God or Conscience?

Would you step off a cliff if God told you to? Would you marry a woman or man you didn't love?

Human beings are unique in that they possess a consciousness - we are able to use our senses to collect information in our environment, measure them up against our goals, and choose an action correspondingly.

Humans posses the power of reason. It's man's only tool of knowledge acquisition. It's simply man's nature.

God violates that very nature. Faith, by definition, is accepting something without evidence. By taking something on faith, you do violence to your most important faculty - your mind.

Those examples are not within God's character. Believing in God comes with freewill but these are discussions that a non believer has not the capacity to understand.

You may use any example you wish. Let's use the 5th Commandment, shall we? Remember the Sabbath and keep it holy. If I have a wife and children to care for and feed, I'm going to work on the Sabbath. By not taking a job or refusing to work on the Sabbath in the face of other facts like the wellbeing of my family, I would gladly violate one of the 10 Commandments.

Any actionable principle derived from faith violates human nature, for reasons I mentioned before.

Moreover, I find it an intellectual cop-out to claim that because I accept nothing on faith and do not subscribe to your religious views somehow means I lack some sort of "capacity" to "understand" this discussion. Your statement sounds more akin to an ad-hominem jab in a vague attempt to discredit my statements.

Care, God doesn't try to make people do people as he orders? What about the threat of the lake of fire?

That's like saying I didn't make you suck my dick and give me all the money in your purse- I just put a gun to your head and told you I'd kill you if you didn't.

The threat of the lake of fire, from what I saw on a History Channel special, was primarily "man made".....

Absence from God, IS the eternal pain.

Care, God doesn't try to make people do people as he orders? What about the threat of the lake of fire?

That's like saying I didn't make you suck my dick and give me all the money in your purse- I just put a gun to your head and told you I'd kill you if you didn't.

The threat of the lake of fire, from what I saw on a History Channel special, was primarily "man made".....
Don't you think you're being a bit selective?

No, I don't. Unlike others, I think the Bible has been manipulated....Christ warned us about changing the words of the Bible and also on leaving words out of the Bible in the Book of Revelation and told us our fate if this happened....and frankly, I don't bel;ieve that Christ would have done such IF he hadn't have known that manipulation was going to take place.

Jews do not believe in Hell, described by Dante....I ask myself, Why is that...? Us Christians were grafted in to their tree....you would think we would be on the same page as them, regarding this topic....??

bottom line, I don't know one way or the other....I guess we will see when the end comes.

No, I don't. Unlike others, I think the Bible has been manipulated....Christ warned us about changing the words of the Bible and also on leaving words out of the Bible in the Book of Revelation and told us our fate if this happened....and frankly, I don't bel;ieve that Christ would have done such IF he hadn't have known that manipulation was going to take place.

Jews do not believe in Hell, described by Dante....I ask myself, Why is that...? Us Christians were grafted in to their tree....you would think we would be on the same page as them, regarding this topic....??

bottom line, I don't know one way or the other....I guess we will see when the end comes.

Who said anything about Dante?

...if We learn to put God first in all things...

If your God demands something that goes against your conscience, which do you follow and why? Do you do what is right in your heart and risk God's wrath, or do you obey in order to receive reward, you conscience be damned?

What's he ever done for me?

Is it maybe possible to establish a humanoid relationship with all that is unknown until we finally understand that the answer to everything is 42 ?

Are you referring to 'Known Unknowns' or 'Unknown Unknowns'?

Has the Bible been manipulated Care? Or is it a question of the many translations?

it could have been....I wouldn't doubt it, since Christ warned us about it...

but a great deal could be interpretation and lack of understanding of the true meanings....

The whole time Christ was on Earth ministering, He continually was reprimanding and correcting what the Jews among Him thought about the Law....

The Good Samaritan story, where the religious Levite and Priest walked past the left for dead Samaritan man....they thought they were following the Law....but noooo, christ showed that they were NOT.

those that refused to heal the sick on the Sabbath that accused Jesus of being Beelzebub for doing such....

those that tried to stone the adulterous woman, but Christ did not agree....those that were ready to stone her, thought it was the Law....

There are soooooooooo, many situations where Christ SHOWED that their interpretation of the Law was simply WRONG.

Would you step off a cliff if God told you to? Would you marry a woman or man you didn't love?

Human beings are unique in that they possess a consciousness - we are able to use our senses to collect information in our environment, measure them up against our goals, and choose an action correspondingly.

Humans posses the power of reason. It's man's only tool of knowledge acquisition. It's simply man's nature.

God violates that very nature. Faith, by definition, is accepting something without evidence. By taking something on faith, you do violence to your most important faculty - your mind.

Those examples are not within God's character. Believing in God comes with freewill but these are discussions that a non believer has not the capacity to understand.

You may use any example you wish. Let's use the 5th Commandment, shall we? Remember the Sabbath and keep it holy. If I have a wife and children to care for and feed, I'm going to work on the Sabbath. By not taking a job or refusing to work on the Sabbath in the face of other facts like the wellbeing of my family, I would gladly violate one of the 10 Commandments.

Any actionable principle derived from faith violates human nature, for reasons I mentioned before.

Moreover, I find it an intellectual cop-out to claim that because I accept nothing on faith and do not subscribe to your religious views somehow means I lack some sort of "capacity" to "understand" this discussion. Your statement sounds more akin to an ad-hominem jab in a vague attempt to discredit my statements.

Don't see how you feel "attacked". If you are not a believer and have not studied the word of God, how can you feel, by sheer observation, that you know anything about the Christian walk? If i am not a member of something that goes by specific guidelines, I don't expect to know how that religion, club or etc operates. It amazes me why a non believer even cares what a Christian believes. Why are some so absolutely bothered by what others believe?

Forum List

Back