golden age of computers is over

The people who invented computers had a libertarian mind set.
Everything the computer could do was intended to be free.
Bill Gates literally walked into becoming the richest man in the world because other people wouldn't take IBMs money to monopolize

I canceled my internet because they demanded 60 bucks per month and have an attitude like they don't give a fk
The truth was I planned for it to be temporary, but I haven't missed it at all.(I just have phone internet)
It's in believable, they don't give a crap about user accessibility, or fixing errors that arise.
No access to files on your own phone, no way to delete apps.
No restore discs for computers...
No clear descriptions of products...
Incompetent tech support.
Companies hiding their phone numbers..
Now, everyone has their dishwasher hooked up to the internet, they don't give a crap about anything other than collecting money
Linus? Linus Torvalds? Is that you?

Sorry guy, but your head is buried in the sand if you think people were writing code/building boxes without regard to profits.
In the "good ol' days of computing", whenever that was...I am going to guess you are referring to the 80's... it was all out war. A blood bath. Companies were ripping each other off as a matter of policy. And Bill Gates didn't become a billionaire because he was the only one who wanted to make any money - he was decades ahead of his time in realizing that there is more money in software than hardware.

Bill Gates literally walked into becoming the richest man in the world because other people wouldn't take IBMs money to monopolize

I canceled my internet because they demanded 60 bucks per month and have an attitude like they don't give a fk
The truth was I planned for it to be temporary, but I haven't missed it at all.(I just have phone internet)
It's in believable, they don't give a crap about user accessibility, or fixing errors that arise.
Now, everyone has their dishwasher hooked up to the internet, they don't give a crap about anything other than collecting money
You must have meant the PC. Servers, especially (VMWare) virtual servers, are still going strong.

Oh for the good old days: mainframe, COBOL, JCL, awakened at 2:30am call by computer operator then at that hour having to head to the office and use core dump to debug a program I never seen before. I had a good time.

For over five years I paid Comcast (likely THE worst company around) $90 a month. For that I got like 80 TV channels (only ten or less was ever worth watching), and most of those channels would periodically go off-air, pixelate, jump from side-to-side, or the sound would go out of sync. Customer service never fixed squat. I finally flipped Comcast the birdie, Got VDSL for $50 a month, and now I have unrestricted internet, plus I can watch all the free TV shows and movies I can track down anytime I want, plus my phone bill is included in the deal. The internet rocks for me....and I expect Comcast still sucks!

As far as internet goes...Comcast, AT&T work flawlessly...as long as everything happens flawlessly. Meaning, as long as everything just keeps working - they are great. It's when something happens outside of expected things is when they fall apart. And they fall apart with flair.
Anytime I have had any problems and call support, over and over I know more than they do. Getting past the wall of front line support who are nothing but robots reading off of a software program that goes off of cue words is maddening. It doesn't matter if you begin the call by saying "I already reset everything" I did this and that... they likely don't even know what you are saying since the language gap is excruciating.

Nothing is free. All the stuff must be manufactured, the networks maintained.

281udlx.jpg

I code my 2d games in visual basic 6
Chicken Torcher?

As far as internet goes...Comcast, AT&T work flawlessly...as long as everything happens flawlessly. Meaning, as long as everything just keeps working - they are great. It's when something happens outside of expected things is when they fall apart. And they fall apart with flair.
Anytime I have had any problems and call support, over and over I know more than they do. Getting past the wall of front line support who are nothing but robots reading off of a software program that goes off of cue words is maddening. It doesn't matter if you begin the call by saying "I already reset everything" I did this and that... they likely don't even know what you are saying since the language gap is excruciating.
I used to just tell them I've done everything they're going to ask me to do so don't bother and just connect me with an upper level tech. If they hem and haw and insist we start from the beginning I tell them to get a supervisor, I tell the supervisor that none of his or her people can help me, they don't have the skill set, connect me with someone with much more advanced knowledge.
Now I find the direct Tech support line and bypass the front rank drones...........

I used to just tell them I've done everything they're going to ask me to do so don't bother and just connect me with an upper level tech. If they hem and haw and insist we start from the beginning I tell them to get a supervisor, I tell the supervisor that none of his or her people can help me, they don't have the skill set, connect me with someone with much more advanced knowledge.
Now I find the direct Tech support line and bypass the front rank drones...........

I have been trying all last week to get my Mother's telephone number transferred to here.
The tech gave us a temporary number and said in about 4 days call and we should be able to transfer the number. Not that f*cking simple. It shouldn't be this hard.
I have so far talked to 4 different people all say the same thing... an error appears that says number is not portable and belongs to another member. I am saying no shit!..That member lives with us now! I have all of her info...PIN number...passwords...address..."secret word"...all of it.
I am getting no where. At this point I am ready to kidnap an AT&T tech and hold him hostage until it get's fixed.

I would not know about the internet. After Comcast screwed me over the cable-TV, there was zero chance I was going to give them a shot with internet. AT&T had something that disqualified them....think it was time limits on how long or often you can use it. I went with Sonic. Had three outages in the past 2+ years. First one was fixed by a phone call. Second one a repairman had to come out. Last one I had to bring in the router for them to fiddle with. Each time the problems actually got fixed, unlike with Comcast's blowing smoke up the tailpipe con-artistry....plus the problems with Comcast cable-TV was the same exact crap over and over about every two to three months. Multiply that by like five years, and it makes me sound pretty dang stupid for putting up with it for so long!

I have been trying all last week to get my Mother's telephone number transferred to here.
The tech gave us a temporary number and said in about 4 days call and we should be able to transfer the number. Not that f*cking simple. It shouldn't be this hard.
I have so far talked to 4 different people all say the same thing... an error appears that says number is not portable and belongs to another member. I am saying no shit!..That member lives with us now! I have all of her info...PIN number...passwords...address..."secret word"...all of it.
I am getting no where. At this point I am ready to kidnap an AT&T tech and hold him hostage until it get's fixed.
I found those are the problems that need someone who's done it before to help otherwise you're stuck going around in circles. This last time opening a new account (you have to when you move back after being gone a year) it wouldn't take my phone number, "belongs to another account". When I called this time I got lucky, all the tech did was combine the two accounts, problem fixed. You might want to have them combine your and your mother's account, if they can figure that out it will be fixed.........

Forum List

Back