Goldman Sachs to pay back Tarp money quickly

Chris

Gold Member
May 30, 2008
NEW YORK (Reuters) - News that Goldman Sachs Group Inc (GS.N) might quickly pay back taxpayer money could pressure able rivals to do the same.

The Treasury Department's $700 billion Troubled Asset Relief Program was intended to provide lenders with more capital to spur lending and improve the economy.

Hundreds of companies have taken TARP money, ranging from $45 billion accepted by both Citigroup Inc (C.N) and Bank of America Corp (BAC.N) to $541,000 by The Victory Bank of Limerick, Pennsylvania.

But with TARP now seen more as an albatross, expectations are growing that more banks will repay their money as soon as they can. That would also free banks from dividend payouts, typically 5 percent a year. as well as Congress' demonstrated willingness to change the rules of engagement.

Goldman Sachs' speed to repay TARP may spur others | Special Coverage | Reuters

Um hum, one of the companies AIG washed money to. Nothing new here genius.

that begs the queston, did they ever really NEED this money in the first place.
i mean, we were told these comapnies would go bankrupt without it and that it would devistate our economy

me thinks it was all just another big LIE from Washington

that begs the queston, did they ever really NEED this money in the first place.
i mean, we were told these companies would go bankrupt without it and that it would devistate our economy

me thinks it was all just another big LIE from Washington

Yeah... Of course, the same people told us that Candidate Hussein was born in the US... and then had his Birth Certification Locked down by the Governor of Hawaii... They told us that he's NOT a Marxist and that he's a Christian... .

Huh... So now that it's confirmed that he's a Marxist, I wonder what ELSE could be out there waiting to SHOCK-US-ALL! ?

They saw free money. So of course they jumped at it.

Then once they saw the details, and even worse, how easily it is the change the agreement - not to mention the whole taxing the bonus thing - they said forget it.

• Thanks
Reactions: del

Then once they saw the details, and even worse, how easily it is the change the agreement - not to mention the whole taxing the bonus thing - they said forget it.

If a bonus is paid entirely in Cowbells, will it be taxed?

i guess if the dems in congress hear about it, they will try to

i guess if the dems in congress hear about it, they will try to

Damn straight skippy. Forget this 35% or 70% or 90%....they are going for the whole thing baby.

100% tax on cowbells.

images

They are giving back the money because they are afraid Congress will take away their bonuses.

Riddle me this batman.

Where are they getting all this money to pay it back?

I thought they were insolvent because their assets were toxic.

Now they have trillions to pay it all back?

And they what??

Made all that money in the last 90 days, or something?

Now. who do we taxpayers owe all this money to that we're borrowing to give to the banks (who presumably don't need it) so we can assume their toxic debts?

We owe all that money to the bankers.

My, isn't this a circular ride we're on?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back