Good Job Mr. President!

IndependntLogic

Jul 14, 2011
Okay so Obama wants to streamline government. Sounds like he's finally listening to the Tea Party and Libertarians! Of course Repubs have always claimed this but usually while growing the government.
So good. Is it because it's an election year? Who gives a flick. Getting Congress to do anything useful has proven impossible. Dems and Repubs are both too busy making sure the other side looks bad, to worry about the best interest of the country. So screw 'em. This is a good thing. Of course, after having made this their mantra for years, The Right will have to find SOME way to spin this as a negative and I'm truly curious to see how they'll do it. My bet is they'll go with the election year thing but who knows? They may try to feck up the process of reducing government, just to make Obama look bad. Wouldn't that be ironic?

Another good thing? I own a small business. We are the REAL "job creators" in the USA but while the government gives tax breaks, subsidies and every bit of help from the government to companies that ship jobs overseas, we get squat.
So Obama is making SBA a cabinet level position. This is the best news in years IF, the post has any teeth and there is ever any progress in helping us. We'll see.

So for three years, I've thought and posted that Obama pretty much sucks balls when it comes to his domestic agenda.
He still does. But he's slightly less bad than he was and even though I don't think he's a good president, I can acknowledge when he does get something right. This is one of those times.
I still won't vote for him though.

Even a shmuck gets off a good one every now and then.
But this is the administration that wanted $100M in cuts in cabinet departments and announced they would be phasing out Fan/Fred.
Watch what he does, not what he says.

what a joke...

Streamline Government..

Did I hear it would "save" 3billion OVER Ten years...

Last edited:
Okay so Obama wants to streamline government. Sounds like he's finally listening to the Tea Party and Libertarians! Of course Repubs have always claimed this but usually while growing the government.
So good. Is it because it's an election year? Who gives a flick. Getting Congress to do anything useful has proven impossible. Dems and Repubs are both too busy making sure the other side looks bad, to worry about the best interest of the country. So screw 'em. This is a good thing. Of course, after having made this their mantra for years, The Right will have to find SOME way to spin this as a negative and I'm truly curious to see how they'll do it. My bet is they'll go with the election year thing but who knows? They may try to feck up the process of reducing government, just to make Obama look bad. Wouldn't that be ironic?

Another good thing? I own a small business. We are the REAL "job creators" in the USA but while the government gives tax breaks, subsidies and every bit of help from the government to companies that ship jobs overseas, we get squat.
So Obama is making SBA a cabinet level position. This is the best news in years IF, the post has any teeth and there is ever any progress in helping us. We'll see.

So for three years, I've thought and posted that Obama pretty much sucks balls when it comes to his domestic agenda.
He still does. But he's slightly less bad than he was and even though I don't think he's a good president, I can acknowledge when he does get something right. This is one of those times.

Did the Big 0 state a number certain that would be laid off as a result of his streamlining? The exact number of dollars that are to be cu, that is reduced from the spending?

Until there is actual and measurable reductions, there is no streamlining.

So far, all we have is words. Based on past experience, unless he's promising to squander tax dollars and borrowed money, the only thing his words signify is hot air and noise.

Did he manage to set up a villain in this announcement? I'm guessing he did.

I've read that the Repub congress is on vacation until the beginning of February. But, since they can now call in their filibusters, they'll be able to trashcan this in no time - Just as they have in the past.

So, don't wait for this to be reality any time soon.

Hopefully, he'll just go over their heads again.

Have you actually read all of his accomplishments on the home front? If you have, I'm at a loss to understand why you would say this. Are you blaming him for the dozens of Repub-filibustered bills? It is, after all, the Republicans who have brought this country to a halt and stalled all attempts to move forward.

In case you're interested, here's another link to his accomplishments.
What the fuck has Obama done so far?

Gobbling up the pony show points?

This is his way of attempting to sway those that see govt. as too big. If he really thought this was an effective plan, he would have been looking to do this stuff years ago. It's a campaign strategy. Don't drink the kool aid.

The suggestion is a good one, and it needs to be vetted by both sides.

Those who oppose it because they don't like it as Obama's idea are cretins.

So were those who opposed good Bush ideas simply because they were Bush ideas.

Last edited:

Everyone wants to be like Ron Paul these days. I am interested to know if real cuts come of this. I doubt it.

Did the Big 0 state a number certain that would be laid off as a result of his streamlining? The exact number of dollars that are to be cu, that is reduced from the spending?

Until there is actual and measurable reductions, there is no streamlining.

So far, all we have is words. Based on past experience, unless he's promising to squander tax dollars and borrowed money, the only thing his words signify is hot air and noise.

Did he manage to set up a villain in this announcement? I'm guessing he did.

Actually Obama has kept a LOT of his promises. I mean a really surprisingly high number of them and not little piddly bs - he's kept his promises on BIG stuff.
So although overall, I feel he sucks and I won't vote for him, I can acknowledge his integrity and accomplishments when applicable.

What are the big promises kept?

Well he promised to revamp health care and although I think ObamaCare sucks big time, he did keep his promise.
He promised to shift the focus from Iraq to Afghanistan until he found the people who were actually responsible for 9/11 and rained justice down upon them. He did EXACTLY that. Getting OBL was cool too!
He promised to repeal DADT. That was huge.
He promised to get us out of Iraq. That's huge.
He promised to close Git-Mo and by gosh he sure tried. So I give him credit for that, even the the GOP shut him down on it.

Those are just the ones that come to mind off the top of my head.

Keep in mind, I still think he sucks but I'm not a drone so I have no problem with acknowledging the stuff he does right.

what a joke...

Streamline Government..

Ah! The first predicted salvo! Okay let's hear it Steph. Why is this a bad thing?

3 billion over ten years is 300 million a year. We increase debt by 900 billion a year.

Its a joke. Its not real cuts. Its giving lip service to the true statesman who will be president in 2012 without actually doing anything.

what a joke...

Streamline Government..

Ah! The first predicted salvo! Okay let's hear it Steph. Why is this a bad thing?

In general, it is a good thing. In specific, there are a couple of details that need more thought. Combining the trade negotiations and regulation and enforcement in one office could lead to some conflicts of interest. Didn't we just separate out the regulation and enforcement out of the Bureau of Mines because the BP oil spill showed that there was to much camaraderie and too little concern about safety?

Well he promised to revamp health care and although I think ObamaCare sucks big time, he did keep his promise.
He promised to shift the focus from Iraq to Afghanistan until he found the people who were actually responsible for 9/11 and rained justice down upon them. He did EXACTLY that. Getting OBL was cool too!
He promised to close Git-Mo and by gosh he sure tried. So I give him credit for that, even the the GOP shut him down on it.

Keep in mind, I still think he sucks but I'm not a drone so I have no problem with acknowledging the stuff he does right.

Obamacare, sure. Whatever you believe about its effectiveness.

The shift out of Iraq was more or less mandatory at the time of withdrawal. No points awarded there. (And we are still there in a big way) That withdrawal date was scheduled by Bush and the Iraq interim govt.

Justice, under the law, was certainly not served to the criminals alleged to orchestrate 9/11. FAIL. Justice is not assassination. That's actually lawlessness in action.

Repeal of DADT. OK, but he never promised that. And it is quite minor. It affects very few.

Duplicates abound on the next one. We covered that already (and we are not out)

Gitmo is a travesty on his part. No points awarded.

Anything else?

Didn't the supreme court overturn DADT?
He tried to negotiate a longer stay in Iraq but failed, and that was the withdraw date Bush set anyway.
He didn't try very hard to close gitmo, he realized it's needed.

If those are the 3 examples of promises kept they are awful weak.

Forum List

Back