Going to give Apple a try.

If you didn't have a USB drive, how did you try to install OS X? You were supposed to load the Mac OS X installer, Unibeast and Multibeast on the USB and boot from that to install Mac OS X on a Hackintosh.

UniBeast Install OS X Yosemite on Any Supported Intel-based PC
Tried from a DVD, it said either or. I had DVDs on hand so I used em...... :dunno:
Checked with Tonymac and they said it won't work if Linux is on the machine, the HD has to be blank or have Windows on it.
When you boot from Unibeast, and start the OS X installer, use Disk Utility to format and partition the drive. You can reinstall Linux and/or Windows afterwards.
I haven't tried Unibeast. The only reason I'll put any other OS back on that machine is if OS X doesn't work all that well.
Your install disk must contain Unibeast, Multibeast and the OS X installer. Follow the guide. I installed OS X on a HP ProBook and all I had to change was the WiFi card to a Mac approved card which I found on eBay for under $10 shipped.
Maybe I'm misreading. From what I've read the old Dell will only take Snow Leopard but to my knowledge no one has tried any other version. With Snow Leopard ya need iboot, put iboot in, reboot and at the prompt take iboot out, configure bios then put in the OS X disc and load.
You can only use iBoot with the original full install OS X 10.6 disk, not an upgrade disk. You still need MultiBeast to configure your hardware. Use UniBeast for installers downloaded from Apple. Also you configure your BIOS before you use iBoot.

tonymacx86 Blog iBoot MultiBeast Install Mac OS X on any Intel-based PC

Tried from a DVD, it said either or. I had DVDs on hand so I used em...... :dunno:
Checked with Tonymac and they said it won't work if Linux is on the machine, the HD has to be blank or have Windows on it.
When you boot from Unibeast, and start the OS X installer, use Disk Utility to format and partition the drive. You can reinstall Linux and/or Windows afterwards.
I haven't tried Unibeast. The only reason I'll put any other OS back on that machine is if OS X doesn't work all that well.
Your install disk must contain Unibeast, Multibeast and the OS X installer. Follow the guide. I installed OS X on a HP ProBook and all I had to change was the WiFi card to a Mac approved card which I found on eBay for under $10 shipped.
Maybe I'm misreading. From what I've read the old Dell will only take Snow Leopard but to my knowledge no one has tried any other version. With Snow Leopard ya need iboot, put iboot in, reboot and at the prompt take iboot out, configure bios then put in the OS X disc and load.
It was probably an old post. I think you have a core duo or core2duo which should at least support Mountain Lion, OS X 10.8 if it is 64 bit. Give UniBeast and MultiBeast a chance even with Snow Leopard.
I know from what I've read I have to disable on of the cores.

It was probably an old post. I think you have a core duo or core2duo which should at least support Mountain Lion, OS X 10.8 if it is 64 bit. Give UniBeast and MultiBeast a chance even with Snow Leopard.
Is your laptop 32 or 64 bit? If 32 bit Snow Leopard is the highest you can go. If 64 bit you can go much higher.

Is your laptop 32 or 64 bit? If 32 bit Snow Leopard is the highest you can go. If 64 bit you can go much higher.
It's 32 bit, I know I first tried to load 64 bit Win 7 on it when I finished repairing it. A co-worker had given it to me, said it didn't work and was sitting in his closet for 3 years, turned out the HD was bad.

I've been a windows user from the beginning,but after going through three mid range laptops in just over a year and having iphones that never fail I've decided to go to the dark side. Or the hipster side as it were.
Any advice from MacBook Pro users on making the switch a little less painful?

I'm something of a Mac Evangelist, have been since 1993. I've never owned a PC, but have tried using Windows and always find it much more difficult to use than the Mac OS. Macs are easy to use and learn to use. There're stats out there stating that some 90% of people who go from Windows to Mac never go back.

I've been a windows user from the beginning,but after going through three mid range laptops in just over a year and having iphones that never fail I've decided to go to the dark side. Or the hipster side as it were.

I'm something of a Mac Evangelist, have been since 1993. I've never owned a PC, but have tried using Windows and always find it much more difficult to use than the Mac OS. Macs are easy to use and learn to use. There're stats out there stating that some 90% of people who go from Windows to Mac never go back.

After using it for about a month and a half I have to agree.

The MacBook is flat out easy to operate and more intuitive to me than Windows.

You're trying to compare apples to oranges.

The iPhone is a device with no moving parts. A laptop has moving parts. Unless you move to a device you'll probably continue to have problems no matter who makes the computer.

Heat is another MAJOR factor. Do you place you laptop on a cooling tray?

Mac Book update.
After less than three months the screen started delaminating and it refused to turn on last night.
They are replacing it for free. As much as I like it,If it happens again I'm done with apple.

Mac Book update.
After less than three months the screen started delaminating and it refused to turn on last night.
They are replacing it for free. As much as I like it,If it happens again I'm done with apple.
Like almost every product some are lemons, and some good products have the occasional lemon tossed in.
Just because yours had a defective part doesn't make the whole bad.

Organization I retired from had close to 100 MacBooks in the hands of people of various skills. One had a screen problem after a few months hard use; Apple replaced the entire machine at no charge but insisted the bad one be returned so they could investigate the cause.

Interestingly, despite the screen problem the laptop was still marginally usable and Apple shipped the replacement with no proof that anything was wrong - didn't feel they needed the bad one back until the new one was in place and running.

Funniest one I ever had with Apple - bought a refurbished iPad mini and found it only spoke some variety of Arabic! One phone call and ten minutes of fresh download and it was fine. God knows how it might have been refurbished.

Mac Book update.
Like almost every product some are lemons, and some good products have the occasional lemon tossed in.

Thats why i'm going to give em another shot.
I've never had a problem with the iphone so I know they make pretty good stuff.
We'll see how the next one works out.

Mac Book update.

Like someone else said an iphone is not a laptop though there are enough refurbished iphones for sale to prove that there's the occasional lemon among that product also.

Mac Book update.

Like someone else said an iphone is not a laptop though there are enough refurbished iphones for sale to prove that there's the occasional lemon among that product also.

Of the 4 iphones I've had over the years I've never had a problem with any of them.
Other than dropping em.

Mac Book update.

Of the 4 iphones I've had over the years I've never had a problem with any of them.
Other than dropping em.
Same thing with my Android phones.

New Topics

Forum List

Back