Gonna go see Prometheous in 3D today

Sad to hear so many Debbie Downers. The story was slow but in all honesty the first one was even slower. I think too many people went in with preconceived ideas of what they were about to see.

As to the religious crap. I'm not a believer and simply don't care. You all act as if Hollywood shoves religion like they do the gay agenda. Get over it.....or yourselves.

What story?

Seriously lets talk...

BIG SPOILERS ALERT !!!! SKIP THIS POST IF YOU HAVENT SEEN THE MOVIE AND STILL WANT TO. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!

Ok now that THATS out of the way.

I could care less about the religious aspects of the movie. Those themes were such a punch to the face they were only insulting in that Ridley felt he needed to blugeon us with such things to get a half hearted point across.

Its the story itself thats BAD. Wheres the character development? Where the story arc? There isnt one. The characetrs behaved in ways that they shouldnt have.

Lets go to the "surgery scene" Liz has just been informed by David that shes pregnant with a very "special" child. She wants it out. He refuses and even drugs her to get her into stasis to take back to Earth.

She escapes and goes to the surgery pod. Gets the damed thing out of her and the NEXT THING that happens is she finds Weyland along with David ( and others ) Now does she freak out on David? Nope. She looks at Weyland and says," Youve been here the whole time? "

No, Hey fuck you David for leaving that monster inside me. Not even so much as a tongue sticking out in his general direction. She IGNORES him and focuses on the old guy.

Shes just watched the man she loves be burned alive, and pulled an alien creature out of herself that he apparently impregnated her with and she sits there calmly and says," Oh youve been here the whole time" Cmon!

Or how about the death of Vickers? This is a bitch who thinks shes smart enough to run Weyland after dear old dad kicks the bucket BUT isnt smart enough to run SIDEWAYS????
Seriously, set aside all the Alien movies and look at this movie as a stand alone...and its utter crap. It REQUIRES that you have knowledge of the other movies, it blungeons us with half explained religious themes but NEVER actually gets to the point.

Big thumbs down for a crappy movie.

And now Im really apprehensive about the Blade Runner sequel he wants to do next.

ETA: Oh and the planet Prometheus takes place on is NOT the planet the Nostromo landed on. So we still dont know the story of that particular "Space Jockey"

Not only that but:

1) Why didn't Scott let the alien explain what they were doing (when David asked him)? Because I don't think the director or script writer thought that far ahead.
2) What was the point of the exploding alien head? It added nothing to the story.
3) Why would the aliens 'start' Earth, then 'reawaken' themsleves to go and destory it (I have my own theory, but none was put forward in the story)
4) It is inferred that the aliens left signs with ancient civilisations to show us' the way'...how did they do this? Were aliens living amongst us, or was it preprogrammed into the DNA of the dude who started it all by the waterfall?
5) If the moon by the plaent was indeed a military base with bio weapons as suggested by Prometheous's captain, why would they direct mere earthlings to find it? No logic. Direct them to a civilisation of the ages, I get that, but a military base in the middle of nowhere? ppfffttt
6) What was the point of David killing Shaw's lover by putting an alien doofer in his martini?

Plenty of other holes/unanswered questions that left a big "WFT?" as I walked out the cinema...

All excellent points on the plethora of giant plot holes.

I think you guys should start making movies. :)

You seem to have it all down pat. Have fun with your new line of work.

My Matrix 3 would have been ten times better LOL

But seriously, Im not looking at Prometheus as the stuff in Alien explains it ( because it TOTALLY doesnt ) Im looking at it as a stand alone movie. Theres no explainationf or ANYTHING most importantly WHY the characters choose their actions. The most developed character was Vickers and she was two dimensional at best showing so little emotions that the audience was wondering is she was a robot even before the Captain asked her if she was.

But seriously, Im not looking at Prometheus as the stuff in Alien explains it ( because it TOTALLY doesnt ) Im looking at it as a stand alone movie. Theres no explanation or ANYTHING most importantly WHY the characters choose their actions. The most developed character was Vickers and she was two dimensional at best showing so little emotions that the audience was wondering is she was a robot even before the Captain asked her if she was.

thinking about the scenes etc. and how the dialogue went down I think they started out with a 3 hour movie, alot of it makes no sense, example, vickers walks in and th capt asks her of sh wants to get laid, well where the heck id that come from? and she says yes based on some stupid remark about being an android? please...

....time will tell, they will I am sure try and cash in at the dvd trough, I'd like to see the 'deleted scenes'....ridley scott is a lot better than this or has been.

But seriously, Im not looking at Prometheus as the stuff in Alien explains it ( because it TOTALLY doesnt ) Im looking at it as a stand alone movie. Theres no explanation or ANYTHING most importantly WHY the characters choose their actions. The most developed character was Vickers and she was two dimensional at best showing so little emotions that the audience was wondering is she was a robot even before the Captain asked her if she was.

thinking about the scenes etc. and how the dialogue went down I think they started out with a 3 hour movie, alot of it makes no sense, example, vickers walks in and th capt asks her of sh wants to get laid, well where the heck id that come from? and she says yes based on some stupid remark about being an android? please...

....time will tell, they will I am sure try and cash in at the dvd trough, I'd like to see the 'deleted scenes'....ridley scott is a lot better than this or has been.

I read on fandango that there was about 30 minutes cut out. I'll buy either way since I have all the others.

I read on fandango that there was about 30 minutes cut out. I'll buy either way since I have all the others.

wow, thx. I thought so.

thats a lot of footage and scenes even if half of it is action crap...even 15 minutes of screen-time, for a story/screenplay is an eternity....3-4 scenes of 2 minutes ( time it sometime) of creative well thought dialogue could have made a worlds of difference.

You've never accused a woman of being a robot, then asked her to prove she's not with sex?

:eusa_hand:

You're KIDDING!???:eek:

The scene did not make the cutting room floor because it demonstrates that casual inter-racial sex is acceptable in 2092, and that if you're a 2012 progressive, then it should be acceptable to you too.

Especially true since casual inter-racial sex produced Barak Obama, the Greatest President Hollywood Ever Invented.

...even 15 minutes of screen-time, for a story/screenplay is an eternity....3-4 scenes of 2 minutes ( time it sometime) of creative well thought dialogue could have made a worlds of difference.

Then they would have changed the title to AVATAR II.

The only reference to god or religion that I noticed was the doctors necklace. And its role was only a couple minutes long. I think someone had something on their brain before they saw the movie.

Did you go to the bathroom during every conversation with the doctor and the one wearing the cross? The whole purpose of them going there was to find their creator despite the fact the main characters all wanted to believe in god except the blonde captain. I knew there was trouble when the female scientist was in cryosleep talking to her father about death and all the religious nature of that pointless scene. Did you miss the 7 or 8 references to christ in that whole scene, or were you in the bathroom again? Then the female doctor always wanting to believe in jesus no matter how much they were showing jesus had no presence on earth. There was the whole basis of intelligent design which was the whole purpose of the opening scene and the idea that these being supposedly put the human race where they were. Oh, and then there is the best suck you out of the movie and into pointless life drama when her boyfriend makes the crack about only needing a couple of brain cells to make life, and then she goes into her pointless crying jag implying she was barren which did not add anything at all to the movie and was the first time reproduction was even mentioned. In all honesty considering what happened that scene might have actually been valuable towards enhancing her character had they actually done something more on development of that aspect of her character.

There is a lot of religious bullshit in this movie, and Alien is not religious. If they wanted to do some sort of Contact type of philisophical commentary on god and science it was not the right movie. That might have been a good movie on it's own, but it is not alien, and I am quite sure the company does not give a fuck about God or even the alien races that supposedly spawned humans. They wanted a weapon from an advanced civilization. They actually may have tried to make a statement about the lust for power that keeps the human race down, but they kept on dropping it to go back to blind faith.

Wow someone has a bad case of liberal derrangement syndrome....

How can you expect any movie that goes after the question of the creation of life to completely ignore religion.

And by the way other Alien movies have touched on the topic of religion....although I dispised the stories of Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection they did have religion in them.

He likely is still in the seat and was already infected.

but that planet they landed on where the story took place was not LV-426 it was if memory serves LV 323 or 326, or something close...

Ahh, I didn't catch that. There were other ships though so maybe other creator's?

It's on movies2k.com now so I may watch it again to fill in the blanks.

MORE SPOILERS

Yes this movie was all on LV-223 I think.

They talked about how the Engineers were using that planet as a staging ground for attacks, but the "weapons" turned on them. I think its safe to assume one ship did escape but shortly after he had a chestburster pop out and the ship crashed on LV-426. If you watch Alien they say the Space Jockey was fossilized, much like the ones found on LV-223 in this movie, so it happened at the same time.

The carbon testing on the Engineers that were dead went back 2000 years. So back then they decided it was time to destroy life on Earth. Don't know if that timing intentionally coincides with Jesus or what. We simply don't know why though at this point.

Last edited:
saw Prometheus last weekend...

overall, it was a forgettable disappointment... lots of initially interesting characters and lead-ups... that added up to absolutely nothing that made any kind of sense...

I knew the movie was in trouble about midway through when I realized I stopped caring about what might happen to the main characters...

your time and money would be better spent watching/rewatching either one or both of the first two Alien movies...

Last edited:
SPOILERS -

I liked it.

Didn't buy the space jesus stuff also didn't think that the Doc who removed the ailien from herself was christian? her BF/Hubby said "still wearing your father's cross?" To me meaning her mortal human dad from earlier in the flick.

Could be they wanted to kill us because of the Predator worship on earth. Two big bad space aliens both trying to steer mankind?

If the Engineers wanted us dead, why didn;t the rest of the race kill us? Was the Group on LV223 a fringe group of Psychos?

What did David Really say to the Engineer? The did not translate it. Could have said we're here to ass rape you for all we know.

Some say the religious bit was over the top . . .I say only if you are looking for it. Said as one who is pretty anti religion anyway. I think 2000 years could have just been a random pick. Or If Riddley scott picked it (Don;t know if he's religious) and your the screen writer who's ailiens prequel he is going to direct . . .you STFU if want to get paid.

Effect were good. The Crew were freaking morons.

All inall worth teh price of admission but left more questions than it answered.\\Oh and the goop seemed to disolvethe alien my guess was to create higher life forms but who the hell knows.

Forum List

Back