Flaming Libs/Koranimals
May 1, 2012
Gulf of Mex 26.609, -82.220
Gold Star family of slain Calif. soldier booed on flight

Tribune News Service

11 hrs ago

AAkvHDd.img

U.S. Army Sgt. John W. Perry of Stockton

Perry was assigned to Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 1st Special Troops Battalion, 1st Sustainment Brigade, 1st Cavalry Division, Fort Hood, Texas. He was at the base supporting Operation Freedom's Sentinel.

An avid runner, he had been preparing to participate in a 5K run at the base in northeast Afghanistan as part of a post-Veterans Day activity to benefit disabled veterans.

Stewart Perry said he, his wife, Kathy, and daughter were flying on an American Airlines flight from Sacramento on Monday to Philadelphia, with a quick transfer in Phoenix. From Philadelphia, they traveled to Dover Air Force Base in Delaware to receive his son's remains.

For unknown reasons, Perry said, the flight to Phoenix was 45 minutes late. The crew feared the delay might cause the Perrys miss their connecting flight.

So, when the plane landed in Phoenix, the captain made an announcement for all passengers to remain seated and to let a "special military family" exit the aircraft first, Perry said.

Several passengers in first class began to boo and complain, Perry said.

"Some people were saying 'This is just baloney,' and 'I paid for first-class for this?' "

He said American Airlines "did everything they could" to accommodate his family.

Perry and his family made their connecting flight, and the pilot in Phoenix stayed at the gate for 40 minutes to make sure they made it on board.

Perry said he does not know if the passengers from Sacramento knew there was a Gold Star family on board, nor does he know if there was a similar reaction from people sitting in coach.

"It was just disgusting behavior from people in first class; it was terrible to see," Perry said. "You could see the disappointment from the flight crew."

The real focus, Perry said, should be on the heroics of his son. The husband and father of two young children died a hero.

"He made a decision that saved a lot of people," Perry said. "I was told that he was found protecting a female soldier. ... He didn't get to live a full life, but he lived."

My apologies to the HERO'S family that they had to endure such disgusting people.

Tribune News Service

11 hrs ago

AAkvHDd.img

U.S. Army Sgt. John W. Perry of Stockton

Perry was assigned to Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 1st Special Troops Battalion, 1st Sustainment Brigade, 1st Cavalry Division, Fort Hood, Texas. He was at the base supporting Operation Freedom's Sentinel.

An avid runner, he had been preparing to participate in a 5K run at the base in northeast Afghanistan as part of a post-Veterans Day activity to benefit disabled veterans.

Stewart Perry said he, his wife, Kathy, and daughter were flying on an American Airlines flight from Sacramento on Monday to Philadelphia, with a quick transfer in Phoenix. From Philadelphia, they traveled to Dover Air Force Base in Delaware to receive his son's remains.

For unknown reasons, Perry said, the flight to Phoenix was 45 minutes late. The crew feared the delay might cause the Perrys miss their connecting flight.

So, when the plane landed in Phoenix, the captain made an announcement for all passengers to remain seated and to let a "special military family" exit the aircraft first, Perry said.

Several passengers in first class began to boo and complain, Perry said.

"Some people were saying 'This is just baloney,' and 'I paid for first-class for this?' "

He said American Airlines "did everything they could" to accommodate his family.

Perry and his family made their connecting flight, and the pilot in Phoenix stayed at the gate for 40 minutes to make sure they made it on board.

Perry said he does not know if the passengers from Sacramento knew there was a Gold Star family on board, nor does he know if there was a similar reaction from people sitting in coach.

"It was just disgusting behavior from people in first class; it was terrible to see," Perry said. "You could see the disappointment from the flight crew."

The real focus, Perry said, should be on the heroics of his son. The husband and father of two young children died a hero.

"He made a decision that saved a lot of people," Perry said. "I was told that he was found protecting a female soldier. ... He didn't get to live a full life, but he lived."

My apologies to the HERO'S family that they had to endure such disgusting people.

AFter researching it on many sites, I come up with this.

The 1st class passengers were told to hold in their seats while a special passenger deplanes. They weren't told why. They weren't booing a gold star family, they were booing someone getting special treatment since all of 1st class deplanes before the other classes. As one person stated before deplaning, "I paid for my 1st class ticket too".

This had nothing to do with a Gold Star Family at all. The real problem was the other 1st class passengers not being informed on the status of the family deplaning early.

When you look at it, the Father might take it the way he did. But if the newscaster had done a fact check (follow up) before reporting this it would have been delegated to a no news.

Personally I doubt if Americans would boo the remains of a Soldier killed in combat unless the information given to the people on the flight was not accurate. You can respect the sensitivity of the family but I doubt if all the information related to the incident is genuine.

You're probably right about erroneous information, but most Viet Nam era veterans can relate to the way it was reported.

You're probably right about erroneous information, but most Viet Nam era veterans can relate to the way it was reported.

ON my way over I was riding on a bus from SF Airport to Hamilton AFB. I was given a grand tour. I was in uniform. These people were proud of their City and were equally proud to show it off. For most of the infractions, it's always been, "I knew a guy" type reporting.

Sorry, but my experiences weren't always quite so nice. I hated traveling cat Z just because we had to wear the uniform to get the discount. You apparently weren't ever called baby killer. Many were.

Sorry, but my experiences weren't always quite so nice. I hated traveling cat Z just because we had to wear the uniform to get the discount. You apparently weren't ever called baby killer. Many were.

Yah, I know. A Buddy knew someone that knew someone it happened to. And could it be the original person was just being a real ass about things?

I was talking personal experience, not relating a tale. I'm glad you were treated so well. I and others weren't.

I think things may have different after Kent State and Walter Cronkite. In 1970, I was treated well in SF. I showed a genuine interest in the city and got quite a guided tour along the long bus ride. I got the same treatment in late 1969 and early 1970. Traveling the globe,I found a smile goes a long way.

Forum List

Back