Good Heart

Sky Dancer

Rookie
Jan 21, 2009
I think all spiritual paths and religion are designed to develop "Good Heart". I think when we discuss Christianity or Buddhism or Islam it would be so wonderful to start here with this premise.

What do you think? How does your religion teach you to have a 'good heart'?

• Banned
As I understand it, jihad is supposed to be an inner experience. Kind of a spiritual battle inside.

I hope this thread doesn't turn into another Muslim bash. My intention is to show good heart in all people, be they atheist, pagan, Christian, Muslim or Buddhist.

I think all spiritual paths and religion are designed to develop "Good Heart". I think when we discuss Christianity or Buddhism or Islam it would be so wonderful to start here with this premise.

"Good" by what standard?

• Banned

"Good" by what standard?

Well, I think we may all define 'good' differently. When I use the term, 'good heart', I am thinking of kindness, generosity, patience, wisdom, love and compassion. I am thinking of how we all strive to cultivate a good heart full of qualities like that.

All religions?

How does good heart work into jihad?
The same way it works into Zionism and the genocide of the Ammonites, the Jesubites, the Ammonites, and the Hittites in pursuit of a racially pure homeland promised by god.

Exactly my point. Religions are evil. :clap2:

Good hearts have NOTHING to do with ANY religion. Having religion does not give you a good heart.

• Banned
All religions?

The same way it works into Zionism and the genocide of the Ammonites, the Jesubites, the Moabites, and the Hittites in pursuit of a racially pure homeland promised by god.

That may be true to a large extent with the groups you mentioned. That doesn't mean that some Muslims don't find 'good heart' in their practice of Islam.

All religions?

The same way it works into Zionism and the genocide of the Ammonites, the Jesubites, the Ammonites, and the Hittites in pursuit of a racially pure homeland promised by god.

Good hearts have NOTHING to do with ANY religion. Having religion does not give you a good heart.

All religions are evil? How so? How is Buddhism evil? Show me the Buddhist teaching that is evil.

All religions?

The same way it works into Zionism and the genocide of the Ammonites, the Jesubites, the Moabites, and the Hittites in pursuit of a racially pure homeland promised by god.

That may be true to a large extent with the groups you mentioned. That doesn't mean that some Muslims don't find 'good heart' in their practice of Islam.
And some find a good heart through Luciferianism

Some have good hearts who are atheists

Seems religion itself has jack shit to do with a man's ability to be good

All religions are evil? How so? How is Buddhism evil? Show me the Buddhist teaching that is evil.
Buddhism justifies the suffering of the poor and the prosecuted by saying they deserve their suffering a result of past sins. Like Abrahamism's 'original sin', Karma oft serves as an excuse for doing nothing when confronted with evil on the world.

That in itself is evil.

Buddhism justifies the suffering of the poor and the prosecuted by saying they deserve their suffering a result of past sins. Like Abrahamism's 'original sin', Karma oft serves as an excuse for doing nothing when confronted with evil on the world.

That in itself is evil.

That's a misunderstanding of the Buddha's teachings on karma and the teachings on suffering. The Buddha says we should practice generosity which is part of the path of practice leading to enlightenment. It creates merit. The Buddha taught extensively on the topic of suffering.

Karma is not predestination or original sin. You are confusing other religions with Buddhism.

If you want to explore the topic of karma why not start a thread on it? I am happy to discuss further and clear up any misconceptions.

Most of the time people are sick of me talking about Buddhism. So, I won't do so unless you're really interested.

Last edited:
It is not the religions that are evil but the human beings who corrupt them for their own evil purpose who are evil.

The bottom line is you have a good heart or you don't. You are kind or you are not. You are generous or not. You have wisdom or not. You are loving or not. You have compassion or not.

No amount of religion will get you any of that.

Everyone should have a good heart. A good set of lungs and good kidneys. A good gallbladder couldn't hurt either. Top it all off with the religion of your choice.

That in itself is evil.

That's a misunderstanding of the Buddha's teachings on karma and the teachings on suffering. The Buddha says we should practice generosity which is part of the path of practice leading to enlightenment. It creates merit. The Buddha taught extensively on the topic of suffering.

Karma is not predestination or original sin. You are confusing other religions with Buddhism.

If you want to explore the topic of karma why not start a thread on it? I am happy to discuss further and clear up any misconceptions.

Most of the time people are sick of me talking about Buddhism. So, I won't do so unless you're really interested.

1) There's no one buddha- all work to become buddhas. Siddhartha Gautama is not the only person to ever achieve enlightenment

2) Karma means that your lot in this life is predestined for your sins- including good deeds- in your past life/lives

3) Since one seeks balance, Siddhartha's teachings actually mean that too much goodness prevents one from reaching nirvana

This, of course, assumes we're talking about what he actually taught and not one of the cults that sprang up after his death, some of which went so far as to declare him 'the buddha' and make him into a god.

It does not demonstrate a 'good heart' as I think of 'good heart' to pretend that there isn't a downside to doctrine as it is developed in all religions. Some purport to be so open minded and non judgmental that they encourage focus on self and selfishness to the detriment of others and themselves.

Some are so intolerant and judgmental that they encourage punishment or disaffiliation with all others to the detriment of others and themselves.

And some endorse, even demand, outright cruelty, hatred, destruction, and murder of all who offend their god or their prophett and a 'good heart' in my opinion condemns that.

My definition of 'good heart' is to be free from sin. My definition of sin is that which harms ourselves and/or others in any way. And since we are all sinners and fall short, it is impossible to claim credit for 'good heart'. That has to come from outside ourselves which is a whole other discussion. :)

Last edited:
One successful attack on America and she has lost her mind. Fear is powerful stuff. Just today the History channel had a piece on the rise of the Third Reich, and the commentary noted the same effect on Germans after the Reichstag fire.

"To know a person's religion we need not listen to his profession of faith but must find his brand of intolerance." Eric Hoffer

"... Christians have already lost their independence when they attempt to find political solutions for problems that are essentially cultural and prepolitical — in other words, when they ask politics to do what politics cannot do.

When there has been a profound sea change in culture, as the United States has experienced since the 1960s, it is both foolish and futile to think that it can be reversed and restored by politics alone. That approach will always fail, and can only fail. Politics is downstream from the deep and important changes in American culture, and what lies upstream is mostly beyond the reach of political action. Thus overreaching political activism is bound not only to fail, but to leave the cultural changes more deeply entrenched than ever and those fighting them weaker than ever." Os Guinness 'The Case For Civility" [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Case-Civility-Why-Future-Depends/dp/B002XUM2GU/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8]Amazon.com: The Case for Civility: And Why Our Future Depends on It: Os Guinness: Books[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:
The bottom line is you have a good heart or you don't. You are kind or you are not. You are generous or not. You have wisdom or not. You are loving or not. You have compassion or not.

No amount of religion will get you any of that.

This is true. There are good people who do not believe in God. They volunteer and help people out. And on the other hand you have some religious people who are hurtful and spiteful. And then you have the zealot's who are in a class by themselves. But in the end I think it is a product of how you are raised, from your family, the people who you interact with during those formative years and your environment.

Religion itself is based on the human need of "purpose", we need to have a goal or something to strive for, something to measure our lives. We are creatures of limitations, our minds cannot comprehend infinity let alone immortality. Forever is forever, without end...

Forum List

Back