Going to college might not be your best bet

Lovebears65

Gold Member
Apr 17, 2011
Georgia
I have had so many friends and relatives coming out of college with no jobs to go to. I sometimes this going to is a waste. My oldest is in college but in the medical field. Tyler is going for businesses management he works for CVS and have already offered his own store once he graduates. My youngest is more then likely to follow in his dad foot steps in go military . So far we have no debt due to schooling. I hate when I see all these kids going to school with thousands and thousands of dollars owed when they get out when nearly 50 percent cant even get a job to pay the loan off. Its a sad day in America:(

I have had so many friends and relatives coming out of college with no jobs to go to. I sometimes this going to is a waste. My oldest is in college but in the medical field. Tyler is going for businesses management he works for CVS and have already offered his own store once he graduates. My youngest is more then likely to follow in his dad foot steps in go military . So far we have no debt due to schooling. I hate when I see all these kids going to school with thousands and thousands of dollars owed when they get out when nearly 50 percent cant even get a job to pay the loan off. Its a sad day in America:(

I understand the pessimism, But the sun rises in the mourning.

Its always darkest before the dawn. Employers do not hire the pessimistic, keep the faith.

If I had enough money to fund 4 years worth of my sons college education I would NOT use it to send him to college.

I'd help him invest that $80,000 or so into some kind of small business.

The kind of education that he'd be needing to round out his kind of intellectualism doesn't really require a formal college education. It helps but it isn't really necessary, if you get my drift.

The kid's intellectual skills are mostly verbal, and frankly, college education in that area of study doesn't typically give on a very good return on the investment.

Today's intellectual class needs to have a solid trade or business to support them.

There are far more intellectuals than there are billets to support them.

What business is it of yours what other people choose to do? I find it a tad overly dramatic - bordering on drama queen behavior - to define it as a 'sad day in America'.

Mind your business and other people mind theirs then maybe you'll be less inclined towards irrational drama queen behavior.

If I had enough money to fund 4 years worth of my sons college education I would NOT use it to send him to college.

The kind of education that he'd be needing to round out his kind of intellectualism doesn't really require a formal college education. It helps but it isn't really necessary, if you get my drift.

The kid's intellectual skills are mostly verbal, and frankly, college education in that area of study doesn't typically give on a very good return on the investment.

Today's intellectual class needs to have a solid trade or business to support them.

The people I have known with the most knowledge never went to school past the age of 15, they were mostly self taught. And, one of them is very wealthy.

I made the decision early to follow in my father's foosteps and join the skilled trades.

I found a shop to sponser me and served my apprenticeship as a tool and die maker. I got my journeymans card in 1988. And have NEVER been lacking for employment. The shop I work for now has been looking for another qualified die maker for two years.( we're still looking) Now granted, we don't live in the die making capital of the world, but it is a fairly large metroplex.

I would concure with your assesment of using the money to start a business.

I think in my next life, I would love to become a chef, Maybe work for a small bistro in northern Ca.

Gotta have a goal right?

In danger of sounding like a broken record - but if you want to blame someone for exploding college tuition - blame the federal government and the "feel good" vote catchers who have created a false demand by handing out grant money like candy at a parade.
The drop out rate for most U.S. colleges is now over half. Many because they cannot afford to continue, meanwhile scores of people who shouldn't even BE in college continue to go because they get everything paid for including living expenses. (aka beer and video game money)
Did it ever occur to them that a child who couldn't hack high school might not be successful in COLLEGE?? No. Because they (especially Obama who brings it up every chance he gets) loooove to be able to say they are giving 100,000's of kids a chance to get an education.
And thereby creating an atmosphere of extremely high tuition rates along with extremely high failure rates.

Last edited:
We need more concentration on trade school for most kids. We also need to dispell the stigma associated with a trade. Not every kid needs to go to college but they all need some sort of training.

I have a a college degree and mine coal. I make more money mining than I ever did teaching. If I had it to do over again I would have skipped college.

We need more concentration on trade school for most kids. We also need to dispell the stigma associated with a trade. Not every kid needs to go to college but they all need some sort of training.

I have a a college degree and mine coal. I make more money mining than I ever did teaching. If I had it to do over again I would have skipped college.

Yeauup..count me in also.
My degree has done absolutely nothing for me. I make the money I do in the business I am in for reasons completely outside of the plaque on the wall.

I have a nephew who graduated top of his HS class and decided to go to trade school to study industrial electricity instead of college. His parents freaked out.

He makes 100,000 plus a year and could not be happier. No degree but advanced training.

Never has to fear the job market because he has an applicable set of advanced skills.

College isn't for everyone, but increasingly it's advocated as the "Right" thing to do for just about everyone. Especially with upcoming shortages of skilled tradesmen, skilled trade should be presented as a palatable option for young people.

Click on Moody, y'all love this one:

Moody

:eusa_whistle:

"Now the ratings agency Moody's has weighed in with a chilling diagnosis: "Unless students limit their debt burdens, choose fields of study that are in demand, and successfully complete their degrees on time..."

Does not sound chilling to me. Sounds like school.

Low paying jobs are helping to hurt the economy thats why all kids need to be trained to get high paying jobs. Low paying jobs should be left only for summer and part time students. I told my two kids to never ever settle for minimum wage, even while in school. And they didnt. I also guided them into asking for raises after each year....no raise, you quit. Walk out, no notice. Words to live by.

Forum List

Back