Gonzales Confirmed and Sworn In

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
I didn't think this was going to happen this quickly.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=514&u=/ap/20050204/ap_on_go_co/senate_gonzales&printer=1

Senate OKs Gonzales As Attorney General

1 hour, 5 minutes ago

By JESSE J. HOLLAND, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON - Alberto Gonzales won Senate confirmation Thursday as attorney general despite Democratic accusations that he helped formulate White House policies that led to overseas prisoner abuse and was too beholden to President Bush (news - web sites) to be the nation's top law enforcement official.

The Senate voted 60-36 to put the first Hispanic ever into the job, with all of the "no" votes coming from Democrats and Democratic-leaning Independent Jim Jeffords of Vermont. Last week, 12 Democrats and Jeffords voted against Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice (news - web sites)'s confirmation.

Kathianne said:
I didn't think this was going to happen this quickly.

Considering the lack of opposition in the congress, I think we can expect things to happen very quickly. And that's not necessarily a good thing.

I'm pretty concerned about this guy. He could be worst that Ashcroft.

A

CivilLiberty said:
Considering the lack of opposition in the congress, I think we can expect things to happen very quickly. And that's not necessarily a good thing.

A

To tell the truth, Ashcroft wasn't that bad, outside of the statues thing. :rolleyes: He did have a way of getting people mad though.

Personally, I think Gonzales is going to be more than fine.

CivilLiberty said:

A

I sure hope the Terrorists and other people who committ crimes sure think that.

i think the reason for the quickness is because the dems want to save their filibusters for other judges such as for the SCOTUS. I dont think they want to waste to much time on the small fish.

insein said:
i think the reason for the quickness is because the dems want to save their filibusters for other judges such as for the SCOTUS. I dont think they want to waste to much time on the small fish.

Perhaps. The SCOTUS issue is the one thing I find the greatest concern over.

A

CivilLiberty said:
Perhaps. The SCOTUS issue is the one thing I find the greatest concern over.

It concerns all of us. Because we are tired of having the SCOTUS overstep its bounds. we are tired of judges not reading what the law rather says but rather spinning it to mean whatever they want.

CivilLiberty said:

A

Explain your unfounded concerns.

Forum List

Back