Going to try to get through the New Testament this year...

It makes more sense to read it on Sunday's before or after church.

It also makes more sense to read it as follows:

- Mark first. This was the first of the 4 Gospels written, although the writing of Paul to Thessalonians was actually the first written. Paul was the first to write, and then Peter had his stepson Mark write for him. So Mark is actually the stories of Peter, who was the first of all the apostles called by Jesus.

- Matthew second. Although Peter, Andrew, James, and John were called as apostles before Matthew, Matthew is the next writer in order for the 4 gospels.

- Luke third. Luke did not join the crew of apostles and evangelists (missionaries) until the times of Paul, however he is the first to combine the writings of Mark, Matthew, and Paul into a comprehensive story.

- Acts fourth. Acts was the 2nd story written by Luke.

- John fifth. John the apostle is the last of all the writers, and you could also wait to read him last. He is a philosopher as well as an apostle and he begins his story with a phrase from Greek philosophy regarding "LOGOS" which is where our word "logic" comes from.

- All the other writes next in order, like Jude, James etc.

- The letters of Paul last.

- Ignore Hebrews because it is alleged to be counterfeit. Note also that Revelation is also alleged to be counterfeit. Eusebius the 4th century bishop tells us about this. You can next read his book "History Of The Church" (circa 325 A.D.) to finish the story.

After Eusebius, church history becomes Catholic history, followed by the spin-off of the Greek Orthodox Church in 1054 A.D., and then the Protestants in the 1500's A.D.

Sunday mornings or afternoons are the best time. Take it one "book" at a time. These were really scrolls not "books". Books were not invented for several centuries later, originally called a codex or codices for plural.

Which one or version?
Good question.

Unless you can read Greek (like me) you will need to choose an English version.

If you are reading online, the best and most accurate English version is YLT -- Young's Literal Translation:

Mark 1 YLT

Note that of all the English translations, KJV (King James) is the worst.

Of bibles in print, the Catholic "Douay-Rheims" is one of the better ones. You can buy this one in any Catholic bookstore.

It makes more sense to read it on Sunday's before or after church.

It also makes more sense to read it as follows:

- Mark first. This was the first of the 4 Gospels written, although the writing of Paul to Thessalonians was actually the first written. Paul was the first to write, and then Peter had his stepson Mark write for him. So Mark is actually the stories of Peter, who was the first of all the apostles called by Jesus.

- Matthew second. Although Peter, Andrew, James, and John were called as apostles before Matthew, Matthew is the next writer in order for the 4 gospels.

- Luke third. Luke did not join the crew of apostles and evangelists (missionaries) until the times of Paul, however he is the first to combine the writings of Mark, Matthew, and Paul into a comprehensive story.

- Acts fourth. Acts was the 2nd story written by Luke.

- John fifth. John the apostle is the last of all the writers, and you could also wait to read him last. He is a philosopher as well as an apostle and he begins his story with a phrase from Greek philosophy regarding "LOGOS" which is where our word "logic" comes from.

- All the other writes next in order, like Jude, James etc.

- The letters of Paul last.

- Ignore Hebrews because it is alleged to be counterfeit. Note also that Revelation is also alleged to be counterfeit. Eusebius the 4th century bishop tells us about this. You can next read his book "History Of The Church" (circa 325 A.D.) to finish the story.

After Eusebius, church history becomes Catholic history, followed by the spin-off of the Greek Orthodox Church in 1054 A.D., and then the Protestants in the 1500's A.D.

Sunday mornings or afternoons are the best time. Take it one "book" at a time. These were really scrolls not "books". Books were not invented for several centuries later, originally called a codex or codices for plural.

And take. Your. Time.

A better use of your time would be a book on science or taking some classes in a useful field.

:lol: Like philosophy or history?
If you are interested in Christianity then The New Testament is the perfect place to start.

I actually encourage such people to completely ignore The Old Testament since you do not really need it, and it is mostly the history of Judaism, which is completely different from Christianity.

Jesus and St. Peter and St. Paul changed most if not all of the old Jewish rules anyway. By the time you get to Matthew Chapters 5, 6, and 7 you will see why.

The New Testament is essentially Jesus' and the Apostles "philosophies" of right actions combined with certain rules such as baptism, sacrament of bread and wine, last rites, marriage, etc. Christianity is a philosophy combined with certain required ethics (a branch of philosophy) together with certain procedural "ordinances".

If Philosophy then interests you, you can pick up a book like "History Of Western Philosophy" by Bertrand Russell and read it to learn more about this issue of "ethics" after you have finished The New Testament.

Science is the third major mental activity next to Religion and Philosophy. Galileo invented it with his telescope in 1610. Science is very good to know, but one must not let Science become his/her religion. The biggest mistake people make who love science is to turn it into their religion. This is as foolish as turning your religion into science.

Philosophy must always remain superior to all else.

Trying to understand the NT without a grounding in the OT is futile. I do commend your taking on the task. Read Leviticus 16. The whole NT is there.

I commend your ambition. Without a grounding in the OT, understanding the NT is a futile task. Read Leviticus 16. It will keep you grounded in true doctrine.

That should say Testament...

...using the 5x5x5 Plan on this page...Bible Reading Plans for 2017

Claims 5 minutes per night, we'll see how it goes.

Going try to get through all the Silver Age DC's this year.

Wish me luck.
How are you doing so far? I would love it if each time you read some you would give us a synopsis of what you got out of it

I'm curious if it's just me or is it just a book of random ramblings. Not a very good story. Maybe you can explain it as you go. I think it would be very interesting people would enterprit chapters differently. This could end up being the longest thread and go a year.

What have you read so far? How does it start?

Forum List

Back