Goin' Postal over Ad...

flacaltenn

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2011
Hillbilly Hollywood, Tenn
"Not a Single Cent"..

That's the claim of the Postal Worker's Union that drove ME postal over the weekend. No taxpayer money at all.. No -huh..

Deceptive advertising?? Yup It certainly exists...

((Don't bother with the link to the Ad in the article quote below.. Use the YouTube link I provided below..))

Postal worker union’s TV ads false and misleading, say lawmakers « Unions « Back to Basics

This week the union that represents workers with the U.S. Postal Service began their latest public relations campaign with a television spot that boasts the nation’s mail service receives no money from taxpayers. The TV ad is being aired on stations such as the Fox News Channel.

Oversight and Government Reform Committee Chairman Darrell Issa R-CA) in a letter to the American Postal Worker Union (APWU) asked the union to cancel its misleading ad campaign that falsely claims the United States Postal Service (USPS) does not receive taxpayer support when it does, in fact, receive hundreds of millions of dollars of taxpayer money through preferential tax treatment and other benefits.

Here's the quick link to the ad..

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lX_WasAnDcM&feature=player_embedded]‪APWU TV Ad‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

Seems like this will go perfectly with the Barney Frank claim that Freddy/Fannie "won't cost the taxpayers a nickel" and the Tax Cheat Geitner claim that "there is NO chance of a credit downgrade"..

How come the lefties in charge are so wrong on everything economics?

Oversight and Government Reform Committee Chairman Darrell Issa R-CA) in a letter to the American Postal Worker Union (APWU) asked the union to cancel its misleading ad campaign that falsely claims the United States Postal Service (USPS) does not receive taxpayer support when it does, in fact, receive hundreds of millions of dollars of taxpayer money through preferential tax treatment and other benefits.

Isn't preferential tax treatment how GE made $39 Billion last year and didn't pay any taxes?

Yeah -- Exactly --- but they didn't take an ad and DENY the subsidies..

In fact -- GE was quite willing to be green as tree frog as long as they got $150 for every washer/dryer that they sell...

Straw man argument. No one is saying only GE dodged paying taxes due to preferential treatment.

Seems like this will go perfectly with the Barney Frank claim that Freddy/Fannie "won't cost the taxpayers a nickel" and the Tax Cheat Geitner claim that "there is NO chance of a credit downgrade"..

How come the lefties in charge are so wrong on everything economics?

Because the current crop has never done anything in their entire lives.

I wouldn't expect union stooges to realize that the USPS $8.5 BILLION 2010 budget shortfall means they spent $8.5 billion more than they took in selling stamps and whatnot.

Wow...that is such a lie that had I seen this myself I would have thought it was a fake commercial.
What complete ignoramus marketing firm did this thing? What PR firm would allow such a lie?

"Not a Single Cent"..

That's the claim of the Postal Worker's Union that drove ME postal over the weekend. No taxpayer money at all.. No -huh..

((Don't bother with the link to the Ad in the article quote below.. Use the YouTube link I provided below..))

Postal worker union’s TV ads false and misleading, say lawmakers « Unions « Back to Basics

This week the union that represents workers with the U.S. Postal Service began their latest public relations campaign with a television spot that boasts the nation’s mail service receives no money from taxpayers. The TV ad is being aired on stations such as the Fox News Channel.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lX_WasAnDcM&feature=player_embedded]‪APWU TV Ad‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

Welcome to the reality of mainstream media the biggest propaganda campaign in history. This time next year if this ad continues to run than half the population will fight you if you say the USPS receive taxpayer money. This has been going on a long time, and it's how they sway popular opinion.

Hmmmm..........

The Modern Postal Service: Agency or Business?
Until adoption of the Postal Reorganization Act of 1970, the U.S. Postal Service functioned as a regular, tax-supported, agency of the federal government.

According to the laws under which it now operates, the U.S. Postal Service is a semi-independent federal agency, mandated to be revenue-neutral. That is, it is supposed to break even, not make a profit.

In 1982, U.S. postage stamps became "postal products," rather than a form of taxation. Since then, The bulk of the cost of operating the postal system has been paid for by customers through the sale of "postal products" and services rather than taxes.

Each class of mail is also expected to cover its share of the costs, a requirement that causes the percentage rate adjustments to vary in different classes of mail, according the costs associated with the processing and delivery characteristics of each class.

The United States Postal Service (USPS). Is it government agency or a private business? It's both.

Oh my god everybody quick... HATE POSTMEN!

They're obviously parasitic collectivists!

Seriously, how nuts this society has become in the last couple decades.

"Not a Single Cent"..

In 1971, the “Post Office Department” was turned into a quasi-governmental corporation, the US Postal Service, which has a federally mandated monopoly on regular mail delivery. The majority of the USPS board are presidential appointees. There are no government appropriations, and a ‘Postal Rate Commission’ that determines rates. In the ‘70’s the USPS tried to close 12,000 underperforming or underutilized post offices, but politicians amended the Postal Reorganization Act to prohibit the closings. In ’77 the same thing happened when the USPS tried to suspend Saturday delivery. The result lost $2.8 billion in ’08 and expects to lose another $3 to $6 billion in 2009.Who will ultimately be responsible for paying these debts? The taxpayer. Such is it when government masquerades as free market entities.http://jcrw.us/system/files/ruth/pdf/Glen Beck Arguing with Idiots.pdf

That doesn't excuse the blatant misrepresentation in that commercial.

How does it help honest hard working posties to be so dishonest?

Wow...that is such a lie that had I seen this myself I would have thought it was a fake commercial.
What complete ignoramus marketing firm did this thing? What PR firm would allow such a lie?

It really was surreal to get hit in the face with that. We're in a new era of Orwell here. And obviously, you can expect more of this blatant propaganda as we start the horse race... er'' election...

Didn't start the thread because I hate postmen/women. I started it because of the magnitude of the MISREPRESENTATION. I don't even get the end game here.

Is this a bid from the postal union to get Federal help negotiating their next contract? What was there to gain from this lie?

I fear it's the obvious advertising ploy of "pretending your weakness is your strength" and we're about to be asked to bail out the Union pension fund or something..

"more bars in more places" -- if your network reception really stinks kinda deal..

Last edited:

Forum List

Back