Good Bank! Fed Pressuring It To Make Risky Loans Now!

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Yes, for those who said the government didn't 'pressure' banks into making the risky loans, they are still doing it:

Yes, the Community Reinvestment Act Really Did Help Cause the Housing Crisis - Capital Commerce (usnews.com)

« Barack Obama's Irrational Exuberance
The Phony AIG Bonus Scandal Outrage »

Yes, the Community Reinvestment Act Really Did Help Cause the Housing Crisis
March 17, 2009 09:42 AM ET | James Pethokoukis

There has been a lot of push back against the idea that the Community Reinvestment Act nudged banks to give mortgages to people who should have not gotten them. But then here comes this fantastic story, courtesy of the Boston Business Journal, about East Bridgewater Savings in Boston:

Bad or delinquent loans? Zero. Foreclosures? None. Money set aside in 2008 for anticipated loan losses? Nothing. ... The bank even squeaked out a profit of $87,000. And its Tier 1 risk-based capital ratio was 31.6 percent, or more than three times higher than many community banks in Massachusetts. “We’re paranoid about credit quality,” Petrucelli said. The 62-year-old chief executive has run the bank since 1992.​

Yet the FDIC has turned up the heat on Petrucelli's bank, giving it an apparently rare "needs to improve rating," for not making more risky loans under the Community Reinvestment Act. Here is how the FDIC puts it: “There are no apparent financial or legal impediments that would limit the bank’s ability to help meet the credit needs of its assessment area. The FDIC examiners also faulted East Bridgewater "for not advertising and marketing its loan products enough. The bank, which does not have a Web site, offers fixed-rate mortgages."

Me: How many East Bridgewaters are out there that knuckled under to the pressure and started handing out mortgages to whomever? I am not saying that CRA is the only factor here. There is plenty of blame to go around, regulators, Alan Greenspan, derivatives desks on Wall Street. But to let CRA and its enablers off the hook is ridiculous.

I saw this. They've been doing this for decades. The government bullies banks to give bad loans. So who's really to blame for this economic mess?

I saw this. They've been doing this for decades. The government bullies banks to give bad loans. So who's really to blame for this economic mess?

Again I say ... did the government also put guns to the heads of the citizens and force them to take the loans?

Really, who is to blame ...

Again I say ... did the government also put guns to the heads of the citizens and force them to take the loans?

We're talking about bad loans here. The people who get them only care about living in a nice big house. Paying off the loan is the farthest thing from their mind. The market has a built-in fail-safe to handle this: companies that give out bad loans go out of business. Unfortunately, the government has short-circuited the fail-safe. Therefore, the government is to blame.

We're talking about bad loans here. The people who get them only care about living in a nice big house. Paying off the loan is the farthest thing from their mind. The market has a built-in fail-safe to handle this: companies that give out bad loans go out of business. Unfortunately, the government has short-circuited the fail-safe. Therefore, the government is to blame.

Oh ... so Americans are stupid and short sighted now ... I get it.

I thought it was more like brokers, borrowing from banks and giving bad subprime loans, then selling them packaged into MBS? It's all so confusing, I can't find the ball anywhere.

I thought it was more like brokers, borrowing from banks and giving bad loans and selling MBS? It's all so confusing, I can't find the ball anywhere.

Aaah ... the nail on the head. There is no ball. This is the whole problem, everyone just keeps looking for people to blame when everyone is to blame.

Not all, as has been said over and over again, significantly more than 90% pay on time, everytime.

I thought it was more like brokers, borrowing from banks and giving bad loans and selling MBS? It's all so confusing, I can't find the ball anywhere.

Aaah ... the nail on the head. There is no ball. This is the whole problem, everyone just keeps looking for people to blame when everyone is to blame.

Exactly. Over inflated markets had normally prime borrowers going to secondary, subprime lenders. In light of CDS sales, you gotta wonder. Or at least I do.

Boundless hope and Joy Willow, boundless hope and Joy. By the way I will settle for those who aren't braindead leftists to finally figure out that the culprit in this is the government as it almost always is.

Someone has to start remembering that the third of three great lies is:

I'm from the government and I'm here to help you.

Not all, as has been said over and over again, significantly more than 90% pay on time, everytime.

Paying interest only doesn't help, even though it still counts as "on time." However it doesn't give the lender any profit to work with, ultimately driving the out of business.

However that wasn't even the point I was making so I digress ... the point was ... EVERYONE is to blame because either we made bad choices and took advantage of a flaw in the system (those who lived beyond their means) or we let it happen without protesting until it was too late.

Paying interest only doesn't help, even though it still counts as "on time." However it doesn't give the lender any profit to work with, ultimately driving the out of business.

However that wasn't even the point I was making so I digress ... the point was ... EVERYONE is to blame because either we made bad choices and took advantage of a flaw in the system (those who lived beyond their means) or we let it happen without protesting until it was too late.

The only ones guilty are the ones that did so and the ones that lent them the money to do so-often pressured by the Fed to do so....

Kit it's damn hard to grouse abput something you aren't really aware of as a problem until well after it it's too damn let to do anything about it. .

Kit it's damn hard to grouse abput something you aren't really aware of as a problem until well after it it's too damn let to do anything about it. .

What about the people getting loans on their homes or to buy their homes knowing that they will likely be unable to ever pay it off? You forget this is more than just a few bad choices by a few people. Taking the blame away from these people is like saying it's your fault your are sick and not the flu virus.

What about the people getting loans on their homes or to buy their homes knowing that they will likely be unable to ever pay it off? You forget this is more than just a few bad choices by a few people. Taking the blame away from these people is like saying it's your fault your are sick and not the flu virus.

But you said,
... EVERYONE is to blame because either we made bad choices and took advantage of a flaw in the system (those who lived beyond their means) or we let it happen without protesting until it was too late.
So now you're saying it's the people who took the loan's fault? Agreed. However, if the banks were practicing what had been the traditional methods of approval, those people would have been turned down. The banks would not have changed their methods, the risks were too great, if not pressured by the Fed to do so. As the OP said, it's still going on with 'well run banks'....

But you said,
... EVERYONE is to blame because either we made bad choices and took advantage of a flaw in the system (those who lived beyond their means) or we let it happen without protesting until it was too late.
So now you're saying it's the people who took the loan's fault? Agreed. However, if the banks were practicing what had been the traditional methods of approval, those people would have been turned down. The banks would not have changed their methods, the risks were too great, if not pressured by the Fed to do so. As the OP said, it's still going on with 'well run banks'....

What is different between my two posts? I never said only they are to blame, just that you can't ignore their impact. As well as the impact we all had by not stopping it or at least finding a way to slow it sooner.

Forum List

Back