Golden Gate turns 75!

clevergirl

Gold Member
Oct 22, 2009
In memory of her 75th birthday "Lights"

images

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iP8_Dbvpi-A]Journey - Lights (HQ with lyrics) - YouTube[/ame]

My dad installed the first telephone lines on the bridge... Driving across the bridge, to the city on the Bay, is something that takes me back to some of my earliest childhood memories...

a snippet from history:

Construction

Construction began on January 5, 1933 The project cost more than $35 million. The Golden Gate Bridge construction project was carried out by the McClintic-Marshall Construction Co., a subsidiary of Bethlehem Steel Corporation, founded by Howard H. McClintic and Charles D. Marshall, both of Lehigh University.

Strauss remained head of the project, overseeing day-to-day construction and making some groundbreaking contributions. A graduate of the University of Cincinnati, he placed a brick from his alma mater's demolished McMicken Hall in the south anchorage before the concrete was poured. He innovated the use of movable safety netting beneath the construction site, which saved the lives of many otherwise-unprotected steelworkers. Of eleven men killed from falls during construction, ten were killed (when the bridge was near completion) when the net failed under the stress of a scaffold that had fallen. Nineteen others who were saved by the net over the course of construction became proud members of the (informal) Half Way to Hell Club.

The project was finished by April 1937, $1.3 million under budget.

With the death of Jack Balestreri in April, 2012, all workers involved in the original construction are now deceased.

Forum List

Back