Golf

Natural Citizen

American Made
Gold Supporting Member
Aug 8, 2016
Does anyone play golf? If there's one thing I thoroughly enjoy this time of year, it's getting out on the courses on a nice spring weekend. Since I set myself on fire last week, I'm not gonna be able to get out and realy play for a while, but that wont stop me from hitching a ride on a cart just to enjoy the atmosphere.

Today was a perfect day. The birds were out chirping. The trees are budding. The ponds are thawed. Everything is green.

One of my friends lives on a golf course, so I don't have to buy balls, he gives em to me out of his yard by the milk crate full. I have around 6 milk crates full of top notch balls at the moment. I prefer those Calloway balls, though, the blue Hex ones. They stick nice and good.

I'm really thinking about maybe tinkering with my wedges out in the yard in the next couple of weeks. Just little 20 and 30 ft pitching.

Last edited:
Some people will do anything just to get a few days off work.

If you can get off work around 3:30 or 4:00, even as late as 5:00, you can still get 18 in for the reduced evening rate, like $20.

Does anyone play golf? If there's one thing I thoroughly enjoy this time of year, it's getting out on the courses on a nice spring weekend. Since I set myself on fire last week, I'm not gonna be able to get out and realy play for a while, but that wont stop me from hitching a ride on a cart just to enjoy the atmosphere.

Today was a perfect day. The birds were out chirping. The trees are budding. The ponds are thawed. Everything is green.

One of my friends lives on a golf course, so I don't have to buy balls, he gives em to me out of his yard by the milk crate full. I have around 6 milk crates full of top notch balls at the moment. I prefer those Calloway balls, though, the blue Hex ones. They stick nice and good.

I'm really thinking about maybe tinkering with my wedges out in the yard in the next couple of weeks. Just little 20 and 30 ft pitching.

If you literally set yourself on fire, make sure your burns are well protected from the sun while you are out there.

As for golf, I used to play regularly. I will still chip around my field from time to time and then pray that the balls don't hit anything when I run over them with the mower. I had one shoot out, hit a tree, and then ricochet back and nail me in the head one time LOL. I think I hit 3 today mowing--at least 3 that I know of. I got down to a 7 handicap in hs/college and could sometimes make par on 9 though never on a full 18. I more or less stopped playing when I didn't have any buddies who played still around. Playing with strangers or people I only casually know just isn't nearly as enjoyable.

If you literally set yourself on fire, make sure your burns are well protected from the sun while you are out there.

As for golf, I used to play regularly. I will still chip around my field from time to time and then pray that the balls don't hit anything when I run over them with the mower. I had one shoot out, hit a tree, and then ricochet back and nail me in the head one time LOL. I think I hit 3 today mowing--at least 3 that I know of. I got down to a 7 handicap in hs/college and could sometimes make par on 9 though never on a full 18. I more or less stopped playing when I didn't have any buddies who played still around. Playing with strangers or people I only casually know just isn't nearly as enjoyable.

Gosh. Be careful. Sheesh. I changed my mind about chipping around so soon. I'll be lucky to be off the couch. lol. Looking outside on such a nice spring saturday reminded reminded me of what I'd probably be doing otherwise. That's why I asked, I knew I couldn't be the only one.

I've never made par on either. Agreed about not being as enjoyable with strangers as with the regular guys. I ran into the same thing a few years back. Eventually I found it more leisurley playing alone.

Gosh. Be careful. Sheesh. I changed my mind about chipping around so soon. I'll be lucky to be off the couch. lol. Looking outside on such a nice spring saturday reminded reminded me of what I'd probably be doing otherwise. That's why I asked, I knew I couldn't be the only one.

I've never made par on either. Agreed about not being as enjoyable with strangers as with the regular guys. I ran into the same thing a few years back. Eventually I found it more leisurley playing alone.

If it weren't for the trees, I could literally tee off in the front corner of my yard and land in the dog leg of a par 4 I live that close to a course. I really have no excuse not to play anymore at least some. I just have no desire to. Chipping around the field is fine for me. Chipping and short irons were always my strongest game. I am one of those idiots who can do better out of a trap than I can 3 feet from the pin.

I took up golf at 50, thinking that with my extraordinary athletic abilities I would "master" the game in short order.

What a joke.

I am now thoroughly addicted and play whenever possible (twice a week, on average, weather permitting), although I am also cheap and generally limit myself to cheap courses ("tracks").

I have often pondered what makes the game "addictive," and my conclusion is based on B.F. Skinner's concept of intermittent reinforcement. Briefly, the enjoyment that comes when you make the occasional great shot (and for me it is really only occasional), is so satisfying that it makes you forget all the lousy shots that came before and after the great one. And from the morning after that round, you can't wait to get back and do it again, hoping for another great shot or two next time around.

Obviously, most people who give golf a try decide that it's not worth the time, money, and effort, but for those who give it some time it can be very satisfying. In fact, unless I'm forced to, I don't even bother to keep score. Keeping score forces you to focus on the bad holes and what's the point of that?

Bottom line, I am a "bogey golfer," normally shooting around 90. I break out the party hats when I break 85 and stop counting when I surpass 92 or so.

Can't wait for summer.

Best thing about being retired.

I took up golf at 50, thinking that with my extraordinary athletic abilities I would "master" the game in short order.

What a joke.

I am now thoroughly addicted and play whenever possible (twice a week, on average, weather permitting), although I am also cheap and generally limit myself to cheap courses ("tracks").

I have often pondered what makes the game "addictive," and my conclusion is based on B.F. Skinner's concept of intermittent reinforcement. Briefly, the enjoyment that comes when you make the occasional great shot (and for me it is really only occasional), is so satisfying that it makes you forget all the lousy shots that came before and after the great one. And from the morning after that round, you can't wait to get back and do it again, hoping for another great shot or two next time around.

Obviously, most people who give golf a try decide that it's not worth the time, money, and effort, but for those who give it some time it can be very satisfying. In fact, unless I'm forced to, I don't even bother to keep score. Keeping score forces you to focus on the bad holes and what's the point of that?

Bottom line, I am a "bogey golfer," normally shooting around 90. I break out the party hats when I break 85 and stop counting when I surpass 92 or so.

Can't wait for summer.

Best thing about being retired.

Agree fully, very satisfying. Especially when you just ut the scorecard away and don't even bother with it.

I was playing some side-hill cheap but tough MTN course in Milpitas CA regularly during layoffs in Bush-Obama years. 139 slope? Even from white tees in hundreds of rounds, i could seldom break 90. 17 handicap. Almost unplayable on some holes as the ball woul never stop on a putt in hot dry weather. We picked up at 7, if things went sour.

Moved out, working now. Have not played since March 2018. I am lousy. But it was so challenging for me, i loved it.

Played $1 skins with some regular buddies. Big rush to make a 5 skin putt. Birdie paid 2X. Yes, i usually lost small amounts. Everybody was a hero at some point.

highres_361143602.jpeg

Forum List

Back