Good Heart

You may have an intellectual's understanding of Buddhism from teaching comparative religion but that is not the same as practicing Buddhism.

Does that mean we can't understand and criticize Nazism if we;re not Nazis?

I have studied with Lamas, Rinpoches, Yogis and Khenpos.

Did you ever consider thinking for yourself?

BTW, when you call buddhism a religion, you reveal your own misconceptions

You may have an intellectual's understanding of Buddhism from teaching comparative religion but that is not the same as practicing Buddhism.

Does that mean we can't understand and criticize Nazism if we;re not Nazis?

I have studied with Lamas, Rinpoches, Yogis and Khenpos.

Did you ever consider thinking for yourself?

BTW, when you call buddhism a religion, you reveal your own misconceptions

Hey J--

How are ya? Still grumpy?

When you snipped my post you took out the context. Foxfyre was giving me her credentials as a Professor of Comparative Religion. I was sharing how I come by my knowledge of Buddhism and who I studied with letting her know that my knowledge is NOT formally academic but practical from meditation standpoint.

I certainly do think for myself.

It's true that Buddhists debate whether Buddhism is a religon or not. There is no one answer black or white to that question.

Why are you so grouchy about this topic? Have I offended you?

Last edited:
I think all spiritual paths and religion are designed to develop "Good Heart". I think when we discuss Christianity or Buddhism or Islam it would be so wonderful to start here with this premise.

What do you think? How does your religion teach you to have a 'good heart'?

I disagree.

The bottom line is you have a good heart or you don't. You are kind or you are not. You are generous or not. You have wisdom or not. You are loving or not. You have compassion or not.

No amount of religion will get you any of that.

So, you don't believe that any of those qualities can be taught, via observation or other methods of teaching, or nutured?

The mind not the heart is the seat of all human reasoning.

The best way to develop a good heart is to exercise and eat well.

The best way to develop a good mind is to educate oneself and not blindly follow the dogmas of any religion.

The same way it works into Zionism and the genocide of the Ammonites, the Jesubites, the Ammonites, and the Hittites in pursuit of a racially pure homeland promised by god.

Exactly my point. Religions are evil. :clap2:

Good hearts have NOTHING to do with ANY religion. Having religion does not give you a good heart.

All religions are evil? How so? How is Buddhism evil? Show me the Buddhist teaching that is evil.

Why I ditched Buddhism. - By John Horgan - Slate Magazine

Exactly my point. Religions are evil. :clap2:

Good hearts have NOTHING to do with ANY religion. Having religion does not give you a good heart.

All religions are evil? How so? How is Buddhism evil? Show me the Buddhist teaching that is evil.

*Why I ditched Buddhism. - By John Horgan - Slate Magazine

"
What's worse, Buddhism holds that enlightenment makes you morally infallible—like the pope, but more so. Even the otherwise sensible James Austin perpetuates this insidious notion. " 'Wrong' actions won't arise," he writes, "when a brain continues truly to express the self-nature intrinsic to its [transcendent] experiences." Buddhists infected with this belief can easily excuse their teachers' abusive acts as hallmarks of a "crazy wisdom" that the unenlightened cannot fathom.
But what troubles me most about Buddhism is its implication that detachment from ordinary life is the surest route to salvation. Buddha's first step toward enlightenment was his abandonment of his wife and child, and Buddhism (like Catholicism) still exalts male monasticism as the epitome of spirituality. It seems legitimate to ask whether a path that turns away from aspects of life as essential as sexuality and parenthood is truly spiritual. From this perspective, the very concept of enlightenment begins to look anti-spiritual: It suggests that life is a problem that can be solved, a cul-de-sac that can be, and should be, escaped."

:cuckoo:

*Why I ditched Buddhism. - By John Horgan - Slate Magazine

"
What's worse, Buddhism holds that enlightenment makes you morally infallible—like the pope, but more so. Even the otherwise sensible James Austin perpetuates this insidious notion. " 'Wrong' actions won't arise," he writes, "when a brain continues truly to express the self-nature intrinsic to its [transcendent] experiences." Buddhists infected with this belief can easily excuse their teachers' abusive acts as hallmarks of a "crazy wisdom" that the unenlightened cannot fathom.
But what troubles me most about Buddhism is its implication that detachment from ordinary life is the surest route to salvation. Buddha's first step toward enlightenment was his abandonment of his wife and child, and Buddhism (like Catholicism) still exalts male monasticism as the epitome of spirituality. It seems legitimate to ask whether a path that turns away from aspects of life as essential as sexuality and parenthood is truly spiritual. From this perspective, the very concept of enlightenment begins to look anti-spiritual: It suggests that life is a problem that can be solved, a cul-de-sac that can be, and should be, escaped."

:cuckoo:

Apparently, so does Jesus!

Matthew 10 KJV

35 For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.

36 And a man's foes shall be they of his own household.

37 He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.

The bottom line is you have a good heart or you don't. You are kind or you are not. You are generous or not. You have wisdom or not. You are loving or not. You have compassion or not.

So, you don't believe that any of those qualities can be taught, via observation or other methods of teaching, or nutured?

They can be nurtured. I believe you either have them or you don't. Religion will not give you a good heart.

They can be nurtured. I believe you either have them or you don't. Religion will not give you a good heart.

So, you believe that someone is either born good or bad, and that nothing done after that point can have an effect on the ultimate result as an adult? But, if the good is inherently there at birth, it can be expanded?

The only grouch here is the one claiming that she's being bashed because she proved the stupidity of her own sig line.

The sig line is a direct quote from the Lankavatara Sutra and are the words of Shakyamuni Buddha

If you think it's stupid, so be it. It is for you because you don't understand it.

Last edited:

So, you believe that someone is either born good or bad, and that nothing done after that point can have an effect on the ultimate result as an adult? But, if the good is inherently there at birth, it can be expanded?

Yes, that is about it. It is about personality traits. You cannot change your personality. You are exactly who and what you are. No amount of religion can change that.

Yes, that is about it. It is about personality traits. You cannot change your personality. You are exactly who and what you are. No amount of religion can change that.

I have to sort of disagree with this. It is true that we are all born with certain temperament traits that are evident from a very early age. Some are chiseled in granite; some are more fluid and less rigid. But temperament is not the same thing as personality and a shy person can learn to be not shy; an aggressive person can learn to be more considerate or concilatory, one terrified of public speaking or performing in public can learn to do that competently and lose their stage fright, etc. etc. etc. Likewise, people who started out happy and loving can become bitter, withdrawn, and angry as their response to negative life experiences. Some of this is unconscious but most is concious choice and intentional effort.

I started out life as a shy, uncertain, and self loathing child who didn't feel like she fit in anywhere. And here I am, now practically a fully functioning adult.

Practically????

A good heart is one that survives the wounds of life and still be generous and loving.
heart%20stabbed%20broken%20break.jpg

The mind not the heart is the seat of all human reasoning.

The best way to develop a good heart is to exercise and eat well.

The best way to develop a good mind is to educate oneself and not blindly follow the dogmas of any religion.

Sounds awfully like your preaching a dogma to your own personal religion there... just saying:)

So Satanists have a "Good Heart"?

Hedonism is not a religion, but they have "A Good Time"--can we substitute that for "Good Heart"??

So Satanists have a "Good Heart"?

Hedonism is not a religion, but they have "A Good Time"--can we substitute that for "Good Heart"??

I knew one who did. A girl in my high school that I was friends with.

I think all spiritual paths and religion are designed to develop "Good Heart". I think when we discuss Christianity or Buddhism or Islam it would be so wonderful to start here with this premise.

What do you think? How does your religion teach you to have a 'good heart'?

Good according to whom?

Forum List

Back