Goliath's name found in archaeological dig

Abbey Normal said:
J, I understand your feelings, but this thread started out as a post on a current discovery which could be historical backup for the Bible. I did not see anyone trying to convince others to convert to Christianity. It was because some felt compelled to use the information to try to debunk the Bible that the thread turned contentious.

Attacks on Christianity in America today may be making some Christians feel justifiably defensive. As for this board in particular, I do not go around telling non-Christians that they are idiots and morons for not believing in the Bible. I do not tell people they are going to Hell. So if a poster takes every opportunity to try to slap down my faith, to tell me I am an idiot for believing (and yes, some do that, repeatedly), I don't take that very well. And why should I?

Believe, don't believe, I don't care. But I will never understand nor condone such single-minded compulsion to turn people away from their religion.
I understand how the thread started, I was making a general
statement applying to any and all posts about religion. I also know who the
prime offender(s) is. I geuss I was trying to keep future conversations
logical, and not personal. That's the best way to talk about religion IMO.

JOKER96BRAVO said:
I understand how the thread started, I was making a general
statement applying to any and all posts about religion. I also know who the
prime offender(s) is. I geuss I was trying to keep future conversations
logical, and not personal. That's the best way to talk about religion IMO.

I agree completely. :)

JOKER96BRAVO said:
I've also been beaten to a pulp. I been shot at, and near death many times
over. Still don't think Christianity is the right way for ME. I don't mean
to come off as a pushy non-believer, in fact I try and keep my mouth shut.
It just burns me to see someone be so persistent (on both ends) to
influence others of their religious preference. I'm actually Native American
and study my peoples culture and religion. Spiritual just seems the way to go
for me, but you'll never see me pushing my views on anyone. I can understand
that most on here feel passionate about their religion or lack thereof. Still don’t
see it right for anyone (on both sides) to say theirs is right and any other is wrong.

Hmmm, Im not sure you understood what I meant. Beaten to a pulp was used as in "emotionally and spiritually". Have you ever considered suicide?

Now, if you care to, go back and read the first page of the thread over again. Someone posts a link to an article about a pottery find. No comment is made, just a link basically.

Then Haggy makes a "somewhat" negative comment about it, no big deal. Then of course Powerman has to jump in and proclaim "THIS PROVES NOTHING!",,,yet no one had claimed it did prove anything!, so someone makes a sarcastic remark, rightfully so, about powermans proclamation, and then you jump to the aid of powerman. So, now you wonder why some wind up defending their religion with you? You claim that Christians should let you practice your own spirituality without cramming Christianity down your throat, or claiming Christianity is the only way, well, sir, if thats how you want it, I suggest you dont go jumping on the bandwagon of someone whose sole goal is to unabashedly bash Christianity, and as in this case, TOTALLY UNWARRANTEDLY SO.

hahahh, and thats pretty funny, name on pottery could show ownership?? are you serious??

LuvRPgrl said:
hahahh, and thats pretty funny, name on pottery could show ownership?? are you serious??

Maybe it was made as a humorous "last place" trophy for a village wrestling contest.

MissileMan said:
Anubis was an Egyptian god with the body of a man and the head of a jackal.

I suppose it's possible, but it doesn't seem logical to me that someone would comemmorate a "loser", especially after a substantial amount of time had passed.

What about Davy Crockett, Daniel Boone, Stonewall Jackson, Robert E. Lee, etc. Goliath was implied to have been pretty famous and fearsome long before he got taken down by some kid with a slingshot. He was said to be the Philistines' greatest warrior, which doesn't just happen. As such, his death was probably mourned for a while, and then, he was put on commemorative plates, like Elvis.

LuvRPgrl said:
Hmmm, Im not sure you understood what I meant. Beaten to a pulp was used as in "emotionally and spiritually". Have you ever considered suicide?
Uhhhh no, but that confirms my suspicions about your mental health.

LuvRPgrl said:
Now, if you care to, go back and read the first page of the thread over again. Someone posts a link to an article about a pottery find. No comment is made, just a link basically.
Right, so a link means nothing then. The words behind it don't say anything.

LuvRPgrl said:
Then Haggy makes a "somewhat" negative comment about it, no big deal.
Then of course Powerman has to jump in and proclaim "THIS PROVES NOTHING!",,,yet no one had claimed it did prove anything!,
The story makes a pretty bold statement claiming truth in the Bible
according to this pottery.

LuvRPgrl said:
so someone makes a sarcastic remark, rightfully so,
Why rightfully so, he asked a geniune question.

LuvRPgrl said:
and then you jump to the aid of powerman. So, now you wonder why some wind up defending their religion with you?
Because I'm not impressed the one sided attitude that you ca out us down
and not expect anything back. He asked a question that deserved an answer,
instead he's answered with a smart ass comment.

You claim that Christians should let you practice your own spirituality without cramming Christianity down your throat, or claiming Christianity is the only way, well, sir, if thats how you want it, I suggest you dont go jumping on the bandwagon of someone whose sole goal is to unabashedly bash Christianity, and as in this case, TOTALLY UNWARRANTEDLY SO.
I don't support his goal. I just can't stand to see you be so one sided.

LuvRPgrl said:
Yes.

You seem to forget that your theories only hold water if the story is true.
Assuming it isn't, my theory makes sense.

Forum List

Back