Good for them, Iraqi Soccer Team..

insein

Apr 10, 2004
Philadelphia, Amazing huh...
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20040821/D84JOI7O0.html

I don't care if they said anything political. I don't care if they hate the Americans. If they win gold, we made it all possible for them to do so.

Iraq Pulls Off Another Soccer Stunner

Email this Story

Aug 21, 1:40 PM (ET)

By JOSEPH WHITE

(AP) Iraq's Munir Qusai, right, goes for the ball against Australia's Anthony Danze in a men's...
Full Image

IRAKLION, Greece (AP) - Emad Mohammed's 12-yard bicycle kick in the 64th minute gave Iraq a 1-0 victory over Australia in the quarterfinals Saturday, putting the invaded, war-torn country in position to compete for only its second Olympic medal in the nation's history.

Iraq will play either Paraguay or South Korea in the semifinals in Thessaloniki on Tuesday. Even a loss in the semis would put the Iraqis in the bronze medal game, where they could become the first athletes from their country to win a medal since Abdul Wahid Aziz's weightlifting bronze in Rome in 1960.

Two more victories would mean a gold medal and a promised $25,000 reward for each player from the recently reinstated Iraqi Olympic Committee. The committee had conceded it may need sponsors to come through with the cash, considering there are 18 players on the roster.

The goal came on a corner kick. Mahdi Karim sacrificed his body to head the ball to Mohammed, who flipped himself upside down to put his shot inside the right post. Karim was injured on the play and lay on the field for a couple of minutes, but he returned to the game.

The goal set off jubilant celebrations among more than 1,000 Iraqi supporters, hundreds of whom had been chanting and waving flags since an hour before kickoff.

The fact that Iraq even qualified for the Athens Games was a remarkable achievement. They clinched a berth in May, just three months after the country was reinstated by the International Olympic Committee following a nine-month absence. The national Olympic committee was previously run by Saddam Hussein's son, Odai, who tortured players when they fell out of favor.

Two months after qualifying, the team's German coach, Bernd Stange, resigned because of safety reasons and was replaced by his assistant and former Iraqi player, Adnan Hamad. The team could not play any home games because of the war and had virtually no funding.

The Australians were the hard-luck victims of the Iraqis' exuberant play. The Socceroos had the better scoring chances throughout the match, even though they played without three regular starters. Defender Craig Moore and midfielders Ahmad Elrich and Tim Cahill were suspended after receiving two yellow cards in the first round. Elrich and Cahill had accounted for three of Australia's six first-round goals.

Australia actually put the ball in the net in the 48th minute when Anthony Danze knocked in a rebound after two excellent saves by goalkeeper Nour Sabri, but the play was ruled offsides. Sabri then made a leaping save on John Aloisi's header in the 59th, and Australia's Luke Wilkshire hit the crossbar in the 66th.

Iraq's Razzaq Farhan had a chance to make it 2-0 after a nifty move around Adrian Madaschi in the penalty area, but Farhan pushed his shot wide.

Iraq advanced out of the first round with upsets over Portugal and Costa Rica before losing to Morocco. The soccer team last qualified for the Olympics at the 1988 Seoul Games and hadn't been in the quarterfinals since Moscow in 1980.

It may be silly but I'm loving this too----the world has GOT to see that America helped out a few folks AT LEAST! GO IRAQI SOCCER !!

I watched them slap around Portugal and thought, "I don't care how much crap I take from libs opposing the war, stuff like this makes it all worth it."

insein said:
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20040821/D84JOI7O0.html

I don't care if they said anything political. I don't care if they hate the Americans. If they win gold, we made it all possible for them to do so.

I can almost imagine how this simple competition is working miracles in the minds of many Iraqis...

1. Soccer is the #1 sport in Iraq today.

2. Without Uday's 'coaching' style, their team is performing beyond a level once enforced by fear and pain. A subtle reminder of the former regimes failure to succeed in any endevour.

3. Most everyone in Iraq can actually watch the Olympics and see their team on sattlelight TV, at a friends or in a restaurant. Something new.

4. 1,000 Iraqi's in the crowd waving their flag, visible proof of something that would never have happened under Saddam... to let so many travel to Greece. And all Iraqis watching surely note that.

5. YOU KNOW this ABSOLUTELY has to grate on the Euroweenies, watching Iraq kick ass in 'football'. The only thing that would make this drama more perfect, is if they played France for the GOLD and won.

I was seeing all this on t.v. last night and I was thinking to myself-"I never thought I would be happy that Iraq won anything"!

This made me feel good too,and so proud of what our country has done.Sit back and watch freedom soak in.
:usa:

I just hope Bush doesn't go to Athens as Drudge is reporting. It would add too much politics to the games and focus attention on himself instead of the athletes. SOMEONE STOP HIM !! :bat:

dilloduck said:
I just hope Bush doesn't go to Athens as Drudge is reporting. It would add too much politics to the games and focus attention on himself instead of the athletes. SOMEONE STOP HIM !! :bat:

You think it would really be a bad idea? I saw during opening ceremonies that Tony Blair was there.

dilloduck said:

Here's what I have in mind, dillo...

At the climax of the closing ceremony, in the final score, as the fireworks go off, a rush of air will signal the arrival of a fully operational Osprey... from the window Bush will beam and wave and the thousands watching from the stadium who of course wonder what the hell is going on... and then he'll (at the copilot controls, hehe) hover over the torch and snuff it out!

If we can put a tank in the back and let Bush drive it out, he can do some cookies in the grass, and maybe even rig up some plastic turkeys to shoot out the cannon into the crowd...

What an entrance!

The world will will look upon in awe!

And they'll think he's fucking insane!

A huge improvement over being an evil bastard, almost likable!

Count me in!

Forum List

Back