God is almost omnipotent. He has many limits.

Did Adam and Eve have belly buttons? Can God create a rock so big he can't lift it?

I don't know but you might wonder why he gave men nipples.
Now that is really intelligent design. :eusa_whistle::eusa_whistle:

Regards
DL

If there is a God and all of those things you claim are true it would be because God chooses not to not because God is not able too. It would really speak more to your brains inability to comprehend such scenarios. It is okay though, i'm sure there are many, less complicated, things your brain can't comprehend.

If even one is true then Christians lie when they name God omnipotent.

Thanks for your swollen headed response though.
It shows your true Christian upbringing. :cuckoo: :cuckoo:

Regards
DL

Yet you wouldn't be able to understand what omnipotent is, nor can any of us. It's just a word, flawed in translation. Everything you mentioned, the supposed idea of God CAN do, if it so chooses. I don't understand how you can't understand that. :cuckoo::cuckoo:

Omnipotent is defined in part as having power or authority without limits IOW, almighty.

Seems to me that God has a few limits.

He cannot reproduce true.
He cannot enjoy sex.
He cannot reproduce without bestiality or cross species breeding.
He can only reproduce half breed chimeras like Jesus.
He could not create a heaven without Satan.
He could not create Eden without evil in it.
He cannot control wayward demons or devils.
He cannot sin, although scripture says he does.
He cannot live without needs like adoration, honour, obedience, love.
He cannot accept a soul into heaven without us accepting Jesus and human sacrifice.
He could not forgive sin without having Jesus sacrificed.
Feel free to add to this list.

How then can Christians say that God omnipotent, all-powerful and without limits when he clearly has many?

Regards
DL

What a very strange creature you are.

If there is a God and all of those things you claim are true it would be because God chooses not to not because God is not able too. It would really speak more to your brains inability to comprehend such scenarios. It is okay though, i'm sure there are many, less complicated, things your brain can't comprehend.

Regards
DL

Yet you wouldn't be able to understand what omnipotent is, nor can any of us. It's just a word, flawed in translation. Everything you mentioned, the supposed idea of God CAN do, if it so chooses. I don't understand how you can't understand that. :cuckoo::cuckoo:

Those who can, do.
Those who cannot, do not.

Show where your God has done what you say he can.

Proof of any braggart is in the doing or at least the showing.

Regards
DL

Omnipotent is defined in part as having power or authority without limits IOW, almighty.

Seems to me that God has a few limits.

He cannot reproduce true.
He cannot enjoy sex.
He cannot reproduce without bestiality or cross species breeding.
He can only reproduce half breed chimeras like Jesus.
He could not create a heaven without Satan.
He could not create Eden without evil in it.
He cannot control wayward demons or devils.
He cannot sin, although scripture says he does.
He cannot live without needs like adoration, honour, obedience, love.
He cannot accept a soul into heaven without us accepting Jesus and human sacrifice.
He could not forgive sin without having Jesus sacrificed.
Feel free to add to this list.

How then can Christians say that God omnipotent, all-powerful and without limits when he clearly has many?

Regards
DL

What a very strange creature you are.

Why?
Because I do not like to see good minds follow imaginary constructs and can actually think for myself without leafing through a book for an answer?

Regards
DL

All cultures have anthropomorphized their gods into humanoid (if sometimes grotesque) form. Were the Jews the exception? Hardly. We know precisely what the Hebrew god looked like. We are, after all, fashioned in his own likeness! "Yahweh", in fact, is an abbreviation of the longer name, "Yahweh Sabaoth." It means, "He who musters armies." Thus Yahweh's name identifies the god primarily as the military leader of the tribe.

"The Lord is a man of war; Yahweh is his name." – Exodus 15.3.

Yahweh was a man, no doubt looking remarkably like the bearded sage asking us to worship him.

If we believe the Bible, he has body parts: eyes and a face (‘they are not hid from my face, neither is their iniquity hid from mine eyes’ – Jeremiah 16.17); nose and a mouth (Psalms 18.8); lips, tongue and breath (Isaiah 30.27,33); loins (Ezekiel 1.27); even ‘back parts’ (Exodus 33.23). He also has several ‘human’ emotions, manly appetites, and a worrying disposition towards pathological violence.

Yahweh feels regret for his own evil (‘And God saw their works, that they turned from their evil way; and God repented of the evil, that he had said that he would do unto them; and he did it not.’ - Jonah 3.10); and grief (at the wickedness of men) (‘and it grieved him at his heart’ - (Genesis 6.6). He actually gets down and wrestles with Jacob, dislocating his thigh (Genesis 32.24). He forgets (he goes on calling Jacob ‘Jacob’ even after re-naming him ‘Israel’ - Genesis 35.10, 46.2). He practices favoritism (choosing the Israelites ‘above all people’ - Exodus 19.5; but he just does not like Cain or Esau!). He holds grudges (‘I the Lord your God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation’ – Exodus 20.5).

For an omniscient god he is surprisingly unknowing (‘They have set up kings, but not by me; they have made princes, and I knew it not.’ – Hosea 8.4). And for an omnipotent god he has his limitations (‘The Lord was with Judah; and he drove out the inhabitants of the mountain; but could not drive out the inhabitants of the valley because they had chariots of iron.’ - Judges 1.19).

And after his creation of the world, he even has to rest from his labor (‘And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work’ - Genesis 2.2) – to the endless bemusement of pagan critics, whose own gods didn’t need to rest!

The most disturbing aspect of Yahweh’s humanoid personality, however, is his blood-lust. The smell of burning flesh is a ‘sweet savor unto the lord’ – so sweet, in fact, that the phrase appears in the Old Testament no fewer than twenty-three times. The butchery demanded by god is truly monumental. Believers are required to sacrifice two lambs day-by-day continuously – and that’s just for starters! Just as well Yahweh had several thousand priests to help him trough through the banquet!

Livestock bears the brunt of god’s appetite but humans could so easily get the chop from the big guy. God kills Uzzah for simply steadying the tumbling Ark (1Chronicles 13.9,10). Poor Onan was zapped for using the withdrawal method of birth control (Genesis 38.10). But such isolated vindictiveness palls in comparison with the mass killings of the Lord. When the autocratic Moses faces a rebellion led by Korah, God uses an earthquake and fire to consume two hundred and fifty rebels. When indignant sympathizers protest at the injustice, God wipes out another fourteen thousand seven hundred with a plague (Numbers 16). What a guy!

Always nice to find two good minds.
You will both know who you are.

I find it ironic that the ancient Jews rejected a God of war and human sacrifice for a God of love, while the Christians usurped your God and reversed much of the Jewish God of love for a God of war and human sacrifice.

I offer this for thinkers. That basically excludes most literalist and fundamental Christians.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WD0eSqFJ7J4]Secrets of Christianity: Selling Christianity - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xA_SSpQDpl4&feature=related]The Franks - YouTube[/ame]

Regards
DL

Regards
DL

Those who can, do.
Those who cannot, do not.

Show where your God has done what you say he can.

Proof of any braggart is in the doing or at least the showing.

Regards
DL

You prove my point! ... thank you.

Forum List

Back