Going overboard protecting the accused?

There are ways to get out of jury duty, if there's hardship involved. Regardless of whether they're sequestered or not, they still wouldn't be working. Being influenced by the media seems like a small point, until you happen to be the one they're talking about. Just because someone was arrested, doesn't automatically mean they're guilty, so they deserve a fair shake. It's a rotten system, I know, but it's the best we've got.(Apologies to Curchill, I think :confused:)

How far does the "fair shake go"? American courts bend over backwards to insure that the accused get a fair shake. Does a "fair shake" extend to the good people who serve on the jury being in a virtual lockup for the length of time it takes for the trial? How can it not be a hardship to be bussed a hundred miles away from your family and held in isolation for almost half a year?

Well, I can't speak for everybody, but in my case, I'd consider it a vacation. :D

If you think you'd be better off locked up for three months you should consider rehab instead of jury duty.

How far does the "fair shake go"? American courts bend over backwards to insure that the accused get a fair shake. Does a "fair shake" extend to the good people who serve on the jury being in a virtual lockup for the length of time it takes for the trial? How can it not be a hardship to be bussed a hundred miles away from your family and held in isolation for almost half a year?

Well, I can't speak for everybody, but in my case, I'd consider it a vacation. :D

If you think you'd be better off locked up for three months you should consider rehab instead of jury duty.

:lol: you haven't been paying attention. I have two special needs kids, one, 23 years old, incontinent and always in trouble. I'm 54 and have medical problems. It's difficult to keep after him, and he's stronger than me. Rehab, no, perhaps a loony bin?

:lol: you haven't been paying attention. I have two special needs kids, one, 23 years old, incontinent and always in trouble. I'm 54 and have medical problems. It's difficult to keep after him, and he's stronger than me. Rehab, no, perhaps a loony bin?

Maybe you need to find another forum instead of giving trite sarcastic answers to important issues. Sequestered jury duty is not the answer to a pathetic life. Maybe counseling.

Maybe you need to find another forum instead of giving trite sarcastic answers to important issues. Sequestered jury duty is not the answer to a pathetic life. Maybe counseling.

Maybe you need to get a sense of humor.....

It's time we had professional juries. The last thing i would want is some idiots in my town passing judgment on me.

I cannot agree more with the idea of only allowing well educated and carefully screened professionals act as jurers, but the Contitution garantees that the acused has a right to be judged by his peers. Maybe each acused should have the option of having either an ordinary jury put together at random, or a group of trained law professionals call the judgement.​

We already have about a million trained law professionals chasing ambulances and lying to clients about big bucks that can be made from slipping on the ice. Would you want law school dropouts determining your fate? That's what you would get with professional jurors. It's unconstitutional anyway so it's a moot point. We need to trust the good people on juries to do the right thing despite media hype that they had been listening to all their lives. Do away with sequestered juries and sequester the judges.

Maybe you need to get a sense of humor.....

I apologize sheila. I shouldn't have spoken to you that way.

It's time we had professional juries. The last thing i would want is some idiots in my town passing judgment on me.

It has been said that if you go to court and have a jury trial, your fate is going to be decided by 12 people who are all too stupid to get out of jury duty.

I don't agree with that, but it seems an appropriate tag to your post here.

Forum List

Back