Good Marine

Camp Lejeune, NC. - Onslow Beach - 2nd Recon -- Radio Operator - July thru December 1968
In field radio man?
Yes. Radio Operator, Crypto, Electronics. I went through radio operators school, Crypto, and electronics in San Diego at the Marine Base next to the naval base. August of 1967 thru July 1968.
I almost went there but chose anti-armor missile systems...
Thank you.
Your welcome....even though I was just Army dog face...
Not a thing wrong with that.

I have to admit, I was a draft dodger.

I got my draft card in 1969, and immediately enlisted in the Navy.

and got out in 1990

You Navy guys are great. For about eighteen months I was part of a 12-man Marine Corps communications detachment aboard the USS Pocono (AGC-16). When I first reported for duty I thought I was a hot shot because I could send and receive Morse code at 20 words per minute. I was in for the shock of my life. I had never seen a speed key before and I couldn't keep up with the speed of the Navy circuits. I was actually sent to what was called a “refresher school” which was the ultimate insult to a proverbial hot shot.

That was the bad news. The good news is that with a combination of the refresher school along with countless hours of practice on what was called the Boehme keyer (a perforated tape that played prerecorded Morse code messages) I became so proficient that when I was reassigned to Second ANGLICO I could send faster than other Marines could receive and receive faster than they could send. I never sent a QRS signal (send slower) although I did send more than a few QRQ signals (send faster) as well as ZBM2 signals (place a competent operator on this circuit). I was the first Marine in my outfit to receive proficiency pay (a whole extra $30/month).

I remember when I was in Cuba and General Chapman came to inspect my unit. After hearing my name he said, “So you're the Marine who can send and receive over thirty-five words per minute. If I sent you thirty-five words per minute would you be able to copy me?” And I responded, “I don't know sir. I've never heard the General send before.” He looked at me for a few seconds and then laughed out loud. Then he said, “Good answer Marine, damn good answer.” Morse code operators will understand.

Forum List

Back