Gold as Money: FAQ

Kevin_Kennedy

Defend Liberty
Aug 27, 2008
Some responses to common objections about the use of gold as money:

1. There simply is not enough gold for it to be used as money.

This is just like saying "we cannot possibly measure the size of microbes because inches are too large". An excellent counterpoint to this line of thinking is to ask "what amount of gold will make it acceptable for use as money?"

Gold as Money: FAQ - The Mises Community

I thought some of the "anti-gold" crowd here might find this interesting, if not enlightening.

well, you know my objection to relying on anything from the Mises Institute as a source,

That seems a little close-minded, but it's your choice.

Admittedly, it would be closed minded if I hadn't already explored the issue.

BTW, I'll be posting an ethics question on economics, momentarily. I hope I'll get your input on it.

Well, I'm glad you've at least looked into the issue.

If I have any thoughts on the subject I'll be glad to give them.

That seems a little close-minded, but it's your choice.

BTW, I'll be posting an ethics question on economics, momentarily. I hope I'll get your input on it.

Given the issues and their ramifications, it's pretty important to look at everything. And I don't mean to diminish your source... To me, not being an economist, but listening to all of the economic discussion I'm afraid I see the laissez faire policies promoted by Mises and the other Austrians as already being proven to enrich only the richest and destroy the middle class, while leaving a huge underclass...

I like this country. I'd prefer we not be a banana republic. And that's what I see as the logical conclusion of Austrian economic policy. It's a bit too Darwinian for my taste.

Given the issues and their ramifications, it's pretty important to look at everything. And I don't mean to diminish your source... To me, not being an economist, but listening to all of the economic discussion I'm afraid I see the laissez faire policies promoted by Mises and the other Austrians as already being proven to enrich only the richest and destroy the middle class, while leaving a huge underclass...

I like this country. I'd prefer we not be a banana republic. And that's what I see as the logical conclusion of Austrian economic policy. It's a bit too Darwinian for my taste.

Didn't Ron Paul think he was being interviewed by an Austrian and it ended up being Sasha Baron Cohen in disquise? :lol:

In a five-minute scene, comedian Cohen tries—and fails—to seduce the Texas congressman and former Republican presidential candidate in a Washington hotel room. A spokeswoman for Paul confirmed the appearance but declined to discuss details, which were provided by two people who attended a test screening last week.

And did you see Obama's appointee to oversee the TARP funds on the Daily Show? She explained it perfectly what needs to be done.

Here are your options.

a. Before we put regulations into place, the US economy had big ups and downs every 10 years. Good luck with your 401K.

b. After we put in Regulations, we had about 50 years without any troubles. No major crashes.

Then we removed some important regulations and we got the S&L scandal of the 80's. McCain was involved and so was John Glenn. Look up Keating 5.

Then Bush & Tom Delay really got rid of a lot of regulations, and we have the economy we have now.

Forum List

Back