good manners

Bah! I have bad manners, and those who don't like it don't have to be around me ... that's all there is to it. Actually, I have good manners just not what most areas in the US consider good manners, I have "grunge" good manners. Where I grew up, they are perfect manners, but elsewhere we are considered very rude.

See Kitty. THAT is the difference between a native of Seattle and those that have come here after they have learned bad habits.

Yesterday I was driving down to the airport and the first avenue bridge went up over the duamish river. This bridge can take up to twenty minutes and it did yesterday. My point is that traffic was backed up almost a mile and being in front I got out of my cadilac until the bridge went down. Quiet..no horns. In any other city in the country some asshole would be mindlessly honking for traffic to move..not here.

I love this town. When I travel I have to come back sometimes just for the piece of mind.

There was a serious accident on the viaduct (an elevated part of hywy 99 ) and the cars were taking turns getting around the two blocked lanes without a hitch and this without the aid of a cop. This is normal not the exception.

Any that have seen my opinion of jews probably think I am a total asshole. OK but from my point of view a community that is polite and forgiving means more to me than you could know. That is why I hate rude people. It cuts me to the quick. That is why I hate you Kitty for being the rude little bitch that you are with you going on and on about the stupid monorail. That is why you claiming a voice for my city is crap. You are part of the problem...not the solution. You that are trained poorly should learn ...no never mind...it is more than training...here it is something you are born with.

I wish everyone could have been born here. It isn't the location like some lame my city is better than your town.. Seattle is actually from my experience the nicest ...most polite town in the U S. Did I say I love this town?

huggy why dont you show some manners and say you are sorry to againshelia? that would be civil of you.

do you have them or not? no this is not a damn quiz. but i am an emily post kinda person.

I have very good social manners. I say "please" and "thank you" and "excuse me", I call people I don't know "sir" or "ma'am" or "miss", and I use peoples' proper titles until they invite me to use their given names. I open doors for people and offer to help carry groceries and get cars unstuck from the snow. I try to avoid using vulgar language, especially around women and children.

My table manners are well below average. I chew with my mouth closed and I do not engage in bodily functions at the table. But I am not accustomed to dining with others, so I tend to eat too quickly without taking time to converse, and I hover protectively over my food until I'm finished eating. I also tend to pick bones, eat garnishes, and use my bread to sop up sauces and juices. I try very hard not to be disgusting, and I think I succeed, but I can't really focus on anything but eating until I'm done eating.

Your table manners are fine! Eating quickly doesn't make you mannerless, it just makes you a fast eater. I have a friend who does the same thing. Nothing wrong with picking bones, eating garnishes and . . . using the bread to mop up sauces and juices? Bravo! That's how they taste best. I encourage that!

You can tell the character of someone on how they treat others, such as service people, waiters/waitress/bartenders, maids, janitors, sales clerks, etc.

Good manners applies at all times, no matter who is watching.

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: I wholeheartedly agree EZ.

I always say thanks to people who do something for me, whether it's in their job description, like a waiter - or not, like someone who holds the door for me. I frequently tell people I appreciate <whatever> it is they've done. I hear my dad's voice in my head when I do this. :)

Rude people annoy the crap out of me. Morons on their damn cell phones stopping store traffic or driving on auto pilot should be taken out a pushed in a pond. I've noticed my kid's manners, in relation to their friend's manners. My kids have learned well, the little grasshoppers. Good manners cost nothing and go a long way.

Last edited:
Actually, that's what bread is suppose to be for, mopping the plate. The original manner rules actually said it was rude to not clean your plate, in many cultures it's still rude to leave food on the plate, so they added bread as a side dish to help out. Germans still practice the "burp is a compliment to the chef" and have you seen how the Japanese eat (kind of a necessity with chopsticks) and they consider that good table manners. Ignore the movies on many cultures, they are "Americanized" versions of the cultures they show. Some cultures have entire meals that are "mopped up" by pastry of some sort. Manners are culturally dependent, and there are no world wide rules, not even country wide in the US. Ranchers think it's rude to pick at food, eat too slowly and there has to be something wrong with the taste, which means you don't like the chef's cooking, anyone would be insulted by that.

An after dinner burp in our house - oh let's call it what it is, an after dinner belch - reduces my son to giggles. Ok, me too. Don't even get me started on the farting. That's home; when out it all (usually) stays in. :D

KK - spot on with the bread thing. Oh yum, homemade stew with really good buttered rolls mopping up the gravy. That's a good thing.

do you have them or not? no this is not a damn quiz. but i am an emily post kinda person.

what do you consider good manners? what are you unsure of when you go out to dinner?
what are you unsure of with thank you cards etc?

how do you think your manners would rate on a scale of 1 to 10...with 10 being emily post?

just how appalling are your manners?

(husband would like to point out that someone who is too lazy to use good grammar etc. should not be posting this...i would rate him a 6 on good manners)

Husband has a valid point. :D

Suffice it to say, you can dress me up, and take me out. I'm very well behaved, and I know which fork is my salad fork.

what do you consider good manners? what are you unsure of when you go out to dinner?

how do you think your manners would rate on a scale of 1 to 10...with 10 being emily post?

(husband would like to point out that someone who is too lazy to use good grammar etc. should not be posting this...i would rate him a 6 on good manners)

Just because I don't clog up your inbox with thank you PMs for rep received doesn't mean I'm not a proper lady. :tongue:

Last edited:
You can tell the character of someone on how they treat others, such as service people, waiters/waitress/bartenders, maids, janitors, sales clerks, etc.

I agree. Those that act like they are better than those they PAY to serve them, have a serious problem. Just because someone plops down $15, 25, or 100 dollars, doesn't entitle them to treat a worker as a slave. They wouldn't make very good mates either. ;)

Good manners speak to a person's self discipline. I won't comment on my own, but I'll say that I admire them in anyone, particularly my wife, but anyone. A display of good manners connotes an organized mind, and thus a civilized mind.

I agree. Those that act like they are better than those they PAY to serve them, have a serious problem. Just because someone plops down $15, 25, or 100 dollars, doesn't entitle them to treat a worker as a slave. They wouldn't make very good mates either. ;)

guess where i interview prospective employees.....

guess where i interview prospective employees.....

This gal who interviewed people said she took them out to eat, and if they salted their food before tasting it, she wouldn't hire them. She said it meant they didn't think things through first.

I have very good social manners. I say "please" and "thank you" and "excuse me", I call people I don't know "sir" or "ma'am" or "miss", and I use peoples' proper titles until they invite me to use their given names. I open doors for people and offer to help carry groceries and get cars unstuck from the snow. I try to avoid using vulgar language, especially around women and children.

your mother is proud of you! i like the helping people and avoiding the vulgar words around kids and others....i cuss like a sailor but avoid it in public.

My table manners are well below average. I chew with my mouth closed and I do not engage in bodily functions at the table. But I am not accustomed to dining with others, so I tend to eat too quickly without taking time to converse, and I hover protectively over my food until I'm finished eating. I also tend to pick bones, eat garnishes, and use my bread to sop up sauces and juices. I try very hard not to be disgusting, and I think I succeed, but I can't really focus on anything but eating until I'm done eating.

o dear, where to start? chewing with mouth closed and the no bodily functions are good...
now you are not eating with others so you are eating like a dog...by which i mean you are eating hunched over your food that is normally the protective stance...giving you really bad posture...move your plate closer to you...bring it closer to you will force you to sit up...you can only hunch that spine so much....hmmm the picking bones...in private go for it..in publc no....now you may eat anything fried with your fingers if that helps...i cant believe you eat garnishes....cause i do too...i was raised to not waste food..that little curl of orange is being eaten...i am not sure of the rules on that...i will check and get back to yall...the bread thing has become less offensive as now they served oils with herbs for you to do just that with...but refrain from that in a finer dining area....i will check on the garnish eating rules..i dont think you are suppose to eat them...but it is a waste of food and you strike me as an "eater" nothing wrong with that....

uh oh we both need to stop eating the damned garnishes.....seems they are sometimes reused by places...now i would think that would be the radish roses and things of that nature...

and its not considered well mannered...

o and it is very true that the way you treat the peons is the test of character....you must appear to be civil to them

but there are the things i thought we might discuss:

proper use of the napkin

when one begins to eat when dining with others

perhaps help is needed in the silver ware and glass department

help in the correct way a gentleman treats a lady while dining

not only am i am fashion maven but i am very well mannered...till i go off...then katie bar the door

o and it is very true that the way you treat the peons is the test of character....you must appear to be civil to them

I used to be one of those "peons" bones..................

I don't "appear" to be civil to "them"-I AM civil to "them." -Always.

do you even feel the air move over your head?

i am a frigging cashier at a beer store....it was joke....i am still one of the peons...

I used to be one of those "peons" bones..................

I don't "appear" to be civil to "them"-I AM civil to "them." -Always.

do you even feel the air move over your head?

i am a frigging cashier at a beer store....it was joke....i am still one of the peons...

I know that dear, but no, right now, because of my damn sinus infection, I can't feel ANYTHING above, below, or inside my head, but a big, giant brick.

didnt you go to doc yesterday.....i am sorry....i am not paying much attention to anyone's problems but my own....what did doc say?

didnt you go to doc yesterday.....i am sorry....i am not paying much attention to anyone's problems but my own....what did doc say?

Sinus infection, she put me on antibiotics and a nose spray. I fell worse than I did yesterday, thank goodness I have 80 sick days built up!

Forum List

Back