Gold comes from outerspace

Is there any element on Earth that didn't come from outer space ?

True, but more like it came to this planet as is, and remains that way was more the point. Many other minerals come from processes inside the earth the transform one element into another

Interesting show about gold on "HOw the EArth was made" on history channel last night with some things I didn't know about.

First off, gold was deposited in little particles all over the earth when the earth was being formed from an exploding star. It can't react with anything other than other gold particles. There essenitially gold everywhere, but deposits of gold that have come together is what many people have mined. Gets deposited in curves on river banks, and near fissure in the earth where hot water/magma come up. Pretty cool

so anybody who has gold, that gold has not been changed for millions and millions of years.

So....you have a PhD and weren't previously aware of this? ;)

Gold is actually created from the ‘explosive and compressive pressures' (my words) of a supernova event. All elements heavier than those contained in stellar masses are created in those events and scattered throughout the cosmos by the explosion to be accreted into solid masses later.

I wouldn't be tempted to look in asteroids for gold though, as it would be as rare on an asteroid as it is on Earth, meaning as a percentage of mass, ‘almost infinitesimally’ (my words) small.

Last edited:
Technically, unless that elemental gold went through a nuclear reaction, it is the same gold from millions of years ago, as is the case with any element in its elemental form that has not undergone a nuclear reaction. It seems rather obvious that a heavy metal in its elemental form would amass when exposed to a flow, too. But, I'm glad that the History Channel presents some science in an interesting manner.

yes. all the helium we have was made here. gravity isn't strong enough to hold it.

yes. all the helium we have was made here. gravity isn't strong enough to hold it.

Then how do you explain the Sun, which contains more helium than its rate of fusion would suggest? Or the gas giants? Particualrly Jupiter and Saturn, which do not undergo fusion as does the Sun:

Jupiter's composition is very similar to that of the primordial Solar nebula from which the Sun is formed. The planet is made almost exclusively of gaseous elements (about nine-tenths hydrogen and one-tenth helium by numbers of atoms, but closer to three-quarters and one-quarter by mass) with traces of methane, water, ammonia, and rockier elements. Saturn has a similar composition, but Uranus and Neptune have much less hydrogen and helium. Like the other gas giants, Jupiter does not have a true solid surface. Its gaseous substance simply gets denser with depth

Jupiter

Gravity can hold anything with mass.

Interesting show about gold on "HOw the EArth was made" on history channel last night with some things I didn't know about.

First off, gold was deposited in little particles all over the earth when the earth was being formed from an exploding star. It can't react with anything other than other gold particles. There essenitially gold everywhere, but deposits of gold that have come together is what many people have mined. Gets deposited in curves on river banks, and near fissure in the earth where hot water/magma come up. Pretty cool

so anybody who has gold, that gold has not been changed for millions and millions of years.

Every element is the product of stars, Dr, Gregg.

Even hydrogen was created by the same kind of forces that produced gold and all other elements.

This leads me to ask what kind of Doctor are you?

Now if you tell me you are an MD, then I'll understand why you didn't know that, already.

I am constantly amazed how ignorant most MDs are about things (other than medicine) generally.

A wild generalization, I know, but still I find it more than just a little distrubing.

Even hydrogen was created by the same kind of forces that produced gold and all other elements.

Now if you tell me you are an MD, then I'll understand why you didn't know that, already.

I am constantly amazed how ignorant most MDs are about things (other than medicine) generally.

A wild generalization, I know, but still I find it more than just a little distrubing.
My observation, too.

and I bet there are plenty of things you don't know that I do. Jesus christ people, having a PhD doesn't mean I know everything about everything in the world. an d I clarified the "gold comes from outerspace" in that it came ot us as is. semantics that yeah, everything comes from space, you don't think I know that? Fuck, do people just scour the internet looking to attack people?

Actually, all the heavier elements are only made from "exploded" stars. That means all of us are made from "stardust". I would rather come from a "super nova" than be "shimmered into being" from a pile of dirt.

Stardust, sweet!

I heard that gold can only come from the much bigger and hotter stars too. In other words our little sun won't produce gold.

Are We Really All Made of Stars?

These collisions are responsible for half of the heavy elements in the universe.
The heavy elements are dispersed in the gas in galaxies, which settles down and condenses to form stars and discs around stars. That forms planets, and the planets have gold in them -- which we mine on Earth, Kalogera said.
In order for these neutron stars to form in the first place, there was a supernova when the universe was young: about 2 billion years old. For 11 billion years after, these stars danced around one another until they died in the final collision.
The initial supernova that created the neutron stars also created elements up to the weight of iron. This latest collision of the neutron stars, resulting in a kilonova, created all of the elements heavier than iron. So the entire life cycle of these stars created every element represented on the periodic table, according to Edo Berger of the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics.

First-seen neutron star collision creates light, gravitational waves and gold - CNN

So everything heavier than iron is the result of events more violent than supernovas. Wow!

Forum List

Back