God, religion, Science and a Post-Modern View of Science

Intelligent design properly understood is a theological/philosophical theory that can not ever be proven by science, almost by definition. While one can argue what is the most plausible explanation, one cannot validly assert that any organization found in nature is by intelligent design rather than an evoloved complexity, as I understand it.

Tell that to the Intelligent Design proponents who want it taught as an equivalent theory to evolution.

and the thing most conservative 'deniers' deny about AGW is that human activity is the principle driving factor. Obviously the Earth warmed from the la 1700's to 1998. But now even the Met agress the last twelve years or more has seen a cooling of temperatures.

Does it matter? They still reject the scientific consensus hat in hand. When the laymen are telling the professionals they are wrong, you expect the professionals to teach the laymen?

Why waste their time?

While some 'religion' can be confirmed or denied by science, such as archeological digs often do, the most conflicting claims by typical religions is a claim to a miraculous event of some sort. If science could prove said event, then by definition it cannot be miraculous.

I agree. So why do people insist on juxtaposing the two?

Why is one groups willful ignorance the fault of the educated? A layperson could spend their entire life browsing scientific resources and teaching themselves.

The materials are there. What is lacking is the will.

That is not the fault of the scientific establishment.

Lack of helping does not equate to fault, go2.

If one can get past the elitism, condescension and god-complex, most science gurus are pretty human.

Most scientists are tired of tossing their pearls before swine who have no interest in the pursuit of knowledge and instead want to pursue their own agendas.

Ah, a quote of Jesus regarding those who reject the Gospel.

So you think science is an unquestionable set of aphorisms and axioms delivered by priests from a deity? Obviously no, you dont, but comparing science to the Gospel Christ died for might lead one to think you do.

I don't like Dawkins, but the reason he doesn't give an audience to creationists is because they have (time and again) proven to be dishonest in their intent. Look at what happened to him during "Expelled" if you doubt it.

I dont know Dawkins, personally. He seems friendly enough, though he does make this leap from science to therefore in religion and philosophy we can deduce...blah, blah blah about the existance of God. Once a scientists leaves the realm of his specialty he is just giving an opinion and nothing more.

As I said, all the information is there for the truly curious. It's not the job of the professionals to lead a horse to a trough.

But I thought you said they have been leading horses for some time now?

Seriously, as a Christian who agrees with evolution, I promise you that two thirds of the time when I say anything about evolution the secularists simply assume that I am attacking evolution when I am not.

This is nothing more than primitive prejudice against the unwashed outsiders, for that is what it is when most educated Christians around the world accept evolution to some degree but secularists still make sweepoing statemetns about all the stupid Christians that dont believe in evolution, lolol.

But today in our post-Christian, post-Modern society, the public is returning to a black-box view of science. Unable to understand any of it themselves, and not encouraged to even try by a growing number of scientists, more and more common is this view that science is just another form of faith system, but instead of priests or shamen, we have men in white coats who call themselves scientists and who are presumed to be oracles of Truth purely on a circular set of assumptions. Lacking this understanding the public is prey to all sorts of charlatans posing as scientists or doctors selling all sorts of snake oil.

How does the right even come up with this bullshit. I'm astounded.

That is one of the dumbest comments made so far.

Which part is bullshit? The part about post-modernism? That is pretty much a fact of the public domain, dude.

The part about people not understanding science and treat it like some secular kind of religion? That too is a FACT whether you can grasp it or not.

And there are plenty of examples of scientists speaking on authority with little explanation for their decrees that we just have to accept, like Mann's hockey Stick chart and the constantly changing record of adjusted global temperatures that Hansen at NASA is putting out.

Jeez, Louise, I dont mean to upset you so much by trying to talk about something that requires a little reflection instead of reflexive insults and distortions.

It would be easier to ask, "Which part ISN'T bullshit?"

Intelligent design properly understood is a theological/philosophical theory that can not ever be proven by science, almost by definition. While one can argue what is the most plausible explanation, one cannot validly assert that any organization found in nature is by intelligent design rather than an evoloved complexity, as I understand it.

Tell that to the Intelligent Design proponents who want it taught as an equivalent theory to evolution.

Lol, one can tell them but they wont listen. The Catholic church has done fairly well in this aren, IMO, as do the Eastern Orthodox and Main Stream Protestants. Its mostly a fundamentalist/evangelic nit they pick.

and the thing most conservative 'deniers' deny about AGW is that human activity is the principle driving factor. Obviously the Earth warmed from the la 1700's to 1998. But now even the Met agress the last twelve years or more has seen a cooling of temperatures.

Does it matter? They still reject the scientific consensus hat in hand. When the laymen are telling the professionals they are wrong, you expect the professionals to teach the laymen?

Why waste their time?

Because every once in a while the experts ARE wrong. The experts got it wrong about Platonic models ofthe universe, thetheory of the eather that exists between planets, the rejection of continental drift and the discovery of Troy. Truth is independent from human pecking orders.

I dont care how many sheepskins hang on your wall or how many phuds you can lay claim to; if you cant make the case with facts and reason, appeals to authority are of no use and certainly not science, right?.

While some 'religion' can be confirmed or denied by science, such as archeological digs often do, the most conflicting claims by typical religions is a claim to a miraculous event of some sort. If science could prove said event, then by definition it cannot be miraculous.

I agree. So why do people insist on juxtaposing the two?

I dont know, but I suspect it is caused in part by the medias preference to bring viewers controversy and emotionalism, and not sober reason and discussion.

But then again, I am no expert, so what do I know?

lol

How does the right even come up with this bullshit. I'm astounded.

That is one of the dumbest comments made so far.

Which part is bullshit? The part about post-modernism? That is pretty much a fact of the public domain, dude.

The part about people not understanding science and treat it like some secular kind of religion? That too is a FACT whether you can grasp it or not.

And there are plenty of examples of scientists speaking on authority with little explanation for their decrees that we just have to accept, like Mann's hockey Stick chart and the constantly changing record of adjusted global temperatures that Hansen at NASA is putting out.

Jeez, Louise, I dont mean to upset you so much by trying to talk about something that requires a little reflection instead of reflexive insults and distortions.

It would be easier to ask, "Which part ISN'T bullshit?"

Really lame dodge there.

Try to answer the question and stop whining, OK?

Or else just shut the fuck up and blow away, why dont you, and stop trolling this thread with your assinine emotionalism.

JimBowie is not a philosopher of science, period. His arguments are nonsense and dismissed.

Post-Modern View of Science?

Is that like "Back to the Future"?

No, doofus, it's like this:
Postmodernism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In its most basic form, postmodernism is an intentional departure from the previously dominant modernist approaches such as scientific positivism, realism, constructivism, formalism, metaphysics and so forth. In a sense, the "postmodernist" approach continues the critique of the Enlightenment legacy, fundamentally seeking to challenge the traditional practices and intellectual pillars of western civilization just as the Enlightenment challenged tradition, theology and the authority of religion before it.

Postmodernism postulates that many, if not all, apparent realities are only social constructs and are therefore subject to change. It emphasises the role of language, power relations, and motivations in the formation of ideas and beliefs. In particular it attacks the use of sharp binary classifications such as male versus female, straight versus gay, white versus black, and imperial versus colonial; it holds realities to be plural and relative, and to be dependent on who the interested parties are and the nature of these interests. It claims that there is no absolute truth and that the way people perceive the world is subjective.

Criticism of postmodernism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The term postmodernism, when used pejoratively, describes tendencies perceived as relativist, counter-enlightenment or antimodern, particularly in relation to critiques of rationalism, universalism or science.

Of course, dont let any facts get in the way of your rantings, lol.

This piece is so logically flawed it is hard to know where to start or even to start. Did science exist before the rise of the Judeo-Christian worldview, if it did you need to show that. Science is a process that presents conjectures about things and then tests whether the conjecture makes sense, refining it through tests and observation, does the idea work or doesn't it work. Religion is something much different and I doubt any genuine scientist uses 'revelation' to find the truth. That would be contrary to the scientific method. Why do we need to rebuff the idea that science and religion are incompatible? Why not leave them as is and accept that faith is not science as it beliefs are not subject to the scientific method?

"When thinking changes your mind, that's philosophy.
When God changes your mind, that's faith.
When facts change your mind, that's science." from edge.org

JimBowie is not a philosopher of science, period.

Nor do I have to be, lol

His arguments are nonsense and dismissed.

OMG, like you have any authority to say my arguments are valid or not or if they are dismissed.

lololol, you are such a jack ass its infuckingcredible.

I simply imitate how you act here, and you go stupid. :lol: You simply cannot offer the evidence to carry your argument minimally. Yeah, your OP is fail.

The humiliating issue for JimBowie is that this entire argument reveals him to be a parrot, nothing else.

You simply cannot offer the evidence to carry your argument minimally. Yeah, your OP is fail.

You dont even know what myargument is, fruitcake, so how can you evaluate it as a fail?

You're just a troll and not a very good one at that because you are also just plain ole dumb as a sack of hammers.

JimBowie ad homs and name calls and spins on his head because he does not grasp the concepts of post-modernism and the philsophy of science. OP is fail.

It's Great that islam is the ONLY religion that doesn't contradict science by any means.

It's a fact that till revelation till today, NO ONE can PROVE such a contradiction. Islam enemies throughout the history tried, but.. guess what ?

JimBowie ad homs and name calls and spins on his head because he does not grasp the concepts of post-modernism and the philsophy of science. OP is fail.

Lol, so what concepts of post-modernism have I misrepresented?

I do not pretend to be an expert of any sort. I am just trying to understand these things, in part because I am obsessive, in part because I hate to be wrong, so I take my beliefs where I think the best evidence and reason is found. Also I get a kick out of the feeling one gets when one first grasps a profound idea, a previously unknown relationship between seemingly unrelated events, or a new way to use an old idea, that sort of thing.

That is why I posted the OP and it was looking kind of hopeful, till you and a couple of other poop-flinging asswipes jumped in and fucked everything up with your predictable, boring dumbshit comments.

lol, you truly are a clown.

But please, explain to me what I got wrong because if you successsfully do so, I will have learned something new and gone away with a good feeling of having learned something.

Yeah, I dont mind learning things even from dumbasses like you.

Learning is all that really matters, and I dont have an ego getting in my way, twatface.

Science is a philosophy? Is that because it can be imagined and you don't need "facts"? Oh, wait, that's the occult, not science.

This piece is so logically flawed it is hard to know where to start or even to start.

Well, please give it a shot as I would be quite happy to read what you have to say, beyond what you have posted here.

Did science exist before the rise of the Judeo-Christian worldview, if it did you need to show that.

Not modern science, meaning the scientific process with formal peer-review. The transition from pseuod-sciences like astrology, alchemy and other accumulated bodies of knowledge drawn mostly from experience transitioned into astronomy, chemistry, etc as they applied the scientific method and peer review.

Judaism probably dates from about 1200 BC or so, while modern science came about either with Socrates, or even later with the beginning of the modern age.

Science is a process that presents conjectures about things and then tests whether the conjecture makes sense, refining it through tests and observation, does the idea work or doesn't it work.

While I agree that is a rational method, I dont think it is science in the modern sense.

Religion is something much different and I doubt any genuine scientist uses 'revelation' to find the truth.

A scientist can use religion to find Truth but not a knid of Truth that is subject to scientific testing. 'God spoke and there was light' is a miracle but the Big Bang is not. They do not contradict each other but compliment each other in paralel spheres of knowledge.

That would be contrary to the scientific method.

I dont think so unless the scientist tried to present the religious/revealed Truth as a scientific theory. I think that is the fundamental error of many of the Intelligent Design proponents in that they are trying to make theological axioms/revelation into scientific theory, and that is a misuse of revelation, IMO.

Why do we need to rebuff the idea that science and religion are incompatible?

Because they are not incompatible?

Why not leave them as is and accept that faith is not science as it beliefs are not subject to the scientific method?

They are paralel to each other, not contradictory and one should not intrude on the other.

A theologian has no more business descussing the best scientific theories than a scientist has in declaring that there is no evidence for the existance of God.

"When thinking changes your mind, that's philosophy.
When God changes your mind, that's faith.
When facts change your mind, that's science." from edge.org

Simple, but I essentially agree with it. One does or should use thinking when engaging in scientific inquiry or theological inquiry.

Forum List

Back