Going out of the grid

I am fortunate enough to have open access to a 120 year old family cabin that sits on 600 acres surrounded on three sides by a state park and a wildlife reserve. I go as often as I can, and it is a glimpse of what it would be like to live off the grid in the wilderness. I’ll just say this, you will spend a hell of a lot of time cutting and splitting wood just to heat your cabin and cook your food.
I definitely understand that. Thanks for your reply. Do you have solar? And if so, how much does it cover?

No solar. We are not off the grid, but when we are there in the winter we keep a fire in the stove to heat because the electric heat is so expensive.

I've always dreamed of moving out of the city, and building/buying a log cabin in the woods in the north, and living off the grid. Would definitely need solar panels and many other amenities. Including internet.

Otherwise, it would be kind of like living a hermit life, outside of going out for necessities. Like toilet paper.

But the rest, like hunting, fishing, foraging, I can do on my own. Does this appeal to anybody? It's very appealing to me.

It's not that I don't like people, I just like being a lone wolf. Just wondering if I'm crazy or not... :)

Hunting, fishing and foraging for food sounds awesome, just be sure you get store bought food to. The above met loads not very reliable ways to feed ones self. If I did it it would have to be in a warm place and I mean year round. I hate the cold.

It'd be pretty easy to live off the land we fish on.
6000 acres of bottomland full of hardwoods,squirrels,deer,hogs,rabbits,fish,alligators and all manner of edible plants.
Get yourself a couple dozen rat traps for squirrels and a couple of dozen yo yo's,some steel jaw traps and that frees you up to forage for edible plants.
You may be eating a steady diet of possum but you wouldnt go hungry.
Sounds like an ideal place to put an apiary or three.

There are a few black bear in the area which might make that problematic.
There are relatively inexpensive fencing systems the provide enough of an electric jolt to dissuade the bear without causing any permanent harm.

Forum List

Back