Going To College In The Military????

NATO AIR

Jun 25, 2004
USS Abraham Lincoln
If you have time, I have a serious question for those of you who have served in the military. I have 3 years left to serve, and a Super Hornet pilot I am familiar with talked to me about setting a three year goal for college courses and credits in the military.

From your personal experience, how did you earn/work your way towards your bachelors degree while you were in the military?

Did you take a lot of CLEP tests? (these are easily taken onboard underway)

Did you take college courses in a class or online? (not very feasible here)

Did you take correspondence courses? (feasible but mail time will be super slow)

Just wondering, trying to figure out what I can do that I will get credit for when I'm out of the Navy and attending college in Miami or D.C. I'd like to at least get my standard courses out of the way so I'll only have to finish my junior/senior year worth of stuff. I just don't know at this point how exactly I am going to accomplish that.

Nato.....
CLEP was the most convenient way in my time, but not the easiest as I recall.
I did classes on my off time. The net didn't exist yet, I wish it had.

Can't you wait for youur current active duty term to expire then reinlist and go reserve? That way you'll acutually have some classroom time.

Guess if you don't want to reinlist though it could be a problem.

Attempt all the Clep. Can you qualify for AP? Do all you can. With that said, many universities offer some other type of 'mastery'. Inquire.

NATO AIR said:
If you have time, I have a serious question for those of you who have served in the military. I have 3 years left to serve, and a Super Hornet pilot I am familiar with talked to me about setting a three year goal for college courses and credits in the military.

From your personal experience, how did you earn/work your way towards your bachelors degree while you were in the military?

Did you take a lot of CLEP tests? (these are easily taken onboard underway)

Did you take college courses in a class or online? (not very feasible here)

Did you take correspondence courses? (feasible but mail time will be super slow)

Just wondering, trying to figure out what I can do that I will get credit for when I'm out of the Navy and attending college in Miami or D.C. I'd like to at least get my standard courses out of the way so I'll only have to finish my junior/senior year worth of stuff. I just don't know at this point how exactly I am going to accomplish that.

I earned credits through CLEP, correspondance courses and classroom time. Being that I was not at sea or anything, when we were not in the field training, I would attend University of Maryland courses on base at night and on the weekends.

One thing to keep in mind about CLEP tests, some schools require that you score higher than others schools before they will accept them. Also, you will be given some credits for your military service and skills.

thank you all

and no, there's no chance in hell i'm reenlisting.. my ass needs to get back to school and make good on the second chance my country's given me

NATO AIR said:
thank you all

and no, there's no chance in hell i'm reenlisting.. my ass needs to get back to school and make good on the second chance my country's given me

Never say never. That second chance sounds like it allowed you to do some good already.

Anyway. Here's how we got Marines spun up.

First go to Base Education next time you are in port. Take every CLEP test you can get your hands on.

NEXT check out the SOC link you got earlier.

At Base ED. Check out the DANTES program. This is the Books in a Bag deal. There is also an online version I believe. Get with Base Ed and they will point you in the right direction.

What you are looking to do is get all the General Education Stuff out of the way. You really don't want to affiliate with an institution until you are ready to specialize. That is due to some places won't take others credits. We found that the more CLEP and DANTES stuff you had, the more MCI Courses, etc. the more the registrar would exercise discretion.

Go to the Base ED.

Notice a trend here? BTW, if reenlistment just isn't an option, you should really consider a place in the reserves. No sense letting go of all your skills just when you are getting good is there. Besides, Right now and continuing in the Reserves you are well within the MGIB correct? Just a thought.

pegwinn said:
Never say never. That second chance sounds like it allowed you to do some good already.

Anyway. Here's how we got Marines spun up.

First go to Base Education next time you are in port. Take every CLEP test you can get your hands on.

NEXT check out the SOC link you got earlier.

At Base ED. Check out the DANTES program. This is the Books in a Bag deal. There is also an online version I believe. Get with Base Ed and they will point you in the right direction.

What you are looking to do is get all the General Education Stuff out of the way. You really don't want to affiliate with an institution until you are ready to specialize. That is due to some places won't take others credits. We found that the more CLEP and DANTES stuff you had, the more MCI Courses, etc. the more the registrar would exercise discretion.

Go to the Base ED.

Notice a trend here? BTW, if reenlistment just isn't an option, you should really consider a place in the reserves. No sense letting go of all your skills just when you are getting good is there. Besides, Right now and continuing in the Reserves you are well within the MGIB correct? Just a thought.

Thank you Pegwinn, I've thought about the reserves, and will continue to do so. I ordered a few CLEP study books and will get working on those as soon as they come in, then take some CLEP tests. Thanks a lot for the information, it will do a world of good for this sailor and any in the future who ask him about this.

(I bought into the extended MGIB, where for an extra 600 bucks you give to them they add more onto your MGIB to use when you get out)

I went in the evenings. Also A lot of your training and schools from the military can be used as coliege credits so you won't have to go as long, You could finish a four year course in three years. In choosing a college after you get out look at which ones accept more military credits.

Forum List

Back