Going to try to get through the New Testament this year...

See what I mean? You can't just read the bible you have to read each paragraph and then have a discussion with 5 scholars who will not agree with the meaning.

"So he drove the man out and to the east of Eden he placed the Cherubim with a flaming and flashing sword that turns in every direction, to guard the way to the tree of life"
Who's he? What's a cherbum? What's the significance of the flaming and flashing? What does driving the man out have to do with the tree of life?

Can you tell me what this means? And do 9 out of 10 priests agree?
No, but 4 out of 5 dentists do!
Seriously can you tell me what that passage was about? So the same thing happens when someone is told to read the bible and they do. Unless someone who thinks they know can translate it, it really isn't saying anything specific.

I'm sure behind every parable is a message but it's really all over the place
The best way to understand the Bible is to learn Hebrew and Greek.

Then read it in Hebrew and Greek.

See what I mean? You can't just read the bible you have to read each paragraph and then have a discussion with 5 scholars who will not agree with the meaning.
If you can read it in Greek or Hebrew yourself then you become a scholar yourself and then you don't need to rely on anyone else.

Or so I have found.

This is interesting. A newer version of the Heritage called the ESV Reader's Bible. No headers, no verse markings, single column...read it just like a regular book...

ESV Reader's Bible (Cloth Over Board, Timeless): ESV Bibles by Crossway: 9781433544149: Amazon.com: Books
I'm glad you are not using the KJV. The KJV is the most messed up translation out there. It was written down by a bunch of idiots around 1500.

Good luck as you progress thru the Old and New Testaments.

For the sake of economy, I would suggest starting with the New Testament, and only go back into the Old Testament where Jesus or another author like the Apostles or Evangelists quote the Old.

That will save you a ton of time and reading.

Remember Jesus came to "fulfil" the Old Testament (law and prophets) by which he ended up changing or nullifying most of it. Peter and Paul tended to nullify the rest of it.

Starting with the New Testament, Christianity begins and Judaism effectively ends.

Since you are not learning to practice as a Jew you have very little need for the Old Testament.

Remember Jesus came to "fulfil" the Old Testament (law and prophets) by which he ended up changing or nullifying most of it.

To fulfill the law is to comply with its demands.

The only thing that became obsolete after the revelation of Jesus about the figurative nature of the words and hidden subjects in the law was the wrong way to follow the law, according to the talmud, what Jesus called the traditions of men.

I am no longer a Christian but I had many different versions. That's the only way to get a better understanding of what was transmitted along the way. No one knows what was originally written, no copies are extant and changes were made along the way.

That said language is not so easy to translate. A literal translation can mean something entirely different than the intent. A fluid contemporary translation relies on the translators interpretation. But these days with the internet it's easy to cross reference passages.

If you can read it in Greek or Hebrew yourself then you become a scholar yourself and then you don't need to rely on anyone else.

Or so I have found.
So learn Greek or Jew and you can make up your own meaning?

There are Greek priests who are still debating the enterpritation

rely on your own counsel.

If you want to avoid some confusion you should avoid the advice of men who read the bible and have come to believe that God is edible.
So even you don't know what that passage means. Thank you for admitting it
No I am telling you to use the brains god gave you. Are you saying that you can't figure out the teaching of stories written by bronze age goat herders to instruct their children?
Nope. Unlike the goat herders kids I'm not buying it. And it's a lovely book filled with wonderful stories but please don't post something vague without telling me the point. Yes I'm a little slow. I need a tutor

"So he drove the man out and to the east of Eden he placed the Cherubim with a flaming and flashing sword that turns in every direction, to guard the way to the tree of life"
Who's he? What's a cherbum? What's the significance of the flaming and flashing? What does driving the man out have to do with the tree of life?

Can you tell me what this means? And do 9 out of 10 priests agree?

A cheribum is a mythological creature representative of a specific type of human being. There were two on the top of the box in which the law was kept. These two represent either two living creatures or one creature that appears twice suggested by their looking back at each other as if speaking across the river of time as in the vision of daniel.

Then I, Daniel, looked and behold, two others were standing, one on this bank of the river and the other on that bank of the river. And one said to the man dressed in linen, who was above the waters of the river, "How long will it be until the end of these wonders?

The flaming and flashing represent the fantastical stories of supernatural events. These diversions were put in place to guard the way to the tree of life. Keeping the meaning of the law secret and hidden from froward individuals.
So this is what the bible talks about right after it tells the Jesus story? OK, if you could sum this up what do you think the message is here? Is it to convince them that supernatural events occured?

Then what does the bible talk about in the 3rd chapter?

Remember Jesus came to "fulfil" the Old Testament (law and prophets) by which he ended up changing or nullifying most of it.

To fulfill the law is to comply with its demands.

The only thing that became obsolete after the revelation of Jesus about the figurative nature of the words and hidden subjects in the law was the wrong way to follow the law, according to the talmud, what Jesus called the traditions of men.
The Tenakh is full of ridiculous nebulous obsolete crap that it is not worth even reading.

Much of the practical stuff in common sense.

The animal cruelty really pizzes me off however.

There is an online site where you can go to select among a dozen or more versions of the Bible. The site gives you the ability to use both verse-search and word-search on each version. The Bible is also available in multiple languages. Here's the link:

BibleGateway.com: A searchable online Bible in over 150 versions and 50 languages.

This is where I go to do my research. It is easy to use and allows you to quickly compare the various interpretations. When you compare, the different translations you will find many differences. For example, in the KJV Matthew claimed that Christ was to be born in the city of Bethlehem as prophesied in Micah 5:2. Here are the relevant verses from the KJV:

“But you, Bethlehem Ephrathah, Though you are little among the thousands of Judah,Yet out of you shall come forth to Me The One to be Ruler in Israel, Whose goings forth are from of old, From everlasting” (Micah 5:2).

“And when he had gathered all the chief priests and scribes of the people together, he inquired of them where the Christ was to be born. So they said to him, “In Bethlehem of Judea, for thus it is written by the prophet ‘But you, Bethlehem, in the land of Judah,Are not the least among the rulers of Judah; For out of you shall come a Rule Who will shepherd My people Israel’” (Matthew 2:4-6).

It is clear that Matthew thought that the Bethlehem in Micah 5:2 was a city. However, other versions of the Bible claim that Bethlehem was not a land, but rather the name of a clan (the clan of Bethlehem, son of Ephrathah). Here a a few such translations:

“But you, Bethlehem Ephrathah, though you are small among the clans of Judah, out of you will come for me one who will be ruler over Israel whose origins are from of old, from ancient times” (Micah 5:2, NIV).

“As for you, Bethlehem Ephrathah, seemingly insignificant among the clans of Judah— from you a king will emerge who will rule over Israel on my behalf, one whose origins are in the distant past” (New English Translation).

“But you, Bethlehem Ephrathah, although you are small among the tribes of Judah, from you will come forth for Me one who will be ruler over Israel His origins are from of old, from ancient days” (Modern English Version).

Note: In the overall scheme of things, it doesn't matter which version is correct. In all versions the birth of Christ in Bethlehem was prophesied in Micah 5:2. In the KJV (and certain other translations), Matthew claimed that Micah 5:2 specifically said Christ would be born in the City of Bethlehem. In certain other versions Matthew claimed Christ would be born out of the clan (not city) of Bethlehem Ephrathah. However, the clan of Bethlehem Ephrathah resided in the town of Bethlehem so that in the final analysis all versions acknowledge that the birth of Christ in Bethlehem was prophesied in Micah 5:2 although they used different language to get to that point.

I have been studying the Bible for 65 years, starting when I was 12 and I still learn new things. I wish you well in your effort to study the Bible.

There are Greek priests who are still debating the enterpritation

rely on your own counsel.

If you want to avoid some confusion you should avoid the advice of men who read the bible and have come to believe that God is edible.
So even you don't know what that passage means. Thank you for admitting it
No I am telling you to use the brains god gave you. Are you saying that you can't figure out the teaching of stories written by bronze age goat herders to instruct their children?
Nope. Unlike the goat herders kids I'm not buying it. And it's a lovely book filled with wonderful stories but please don't post something vague without telling me the point. Yes I'm a little slow. I need a tutor

Unlike the goat herders children you're not buying it? Buying what?

Do you think they were not teaching their children hard learned lessons of the past? Do you think they were just fucking with their own children's minds? They didn't love their children and want for them to have happy and fulfilling lives?

Is that what you think, really?

In the very first book there appears a talking serpent. Isn't a talking serpent a dead giveaway that metaphors are being used? When you read that do you feel like someone is trying to trick you or teach you something about a specific personality type out there in the real world like a plague?

And whats so vague about telling you not to seek advice from someone who thinks that God can be eaten?

There is far more there in the Bible than just nice stories. There is a trove of hidden treasure hoarded in secret places.

If you look and look and keep on looking, you will find it.

Last edited:
Finished Acts this evening three days ahead of schedule...two down in two months, 25 to go...

Forum List

Back