Good Feeling...or not?

M

MattDaGreat2005

Knowing that you've been accused of a misdemeanor that in some other places is encouraged to help the economy....it's pretty nice. I got picked up for skating but when they brought me into the police station to file my report and place me into the log, they didn't even follow proper procedures to place someone under arrest. I suppose it is because there was no warrant out for me, but regardless, it was odd just to fill out a piece of paper and have my picture taken, and then be placed in a jail cell for 30 minutes and wait until my mother could leave work and come pay the 200 dollars required to get me out. No fingerprints, thank goodness. This kind of brings up a conflict, because on top of the fact that I lost the approximately 100 dollars given to me by my relatives on christmas, now I have forced my mother to come pay the police station 200 more dollars to get me out of jail, and for what? Nothing other than skateboarding, because city council members, in their infinite wisdom, could not think of a better way to resolve the so called ''problem'' of skateboarders around this tiny redneck town than to make it completely illegal to skate in ANY public place or sidewalk. Ridiculous. So what if my mode of transportation happens to be a skateboard? Does that lower me on the social ladder? What about people that walk from house to house? Or for that matter, bikes? Is it only because they are considered a threat to citizens? Can we ban walking? Of course not. I highly doubt anyone around here has voiced any concern on this matter, rather, it came from a false belief that anyone who skateboards is a threat to city property and may cause them to spend more money that they would rather keep to themselves. But, even so, this is not the case. What can I do? I've asked my father and mother about it, all I get is ''It's your fault, I told you not to be doing that when they told you not to''. It's probably for your own good, Matthew''. We've done the obvious: going to the monthly city council meetings, even called and set up the gathering beforehand. But no, when we show up, they leave the actual decisions on where a so-called ''skatepark'' would be located, should it be built, to themselves. How fucking assbackward can you get? We do what we can to make things better for US, the very few, probably 5 or 6 kids, that actually SKATE. Then, in my case, I get even less help from my parents; all they care about are the ''No-Skating'' signs, and they continually tell me ''follow the rules''. Skateboarding has never been a problem to anyone in this city. It will NEVER be a problem. There is not enough support for it around here for it to even be a slight distraction. Do they think they are removing the ''problem'' before it arises? I will never understand how 4 or 5 people, mainly just ME, can cause enough distraction to ban skating on ANY property, much less the entire town. There wasn't anything to skate on besides flatground in the first place, now they want to make it even worse? ''Whats wrong with taking your plaything wheelie-boards to the blacktop park''? Oh boy, a continual uphill slope filled with rocks! What more could I FUCKING want? The only answers are to either limit myself and make my own ramps and stay in one area, or just to say damn it all and take the risk of skating. (which will take some time, because my board is still at the police station). But, the one thing that will absolutely not happen would be for me to end my skating ''career'''. I think it's a given that I would not quit skating just because of a few narrowminded small town city council members who can't seem to pull their head out of their ass. This is just one of the many small obstacles I will face as a skater, and not to complain, but things can only get worse. In bigger cities, where there are MUCH larger populations of skateboarders, skaters getting in someones way may actually happen every once in a while. So, to look back again at the situation here in Springhill, LA, pop.5600, it makes it seem all the more ridiculous. What do they think they are accomplishing? Do I actually have any other choice than to continue to keep skating and do what I love, and unfortunately also continue be punished for it? I have a feeling that now, (even though they say they are busy with other things) cops are sitting with their fingers crossed waiting for me or someone like me to ''break the rules''. What's also great about all of this is that the mayor probably has no clue as to all the fussing going on about it. His only role in this whole matter is signing a paper that made skating a crime. What the fuck? Do I need to actually contact HIM, and tell him what a huge mistake he has made, and that the law should be reversed? Or would he actually care, and just laugh at me and push me aside like everyone else? As long as this stays a small matter, as it is now, just between me, a couple friends, and a certain cop, it will never change. Two years ago we started up a petition, while I was a freshman in high school, to begin work on a skatepark that would provide an ALTERNATIVE place for us to skate, not the ONLY place. Not much later, when we had gotten several people to sign the petition, it was submitted to city hall, and they proceeded to shoot one big lie of out their ass. It has been in our town paper TWICE that ''Construction on skatepark will begin soon''. What a joke. I hate the fact that my mother or father will not take a stand and say what needs to be said. They don't seem to see that my opinion is not valued, when in actuality, it should be the most important, because after all, aren't I the one who is/will actually be skating? Maybe if they would say something, someone might listen.
I also know that a majority of the reasoning behind the laws and ordinances passed to stop skating stem from insurance woes and fear of being sued. It's all about money. I wish they could see that by now, I have been injured several times, and I am NOT going to sue anyone. There will not be a sudden explosion of skaters that come into this town anytime soon, so they could do me and the 3 or 4 other kids that are unfortunate to live in this retirement town a huge favor, and quit being cynical ''know-it-all'' figureheads that pass rules without getting ANY input whatsoever from us. Is it not my duty as a citizen to ensure that the laws passed by city government are in my best interest? Where do I come in? The only thing I have done thus far is what they tell me, besides actually NOT skating. That will NEVER happen. Some action needs to be taken. Either that or I need to go into hibernation until I'm 18 and old enough to hopefully be able to move out on my own from this piece of hell. It will be anything but easy, I am afraid. I still need a decent steady job, and a car, license, etc. If I don't begin to get these things soon, I will be here for quite a while longer than I expected. But my aim is not to be like everyone else and remain here until their mid 20's then finally move out. That is much too late; I don't want to waste another quarter of my life away trying to prepare to leave. I hear the questions ''College''? and ''Where you gonna go''? ringing in my ears more than anything else, and I fear that there is no other way to escape this hell than to do it by way of college, that is, an escape without having to endure a couple years of near-poverty. That is all. Wish me luck in these next 2 or 3 years. They will be the most changing times of my life, and I fear many friendships and aquaintances I have previously had will be broken or lost. I've just got to keep my head up and stay beyond all these stupid games that people play around here, and the dullard mindset that so many of the people my age around here seem to be stuck in.

Sorry your Mom lost 200 bucks. Most skateboarders that I have seen around here could give a rats ass for anything or anyone who happens to get in their way! I have even seen these young punks come into the local Quick Check riding the damn things! (only to be promptly thrown out). Ordinances are passed for a reason, and obviously you and your friends are not handling the responsibility of riding skateboards. I would love to be able to drive at 70mph on my way to work, but there is a law against it. If I do decide to drive that fast, I have no one to blame but myself when I get busted! Continue to disobey laws and you will find yourself in a lot more than $200 worth of trouble!!

Joan with your avatar and MattdaGreat2005 attached photo, I would think he was Jim's long lost brother.:p:
That's two birds in one thread.:D

No more than I expected. ''Continue to disobey laws and you'll be in a lot more trouble than 200 dollars''. Like you actually give a shit we lost 200 dollars. Give me a break.

You've obviously never ridden a skateboard with the intent of learning how to do it for even once in your life. And no, everyone that skates is not a ''young punk''. There are people that live their lives for skating day in, day out, and fight these stupid laws put into place by clueless city politicians. But honestly I suppose there is no use trying to explain this to people like you who believe ''the law is always right''. Laws are supposed to HELP us, not hurt us! Think about it. What hurt am I doing by riding a fucking skateboard down a road- NOT a highway. What good does it do to arrest me? Before this law was put into efffect I never hassled anyone or got in their way, so the answer is NONE. The fact that there is no ''designated'' place for us to skate just shows how hypocrtical that this no-skating law is. Until there is such a place, I'll keep skating whether the suits like it or not. Sorry.

Matt, let me offer you a piece of advice, and you probably will not want to hear it. Look I can't say that I disagree with everything you said, I think you guys should have a place to do your thing. Hey its a lot better to skate than many other things I can think of. I have no problem with that. At the same time though, there are laws and what Joan was trying to say is that like them or not they have to be followed ! I don't like the government telling me a have to wear a seatbelt, but I have to do it anyway. If you don't like them do something about it, and please don't give me the copout that no one listens to young people. They do listen when young people express themselves the right way, and being honest with you, look at your posts, this is not the way to do it. Hey whether you agree or not with what Joan said, you do not need to be so rude to her, she has a right to her opinion, as do you. You have no clue what prompted her to feel the way she does, and you responding to her that way, just reinforces her feeling about a lot of kids being punks. You know matt, you have to think some of these thing through, a good example are some of the laws that you hate so much, and I understand why to a degree, but you have to understand too. People today don't take any personal responsibility for their actions, now this may not be you, but rest assured if a kid got hurt on a sidewalk somewhere skating, the next thing you know their parents are suing the city for letting you skate there. We have a pond by our house and kids used to play ice hockey there, then one day a kid feel through the ice, next thing you know his parents brought a lawsuit against the town, and now ice skating is prohibited. Trust me matt the people who make our laws constantly have to think about these things. I think we all can share in the blame for many of our laws. People tend to take advantage or go overboard and ruin it for everyone. Just think about it, and if you want to be heard, you have to drop some of the anger, which just turns people off, and start thinking of ways to change things.

That said I do think you owe Joan an appology. Look at my posts I have appologized to people too. She is a good person and deserves more respect than you showed her. Look at what she said, she did not attack you personally, give her the same courtesy, and you will get respect.

Just my thoughts......

Matt -

FYI, I did try a skateboard a couple of times, almost broke my neck, but I did try it. In the day, I was pretty good at water skiing, tried surfing, so tell me again I don't know what I'm talking about. I may be old, but I'm not dead yet! And yes, I raised four kids who tried about anything out there that there was to try. In fact one son still thinks he has an obligation to heave snowballs at a passing squad car! As a mom, I've had to bail a couple of my kids out, and that was the comment toward your Mom- I know how it feels. And she is correct in saying you need to follow the laws. I also have a friend at work whose 17 year old was killed trying to cross a main highway on his skateboard (even though they are against the law in that town also). Most cities also have laws against scooters (motorized or other). These laws are not passed to appease the town council, but rather to ensure the safety of the citizens and the youths involved. More and more towns are opening skateboard parks, so hopefully if you approch the council with a civil tongue in your mouth, you may make progress. If you approach a council meeting with the kind of attitude you are showing here - you will get nowhere fast.

To be honest, I have no idea why I registered for this message board and posted that drivel. I knew good and well beforehand that it wasn't going to change anything.

As for Joan, I do apologize for jumping to conclusions and making assumptions. That was unneccessary.

Anyway, I think its time to end this thread, and unless someone else brings up something that I deem interesting enough to comment on, I am done posting.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Originally posted by MattDaGreat2005
To be honest, I have no idea why I registered for this message board and posted that drivel. I knew good and well beforehand that it wasn't going to change anything.

You knew it wasn't going to change anything, probably because you know you were wrong. If you think you are right, why not fight your way in the court system? At least we agree on the part about the drivel.

As for Joan, I do apologize for jumping to conclusions and making assumptions. That was unneccessary.

Progress has been made. Approach people in the future in this fashion and your bound to get more responsive answers.

Anyway, I think its time to end this thread, and unless someone else brings up something that I deem interesting enough to comment on, I am done posting.

We'll miss you! :D

Great, right when everything was settled, some middle aged message board addict comes in and gives his two cents. Yeah, so I'm wrong, huh? Put yourself in my shoes, buddy. Where am I wrong? I just stated that it is very hypocritical for a city council to install no-skating laws, signs, etc. and then at the same time not make any effort towards providing a designated area to skate on. You can't just tell me to stop skating. I've already tried more than once with the help of some of my friends around town to get something done, and it even got to the point where a date to begin construction on a park was set. Then, 6 months later, we're in the same situation. We've tried making our own ramps in an abandoned tennis court, but then police tell us they receive complaints from the so called ''owner'' of that area. I think that one of the hardest things about getting anything done is not simply getting them to ''listen to a kid like me'' or any nonsense like that. The real issue is being taken seriously. After a while, you begin to lose civility and become angry. They've lied TWICE about doing something, so I will say it again: until something is done, I will continue to take the risk and enjoy myself, and do so without harrasing ANYONE.

Sheesh jim...common sense isn't so common, is it?

But then again, I'm just an ignorant kid, I can't let myself forget that....

Originally posted by MattDaGreat2005
They've lied TWICE about doing something, so I will say it again: until something is done, I will continue to take the risk and enjoy myself, and do so without harrasing ANYONE.

You said it yourself - "I will continue to take the risk" - So don't come around bitching when those risks incur fines.

Sucks being you, we atleast, and by the Police Dept., had a skate park put in and can enjoy the skate boards and all whenever we want. Of course, I am too damn old for that crap, but can bring my kids whenever they want to.

Dear Mom,

My life is so hard. I can't skateboard wherever I want to. Life is SO hard. Please make me some milk and cookies and tuck me into bed so I can feel better about myself.

All sarcasm aside, Matt, I agree that, on most sidewalks and roads, skateboarding should be allowed. I even think that skate parks are a good idea. We have several in the towns around where I live. But how many people want a skate park? How much of a public utility would one serve? I think that the reason that you aren't getting a skate park built is because, outside of you and your friends, nobody seems to want one.

In the meantime, if you want to experience some real hardship instead of crying over modes of transportation, go join the Army.

Originally posted by gop_jeff
Dear Mom,

My life is so hard. I can't skateboard wherever I want to. Life is SO hard. Please make me some milk and cookies and tuck me into bed so I can feel better about myself.

All sarcasm aside, Matt, I agree that, on most sidewalks and roads, skateboarding should be allowed. I even think that skate parks are a good idea. We have several in the towns around where I live. But how many people want a skate park? How much of a public utility would one serve? I think that the reason that you aren't getting a skate park built is because, outside of you and your friends, nobody seems to want one.

In the meantime, if you want to experience some real hardship instead of crying over modes of transportation, go join the Army.
Thank you, Jeff. I was beginning to think I was the only person who heard violins in the background, so to speak.

Matt: did it ever occur to you that there was a reason that people outlawed skateboards? Was there an incident? Did skateboarders, perhaps not yourself, prove a nuisance to pedestrians and cars? I doubt your city council had NO reason under the sun to provide limits to them. And, although unfair to you if you weren't the offender, they are well within their rights to provide a safe, unimpeded way for the majority of its citizens. You see, that is what a democracy is about...the majority rules.

People have expressed sympathy for your plight, your mother's loss and suggested ways for you to tone done your attitude and reapproach your city. However, you've insulted them and belittled them.

All I have to say is keep sucking your other thumb little boy. You obviously are too immature to understand how to live in the real world. No wonder your city council didn't listen to your whining. I couldn't care less whether your spoiled little feet ever get to legally ride a skateboard. You are not guaranteed a skateboard ride in this country. So get over it, get back to school and treat your mother properly.

Great, right when everything was settled, some middle aged message board addict comes in and gives his two cents.

LOL... How dare you Jim, you middle aged addict you.
I was kind of sympathetic until i ran out of tissue. hey dude, skate all you want. this is something i follow. "dont do the crime if you cant do the time" im sure you can stretch that how you want.

Wow, Matt, you're dumb!

"Dude, why can't me and my other fourteen year old buddies do whatever we want? Screw those pigs, man, if Matt wants to skate, Matt's gonna skate! Damn the man!"

Of course, I gotta commend you on coming to the perfect place to talk skateboarding: a political message board! Or, have you just been going around posting this on every message board you can find? Cause that would be sad.

In all honesty, you'll probably find people more sympathetic to your plight at Bam Margera's website . There's a message board on there.

''All I have to say is keep sucking your other thumb little boy. You obviously are too immature to understand how to live in the real world.''

Sure. Thanks for the help. I'll never know how to live in the real
world. I'm just doomed, huh? I've been inside a cage my whole life. What will I ever do?? Dear old Mom never lets me go very far from home. Oh, look at the time...excuse me, I have to switch thumbs...

In the meantime, I hope everyone else who reads this thread has fun thinking of more ways to insult someone who isn't even half their age. Oh sure, even if you don't even know what the hell is being talked about, just come right in and shoot off your opinions on ME, not the topic that I started.

And by the way, to whoever asked me ''Why did I post this in a political chat?'' The political chat is a whole different forum. I don't guess it matters since they're on the same server. If that doesn't go over with you, let's just call this ''Skateboard Politics''.

Thanks, mom.

Look matt, I am not going to attack you personally, and as I have already stated, I think you guys should have a place of your own.

Matt, consider this though, the reason you got the responses you did was twofold, first comming here and venting anger will not generate the responses you desire. Take a look at the other threads you will see this repeated over and over, when people settle down and start to take resonable positions and try and see the problem from all angles, then they start to gain the respect of other members. Second, look from the perspective of most of the members, we have families, and have to get up everyday go to work, come home and be parents, keep things up around our house, and I tell you it does not leave much time for any enjoyment. Many people are having a hard time just making ends meet with the economy, we worry what this world is going to be like for our kids, we see our young men and women getting killed and hurt over in Iraq, we see our jobs being moved to India and overseas, we struggle to put our kids through school while illegals cross the boards and get grants. Come on matt, put yourself in this position for a minute, how much would you listen to your own argument, especially the way it was presented.

Matt you can call me what you want but I think I have showed you respect and even sympathized with your cause, but I try to be balanced in my views, and see all sides.

Matt,
If this is the worst thing your going to encounter in your life, them i envy you. Getting bsuted out for skating some place that posted is, for lack of a better term, kids stuff. It going to happen.
the way i see it is like this. if gay people can have place for htem to do what ever it is they do, so should everyone else. now im not trying to equivicate the two, just an example.
around my area there are a couple of skate parks. both require about 45 minutes of driving to get too.

Sure. Just because my problems aren't as important or serious in your minds as they are to me, that gives me less right to speak out on them. Of course it does!

I love how people keep saying ''is this the worst thing that's going to happen to you'' or, even better, I'll never know how to live in the real world. With the exception of one or two of you who can actually show respect without stooping to the level of insulting a 17 year old kid to make you feel better about yourself, most of you are exactly the same.

But I don't suppose that matters, since the rest of you all are already so planted in your ideals that you could never imagine being wrong, and will continue, with each posting, to spout off the same ''You're just a stupid kid'' line.

But hey, you same guys can have fun in your cyber-sex message boards and perv chat rooms, and in occurances like this one, come in and try to pose as intelligent adults. Goodbye.

im not quite sure how you got all that out of what i posted.
all i was trying to say was jstu beause you cant skate some place is not the end of the world. but i guess it is. that attitude your trying to throw out there is that your going to do it no matter what. but i guess the rest of us arent in touch with the real world or something.
bottom line is, if its that importnat to you, then maybe you shuold try harder to obtain a place for you and other like minded people to skate, not sit back and damn this and damn that.

Forum List

Back