God is a Monstrous, Evil, Bloodthirsty Tyrant

YWC, when you have nothing to say, it's generally best to say nothing.

Why isn't this in the Romper Room? It's just a bait thread, created by a bigot.

I happen to believe that God is true and does exist. The title of this thread is very saddening to me.

PEACE

The title of this thread has nothing to do with whether God exists. Many people on both sides of that question seem to have a problem understanding that. I'm talking about whether the PICTURE of God presented by traditional Christian theology makes any (moral) sense -- not whether the REALITY of God does.

Traditional Christian theology presents a God who is much as I described him. He demands perfection of people that he created imperfect, and punishes failure to live up to his standards by making people scream forever under hideous torture. After doing this for thousands of years, he sends his son to be tortured instead and is willing to let imperfect humanity off the hook -- but only those that follow a religion worshiping said son of God. For everyone else, it's still scream forever in hideous torture.

My point of course is not that the REAL God fits that description, but rather that he doesn't, and hence that traditional Christian theology is absurd. Christians are in fact all aware of this at some level. Depending on how religiously conservative or liberal they are, Christians either make mealy-mouthed and logically nonsensical excuses (like blaming Hell on human free will, when God is under no absolute requirement to punish human abuse of free will on such a ridiculous scale, and so it remains, deny it though you will, his fault), or else reject the concept of Hell and reinterpret the central Christian mythos of Jesus' crucifixion and resurrection in more spiritually sound ways.

The latter approach of course removes the problem. The God of Christians who do this ceases to be a monstrous, evil, bloodthirsty tyrant and becomes the God of love that all Christians proclaim him to be. So I'm not even attacking Christianity as such here -- let alone the idea of God. I am attacking merely a certain concept of God arising from traditional Christian theology.

You want bigot go to a southern Christian church. Remember...the qualifications to become a member of the Ku Klux Klan was to be a Christian and White. two thirds of the older people in the south still feel the same way. Every one of them thumps their bible, carries a gun and votes Republican.

Last edited:

You want bigot go to a southern Christian church. Remember...the qualifications to become a member of the Ku Klux Klan was to be a Christian and White. two thirds of the older people in the south still feel the same way. Every one of them thumps their bible, carries a gun and votes Republican.

I have a great picture of a group of people who endorsed religion and carrying guns.

600px-Declaration_independence.jpg

Last edited:

I have a great picture of a group of people who endorsed religion and carrying guns.

600px-Declaration_independence.jpg

Yeah...here's what Thomas Jefferson said in a letter to John Adams while Adams was president:

"And the day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter. But may we hope that the dawn of reason and freedom of thought in these United States will do away with this artificial scaffolding"
~Thomas Jefferson~ Letter to John Adams, April 11, 1823

I won't even start on the way Thomas Paine bad mouthed the bible.

I happen to believe that God is true and does exist. The title of this thread is very saddening to me.

PEACE

The title of this thread has nothing to do with whether God exists. Many people on both sides of that question seem to have a problem understanding that. I'm talking about whether the PICTURE of God presented by traditional Christian theology makes any (moral) sense -- not whether the REALITY of God does.

Traditional Christian theology presents a God who is much as I described him. He demands perfection of people that he created imperfect, and punishes failure to live up to his standards by making people scream forever under hideous torture. After doing this for thousands of years, he sends his son to be tortured instead and is willing to let imperfect humanity off the hook -- but only those that follow a religion worshiping said son of God. For everyone else, it's still scream forever in hideous torture.

My point of course is not that the REAL God fits that description, but rather that he doesn't, and hence that traditional Christian theology is absurd. Christians are in fact all aware of this at some level. Depending on how religiously conservative or liberal they are, Christians either make mealy-mouthed and logically nonsensical excuses (like blaming Hell on human free will, when God is under no absolute requirement to punish human abuse of free will on such a ridiculous scale, and so it remains, deny it though you will, his fault), or else reject the concept of Hell and reinterpret the central Christian mythos of Jesus' crucifixion and resurrection in more spiritually sound ways.

The latter approach of course removes the problem. The God of Christians who do this ceases to be a monstrous, evil, bloodthirsty tyrant and becomes the God of love that all Christians proclaim him to be. So I'm not even attacking Christianity as such here -- let alone the idea of God. I am attacking merely a certain concept of God arising from traditional Christian theology.

Well, your concepts of theology are incorrect. You simply do not understand because you choose not too.

Yeah...here's what Thomas Jefferson said in a letter to John Adams while Adams was president:

"And the day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter. But may we hope that the dawn of reason and freedom of thought in these United States will do away with this artificial scaffolding"

Jefferson was a complicated guy. He also referenced God twice as justification in the first two sentences of the Declaration of Independence. He also said "To the corruption of Christianity I am indeed opposed," he wrote to Rush, "but not to the genuine precepts of Jesus himself."

Jefferson Bible | A Founding Father's view of God - Los Angeles Times

Besides....not sure if you realize this but there were other people that played a role in our founding aside from Jefferson and Paine.

PEACE

And yet, as I demonstrated in my first post in this thread, your understanding of traditional Christian theology is fatally flawed.

Well, your concepts of theology are incorrect.

So enlighten us. Where am I wrong about traditional Christian theology? What is it in reality?
Again, I showed you in my first post. You chose instead to ignore it and continue pretending you're the smartest guy in the room.

To be fair, however, you are...until someone else walks in.

Jefferson was a complicated guy. He also referenced God twice as justification in the first two sentences of the Declaration of Independence. He also said "To the corruption of Christianity I am indeed opposed," he wrote to Rush, "but not to the genuine precepts of Jesus himself."

Jefferson Bible | A Founding Father's view of God - Los Angeles Times

Besides....not sure if you realize this but there were other people that played a role in our founding aside from Jefferson and Paine.

If you're a fast reader this won't take long. Make note that Jefferson left out the miracles, the divinity, the trinity and resurrection:

The Jefferson Bible

God is a construct of man.

Its a construct that is about to outlive its nessesity.

It will fizzle and die out like all myths whos purpose is outlived.

It will continue for some time to come yet.

Trying to force people OUT of the need for its comfort prematurely is not going to work.

i think someone said this in 1450....and again in 1550.....again in 1650......in 1750.....and will probably be saying this in 2250.....if we haven't destroyed ourselves yet.....

PEACE

Wrong idiot. God is nothing like you describe. God did not make man imperfect. Man, as he usually does, listened to satan's lies and therefore fell. God punishes non-believers. You are still listening to satans lies. Shut up and leave.

Well I suppose we will both know when we die. If I am right I will get to rub your nose in it in the afterlife, and if you are right neither of us will care. But my chances of being able to gloat about it seem better than yours. :D

Prove it.....when a person dies they're dead. That's why they call it dying. Do you reali e how goddam stupid it is for someone to actually talk about an afterlife. I'd sooner believe my neighbor was picked up by aliens and taken to another galaxy for a physical. Only two types of people believe in an afterlife. Those who were totally and helplessly brainwashed when they were an infant or small child and those who are very naive. 'Course the average IQ is 100. That means there are as many with an IQ below 100 as there are with one above. 100 ain't your sharpest knife in the drawer.

Are you claiming people of faith have lower IQs than unbelievers?
Cammmpbell proves his low iq all the time, by opening his mouth.

Forum List

Back