God helps those who help themselves???

ABikerSailor

Diamond Member
Aug 26, 2008
Newberry, SC
BULLSHIT!!!!!!!!

I personally challenge ANY Christian on these boards who can provide an actual Bible verse stating as such. Guess what? THERE AREN'T ANY!!!!!!!

It's just another way for the Christians to turn their backs on charity.

I mean, if God only helps those who help themselves, then why pray? If you're already doing okay, why would you need to call on God to help you? Most people that I've met generally turn to prayer when most other means of getting the goal accomplished have failed, so doesn't that mean that God actually helps those that need it?

Just a question.

I have also heard that "Man's hands do the Work of God on Earth" and I don't think that's a Bible quote either. I think the lesson is supposed to be that we're supposed to make an effort for ourselves and not count on God or prayer to bail us out for our own failures to live up to our own hopes and dreams and aspirations. That's my 2 cents worth.

BULLSHIT!!!!!!!!

I personally challenge ANY Christian on these boards who can provide an actual Bible verse stating as such. Guess what? THERE AREN'T ANY!!!!!!!

I mean, if God only helps those who help themselves, then why pray? If you're already doing okay, why would you need to call on God to help you? Most people that I've met generally turn to prayer when most other means of getting the goal accomplished have failed, so doesn't that mean that God actually helps those that need it?

Just a question.

Do you really want to make that comparison analysis?

:eusa_hand:

BULLSHIT!!!!!!!!

Just a question.

Atheist alan1 calls bullshit on you.
Got a link to prove that christains are less charitable than non-christions?
Got a link to support your "only" statement?

BULLSHIT!!!!!!!!

Just a question.

Charity seems to run stronger in conservative circles than in liberal circles.

It's government forced "Charity" they object to.

The verse you mentioned is not in the Bible. Jesus said that we weren't to worry about food or clothes because God would provide them for you. However, you must pray and give him praise.

Matthew 6:25-34 - 25"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes?

26"Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life? 28And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 30If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will He not much more clothe you, O you of little faith?

31"So do not worry, saying, `What shall we eat?' or `What shall we drink?' or `What shall we wear?' 32For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."
http://www.scripturestudies.com/Vol6/F4/f4_nt.html​

BULLSHIT!!!!!!!!

Just a question.

Actually, the context for this particular thread came up becasue some idiot GOP dirtbag politician was pontificating on the news the other day, in FAVOR of the Ryan budget plan, because he said "God helps those who help themselves, it's in the Bible", while talking about getting rid of meals on wheels. Matter of fact, the person in question was Joe Barton who was talking about getting rid of meals on wheels (a personal pet project of his btw), while favoring tax cuts for the wealthy and increasing the military budget.

Just another example of why the GOP is gonna lose big this election. Not only do they lie about their policies, they also lie about what the Bible says. When is it EVER permissible to lie about the Word of God?

BULLSHIT!!!!!!!!

Just a question.

Actually, the context for this particular thread came up becasue some idiot GOP dirtbag politician was pontificating on the news the other day, in FAVOR of the Ryan budget plan, because he said "God helps those who help themselves, it's in the Bible", while talking about getting rid of meals on wheels. Matter of fact, the person in question was Joe Barton who was talking about getting rid of meals on wheels (a personal pet project of his btw), while favoring tax cuts for the wealthy and increasing the military budget.

Just another example of why the GOP is gonna lose big this election. Not only do they lie about their policies, they also lie about what the Bible says. When is it EVER permissible to lie about the Word of God?

Then that person is an idiot.

If having an idiot in one's party will doom an election, don't feel so confident with your anticipated results in November.

:eusa_whistle:

BULLSHIT!!!!!!!!

Just a question.

Of course there is no Bible verse. The quotes for Ole Poor Richard aka Ben Franklin. He's right though. You can see the principle in the parable of the talents.

Oh and we pray because we need to communicate with God. We need to have a relationship with Him.

Best answer I've ever seen on why we pray:

As soon as we learn the true relationship in which we stand toward God (namely, God is our Father, and we are his children), then at once prayer becomes natural and instinctive on our part (Matt. 7:7–11). Many of the so-called difficulties about prayer arise from forgetting this relationship. Prayer is the act by which the will of the Father and the will of the child are brought into correspondence with each other. The object of prayer is not to change the will of God, but to secure for ourselves and for others blessings that God is already willing to grant, but that are made conditional on our asking for them. Blessings require some work or effort on our part before we can obtain them. Prayer is a form of work, and is an appointed means for obtaining the highest of all blessings. (Prayer - Bible Dictionary)

Prayer isnt like calling a pizza shop where we pick up a phone, place an order, and wait for the delivery. There is a higher purpose than just asking for things we want.

Last edited:
BULLSHIT!!!!!!!!

Just a question.
AFAIK, that particular quip was made by Benjamin Franklin who often had quotes attributed to biblical sources.

The philosophy comes from the idea of "Seek and ye shall find. Knock and it shall be opened for you." But that's about as close as I know it comes.

Now, why the grumpy grundy?

BULLSHIT.jpg

Forum List

Back