God is in Control?

USViking said:
Why is it His fault He created a world containing such things as smallpox bacilla, (which have been eradicated solely by human effort) just to mention one scourge of hundreds, which have killed and mutilated hundreds of millions of innocent people?

If He is omnipotent and omnicient, HOW could it NOT be His fault?

And even if He is not omnipotent and omnicient, He should have the power to do something, yet He does nothing.

Bacteria is a by-product of creation...did not God give us intelligence to eradicate it?

-Cp said:
How come it is... when good things happen to Christians they say "It's because God is In Control!" - as if he directly caused that good thing to happen.... However... when bad things happen they'd never say God directed it to happen - instead they allege that "God Allowed it to happen" ..

I'm sorry, but I don't think you can have it both ways..

Either God is in complete control of everything - good or bad - or he isn't and he's allowing things in this world to happen...

Actually, there are three choices.

1. God controls everything, and absolutely nothing happens outside of His will.

2. God cannot control the happenings of the world.

3. God voluntarily relinquishes control of some things, while retaining control of others.

I think #3 is both scripturally sound and fits the world as we observe it.

gop_jeff said:
Actually, there are three choices.

1. God controls everything, and absolutely nothing happens outside of His will.

2. God cannot control the happenings of the world.

3. God voluntarily relinquishes control of some things, while retaining control of others.

I think #3 is both scripturally sound and fits the world as we observe it.

I think people are hung up with the "control" word.

If you looked at it as ....God "allows", then it makes more sense.

God allows us to make choices. With His teachings, He has shown us the right choices.

But it is up to us.

GotZoom said:
I think people are hung up with the "control" word.

If you looked at it as ....God "allows", then it makes more sense.

God allows us to make choices. With His teachings, He has shown us the right choices.

But it is up to us.

Biblical backings for your way of thinking?

-Cp said:
Biblical backings for your way of thinking?

Probably. I couldn't recite you chapter and verse though.

I was brought up Protestant. Went to a Christian High School (with Southern Baptist base).

This is what I can recall from those days. Have attended Church with friends and hear the same basic premise. Our choice to accept Him. Bible is a blueprint of how we should try to live. If we fall, ask for forgiveness, do the best we can.

We have the choice each day to live a certain way. Follow his teachings or not. If we truly believe and accept him, then we will try to live by those teachings.

If you are married, and another person (male/female) throws themselves at you, you have a choice to jump in and romp or to walk away. God didn't make you walk away or romp with them. Some would say that God didnt' throw that person in front of you; the devil did. Others would say why did God allow Satan to throw that person in front of you. Depends on what you believe.

You have a choice, based on your beliefs in His word, to walk or to romp.

You said this in another post:

"I believe has passively watches the world which he set into motion at the time of Creation - and gave MANKIND control of its ultimate destiny - which we all know is sin...."

Isn't his giving us choice the same as giving "MANKIND control of it's ultimate destiny?"

My choices control my destiny.

GotZoom said:
Probably. I couldn't recite you chapter and verse though.

I was brought up Protestant. Went to a Christian High School (with Southern Baptist base).

This is what I can recall from those days. Have attended Church with friends and hear the same basic premise. Our choice to accept Him. Bible is a blueprint of how we should try to live. If we fall, ask for forgiveness, do the best we can.

We have the choice each day to live a certain way. Follow his teachings or not. If we truly believe and accept him, then we will try to live by those teachings.

If you are married, and another person (male/female) throws themselves at you, you have a choice to jump in and romp or to walk away. God didn't make you walk away or romp with them. Some would say that God didnt' throw that person in front of you; the devil did. Others would say why did God allow Satan to throw that person in front of you. Depends on what you believe.

You have a choice, based on your beliefs in His word, to walk or to romp.

You said this in another post:

"I believe has passively watches the world which he set into motion at the time of Creation - and gave MANKIND control of its ultimate destiny - which we all know is sin...."

Isn't his giving us choice the same as giving "MANKIND control of it's ultimate destiny?"

My choices control my destiny.

Let's take this over to the "Free Will" thread...

If God controlled everything it would be impossible to sin. Sin is simply going against the Will of God, therefore if you had no free will and only did as God chose to make you act you could never sin...

This sounds like more of an argument to allow oneself to do whatever they wish using God as a scapegoat than any real attempt to describe how one believes in God.

no1tovote4 said:
If God controlled everything it would be impossible to sin. Sin is simply going against the Will of God, therefore if you had no free will and only did as God chose to make you act you could never sin...

This sounds like more of an argument to allow oneself to do whatever they wish using God as a scapegoat than any real attempt to describe how one believes in God.

Again... Let's take this over to the "Free Will" thread...

http://www.usmessageboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22669

Hobbit said:
God is an active God and actively controls the world. However, God also gave us free will and there are consequences for every action, and while God sometimes intervenes on our behalf, part of free will is suffering your own consequences.

I once heard a minister talking about a horrible bus wreck he was in that put the preacher of what was then his ministry group in a month-long coma. It was a year before they were all healed up. When asked, "Why do you think God let that wreck happen?" he replies, "Because our driver fell asleep."

SO how do we know what's god's doing and what is just human doing? If were going to talk theology

manu1959 said:
god set things in motion we are responsible for the results

That's the most intelligent thing I've seen you post.. .:D

Forum List

Back