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,187
    That would be far too easy on the criminal. How many times does a murderer kill his victim by capturing them, giving them a lengthy trial, convicting them, sentencing them to death and then putting them through a lengthy appeal period, setting an execution date, postponing it a number of times, and then, after the passage of years (sometimes a decade or more), EVERY SINGLE DAY OF WHICH THE VICTIM IS MADE AWARE OF THE FACT THAT THEY ARE GOING TO DIE, the deed is finally done.

If you want "death by equal method," take that into account. At least murder victims generally have death thrust upon them relatively quickly and almost always by surprise.

9. PoliticalChic

PoliticalChic Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +24,991
    "I am totally opposed to the death penalty in any form whatsoever."
    Ya' big pantywaist, Georgie.

"I have long argued that lethal injection is kind of pointless...."
    Wait a minute....Georgie starting to see the light!

"so they decide to kill two birds with one stone -"
    Birds?....how about dogs?
    You may be on to something there, big guy! In my home town
    there are folks who find that eating dogs is copesetic...
    ....if they immigrate to this county, they can find work as
    dog catchers!

...and how about dealing with the graffiti problem...we could
    make it legal to paint graffiti on illegally parked cars?

You've given me a whole new hobby, Georgie!!!

10. toxicmedia

toxicmedia Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,351
    All the people I know....who think it would be fun to shot someone else...even a convicted criminal....have never shot someone.

We as a society are no better than criminals when we hand out irreversable sentences.

Which draws a philosophical dilemna I've gone back and forth on....

......which is worse.......an innocent man gets executed, or a guilty man goes free?

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011