Golden Globes are Sunday, any predictions?

Jon

The CPA
Mar 20, 2008
Fayetteville, AR
Here are the categories and nominees:

http://i.imdb.com/images/a/IMDb_RTG2009ballot.pdf

I'll make a few predictions that I see as guarantees.

1. Heath Ledger wins Best Supporting Actor
The other nominees almost seem like jokes. Tom Cruise in Tropic Thunder? Philip Seymour Hoffman is the only contender, and he's already said he wants Ledger to win it.

2. Danny Boyle wins Best Director
Easy pick. He's been sweeping the awards circuit.

3. WALL-E wins Best Animated Film
Let's get real. The Academy is trying to decide if WALL-E deserves a Best Picture nomination instead of a guaranteed Best Animated Oscar. This movie has a lot of clout.

4. John Adams will win Best Mini-Series
This seems like last year's nominees, but I guess I'm thinking of another awards show. John Adams is the only series contender here.

5. Sean Penn will win Best Actor in a Drama
Brad Pitt is getting a huge snub, and Benjamin Button is getting mixed reviews. Milk is the hit film right now.

6. Slumdog Millionaire will win Best Motion Picture
It's already won it 11 times over the same nominees, why wouldn't it win again?

Things I would like to see:

Anne Hathaway win Best Actress in a Drama, Brendan Gleeson win Best Actor in a Comedy (long shot, I think Hoffman will win), and Eric Roth NOT win Best Screenplay for Benjamin Button. I don't even care who wins it, as long as he does not. He deserved it for Forrest Gump, but not for rewriting the Forrest Gump formula and sticking it into another movie 15 years later thinking no one would notice.

Wow, I was 5/6. I can't believe Rourke beat out Sean Penn, really.

Also, Colin Farrell beats Brendan Gleeson, what the fuck? Brendan was clearly the better actor in that movie!

And, finally, Kate Winslet winning two awards for two different movies? Fuck that.

Woohoo for Slumdog Millionaire! How many awards did Benjamin Gump win? Zilch. How many did Slumdog win? Four. Epic fail on Eric Roth's part.

:gives::gives::gives::gives::gives::gives::gives::gives::gives::gives::gives:

Just one more self congratulatory ego boost for actors.

For Christs sake man how many award shows do these people need.

Golden Globes, peoples' Choice, Critics Choice, Screen Actors guild, Oscars.

Are these people so fucking pathetic that they can't go more than a couple months without the public telling them how fucking wonderful they are?

:gives::gives::gives::gives::gives::gives::gives::gives::gives::gives::gives:

Just one more self congratulatory ego boost for actors.

For Christs sake man how many award shows do these people need.

Golden Globes, peoples' Choice, Critics Choice, Screen Actors guild, Oscars.

Are these people so fucking pathetic that they can't go more than a couple months without the public telling them how fucking wonderful they are?

I hear anger management works wonders...

seriously. It's just a bit of fun for people who love film and it honors people who did good work. Something like that could only possibly offend someone really ticked off at the world.

Personally, I enjoyed it (til I fell asleep!) and let my son stay up til they gave out the award for Best Animated Film. Interestingly, at 11 years old, he noted that he didn't think it was necessarily the best of the films, but he thought it got the award because of it's "message".

I thought that was pretty savvy. ;)

And Heath Ledger winning was a given. Although I think he'd have deserved it anyway.

I hear anger management works wonders...

seriously. It's just a bit of fun for people who love film and it honors people who did good work. Something like that could only possibly offend someone really ticked off at the world.

Are you serious?

There are so many awards now that they are utterly meaningless.

The entertainment industry simply exists to have award shows so that we all think they're somehow important people.

Personally, I want the fucking actors who produce a product to be held to the same standard as other people who produce a product.

If I shell out 10 bucks to see a movie and it fucking sucks as so many do these days, I want to be able to get my money back.

If I buy a DVD and the movie blows, I want a full refund.

These people play make believe for a living for Christs sake what the fuck is so special about that?

Forum List

Back