Gonzogate...Oh what tangled webs he weaves...

In testimony provided by James Comey, former #2 at the DoJ under John Ashcroft, it would appear that pobrecito Alberto's testimony before Congress about the illegal wiretapping authorized By Chimpy McPresident was misleading, if not outright perjury.

In his testimony on the matter, Gonzalez claimed that he knew of no concerns in the upper levels of the DoJ about the legality of this domestic spying program. Comey's testimony directly contradicts that assessment, in fact going so far as to testify that he, Ashcroft and and FBI Director Mueller threatened to resign if the White House failed to take steps to bring the program in line with federal law. Which it has since done, putting the program under control of the FISA court.

We have three fundamental facts here. First, the DoJ's Office of Legal Counsel concluded that the program was illegal. Second, despite this illegality Bush, Cheney, <i>et al</i> at the White House decided they were above the law and continued to authorize the program...They broke the law folks...Federal law. Can you say "high crimes and misdemeanors"? I knew you could. Third In his testimony before Congress on the matter Gonzalez claimed to have "no memory of" any high level disagreements at DoJ on the matter. Now either Alberto is in the throes of early onset Alzheimer's, or he lied. My own assessment, from years of experience in dealing with Alzheimer's patients, leads me to believe that he is not suffering from Alzheimer's. Not then... not now. You can draw your own inferences from that.

I agree with you... sounds like he lied to congress...

I often wonder these days why the republicans continue to support this administration... do they like being lied to? Are they insane?

Bully,

I watched the gvt hearing on this on c-span...it is archived and any of you interested in knowing what went on in this hearing can watch it. I would suggest doing such so you don't just get quibbles of information out of context that the "media" wants to focus on!

It was riveting testimony....I found myself sitting on the edge of my chair to hear what Mr. Comey was going to say next.....I thought I was watching the Sopranos! :D

This is serous business. If Gonzales does not resign, then he could be impeached also.

The President and vice President are holding on to Gonzalez for dear life....who knows what else is under the rug?

Gonzo knows... that's why they want him close by.

The normal rule in the ruthless world of politics at this level is to cut loose immediately your liabilities when they crop up. That the Bush Administration has hung onto Gonzales may be an example of Bush's reportedly stubborn loyalty to his people, but it could also be that Gonzales has really got the wood on Bush and Cheney and they're keeping him close lest he talks. It'll be interesting to see how the Congress views this.

why do republicans like being lied to?

Protecting the RIGHTS of Americans is WHAT we are FIGHTING FOR....

If we dishonor and break our own Constitution, then we have let the terrorists win.....they would be the ones "changing us" instead of us, changing them....

I will NEVER stoop that LOW, and you shouldn't either!

Care

when rsr says that gonzo et al can do whatever they want to the constitution, he is supporting what the terrorists want, C4A.

As said in the republican debate, when it comes to preventing terrorist attacks, I want a Jack Bauer doing the questioning

You would prefer a pany wearing liberal from the ACLU doing the questioning

I guess you missed the part where Jack himself went to West Point to tell the Cadets about to graduate that torture doesn't work in REAL LIFE...

Was there some part of the Geneva Conventions you didn't like? I know... the part where it is forbidden to torture captured prisoners. Are you in favor of the tables being turned on us? Or doesn't that matter to you since you won't be the one being tortured?

You realize that '24' is a fictional television show, right?

What Jack does on '24' has really no basis in fact, though it is a great TV show.

If torture worked, I'd be all for it. However, the more and more we see, the more we understand that torture honestly doesn't work toward your goal.

psssssssst, jeff? rsr thinks it's real... yeah I know... he's delusional...

Red state is a perfect example of someone who cares nothihng for the system our founders set up.

He/she would give away the entire constitution for the love of GWB.

Giving up up what He/She just sugested makes He/she as unAmerican as one could get.

Just unbelievable

that's rsr... a lover of all things terrorist.

Once again Red States demonstrates his total disregard for democracy, freedom, liberty, equality, and all the values our Republic is based upon.

dang... two posters in a row that I can't give reppage to...

what is it with this you have given too much rep points today stuff? Does the administration really want to limit our posting? That doesn't make sense...

Forum List

Back