Going under the knife

jimnyc

Aug 28, 2003
New York
I'll be MIA for awhile as I go into the hospital tomorrow morning to get sliced open. So long as they remove the right parts and return those that I need, I expect to be back in action fairly quickly. Somehow I can't imagine ripping the muscle away from my bones, cutting a herniated disk, replacing with bone from a donor, and holding this little model together with a metal plate, will be too comforting. It would appear I finally get to test out a morphine drip afterwards though! Apparently the surgery leaves you in severe pain when swallowing for awhile and they counter that with the good stuff! I just hope I'm flying high enough to forget I'm there though because I'm definitely staying overnight.

I'm scared of the surgery and especially the anesthesia, and afraid to be stuck in there overnight. I doub't they'll bring me McDonald's and not so sure I'll be able to eat anything other than through a straw for a couple of days. I also doubt they'll let me smoke in my room. For the money they charge I should at least be able to be comfortable!

Surgery starts at noon, hopefully by 2pm I'll be back on this earth, otherwise, it's been nice knowing all of you! :laugh:

Ill certainly pray for your speedy recovery...On the bright side you'll probably get a Morphine drip for a week:D

jimnyc said:
I'll be MIA for awhile as I go into the hospital tomorrow morning to get sliced open. So long as they remove the right parts and return those that I need, I expect to be back in action fairly quickly. Somehow I can't imagine ripping the muscle away from my bones, cutting a herniated disk, replacing with bone from a donor, and holding this little model together with a metal plate, will be too comforting. It would appear I finally get to test out a morphine drip afterwards though! Apparently the surgery leaves you in severe pain when swallowing for awhile and they counter that with the good stuff! I just hope I'm flying high enough to forget I'm there though because I'm definitely staying overnight.

I'm scared of the surgery and especially the anesthesia, and afraid to be stuck in there overnight. I doub't they'll bring me McDonald's and not so sure I'll be able to eat anything other than through a straw for a couple of days. I also doubt they'll let me smoke in my room. For the money they charge I should at least be able to be comfortable!

Surgery starts at noon, hopefully by 2pm I'll be back on this earth, otherwise, it's been nice knowing all of you! :laugh:
Good luck Jim! I hope all goes well and you have a nice nurse. ;)

A very routine procedure..they probably have done hundreds/thousands/millions/gazillions of them.

Good thoughts and prayers for you!

Rest assured you will be just fine Jim. Remember the gaping hole you had in your back not long ago? Things went fine with that.
I know a couple back surgery patients and they swear by it! It's good they've been able to regain their life. The one in particular had the same surgery you're facing. Only thing is, she didn't know about it until she fell on the ice & it was then discovered via ex-ray. Her's was so bad, it was about to sever her spinal cord. She's been great since. Look forward to those sponge baths. ;)

jimnyc said:

Heal quickly Jim - and if you don't get pics of the actual operation, I'll ban ya!

:D

At least you are afraid of something people rarely have to do. Me? I am afraid of ladders... I have to climb the bastages all the time too!

Good thoughts will be flowing your direction...

dmp said:
Heal quickly Jim - and if you don't get pics of the actual operation, I'll ban ya!

:D

I'm ahead of you and thought of that already! Unfortunately, I don't think the doctor or nurses will be taking any pictures while I'm being operated on. I would at least like to have one right after the first incision!

If not, I'll get a few of me drugged up in recovery at least. And maybe I'll find a few disabled hotties as well! :)

Thanks to all of you for the well wishes.

Oh, and they moved the surgery up till 10am and I need to be there for 8am. So anyone getting their voodoo dolls ready to off me, do so 2 hours earlier than indicated!

Sounds very similar to what my daughter had done recently. She seemed to heal very quickly.

Don't worry about the nicotine cravings... seems like the morphine should taker the edge off that for ya! ;)

mom4 said:
Don't worry about the nicotine cravings... seems like the morphine should taker the edge off that for ya! ;)

On that note, let me look for suggestions from you guys. The smoking afterwards and long term will be hard enough but I'm worried about before as well. If it's not bad enough that I'm scared to death to be under anasthesia, I'm not allowed to have anything after midnight tonight. No food, water, drinks of any kind, coffee...

How the hell will I be normal without my coffee? In fact, I predict I'll have a headache from lack of caffeine by 8am. I'm going to be going out of my mind with stress tomorrow morn!

jimnyc said:
On that note, let me look for suggestions from you guys. The smoking afterwards and long term will be hard enough but I'm worried about before as well. If it's not bad enough that I'm scared to death to be under anasthesia, I'm not allowed to have anything after midnight tonight. No food, water, drinks of any kind, coffee...

How the hell will I be normal without my coffee? In fact, I predict I'll have a headache from lack of caffeine by 8am. I'm going to be going out of my mind with stress tomorrow morn!
Geez, we share common vices! :smoke: :cof: :smoke: :cof: :smoke: :cof:

You'll make it through, I wish I'd permanently quit smoking after the 10 days in the hospital in traction!

I cheated once and had a coffee waaaaaay before surgery. Though drugged, I was awake through the entire proceedure and, near the end, I had to pee! Pls, my ear wouldnt' stop itching. On a postive note, the pre-surgery drugs were pretty good. :banana:

Oh, I almost forgot, good luck and get well quick!

New Topics

Forum List

Back