God bless Texas

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by -Cp, Nov 9, 2005.

1. -Cp

-Cp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +363
    Texas Voters Approve Ban on Gay Marriage

Texas voters Tuesday overwhelmingly approved a constitutional ban on same-sex marriage, making their state the 19th to take that step. In Maine, however, a proposal to repeal a new gay-rights law was trailing in early returns.

In California, voters had a chance to embolden or embarrass Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger as they considered four measures he promoted as part of a power struggle with legislators and public-employee unions.

The contest in Texas was decided quickly _ the ban was receiving 75 percent of the votes in early returns. Like every other state except Massachusetts, Texas didn't permit same-sex marriages previously, but the constitutional amendment was touted as an extra guard against future court rulings.

The campaign had been enlivened over the past week because of a controversial tactic by the amendment's opponents, who argued in recorded phone calls to voters that the measure was so poorly worded that it could jeopardize traditional man-woman marriages. Amendment supporters denounced the effort as misleading.

In a local Texas election, voters in White Settlement, named 160 years ago after white settlers moved into a mostly Indian area, emphatically rejected a proposal to change the town's name to West Settlement. Some civic leaders felt the traditional name should be changed to lure business investment; more than 90 percent of voters in early returns disagreed.

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2005/11/08/D8DOLRV0H.html

2. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741
    woot! :)

3. Jimmyeatworld

Jimmyeatworld Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +223
    I never got a phone call, but I heard some guys on the radio trying to claim that the amendment could ban traditional marriage because of the wording. If anything, that might have hurt their chances to change people's minds. It was pretty plain stated, saying that marriage would be recognized as a union between a man and a woman. Don't see how it could be used to ban marriage altogether.

4. Hagbard Celine

Hagbard Celine Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Score one for intolerance! Wahoo!:thup:

5. -Cp

-Cp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +363
    No doubt... there are things in life we have to be intolerant about.... and the attack from the ass-pirates on the sancity of Marriage is defintely one of them...

• Thank You! Thank You! x 3
  6. ThomasPaine

ThomasPaine Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +66

vote for marriage as being between a man and a woman? Wadaya want? Oh I know libs want marriage extended to all forms of relationship. "I now pronounce you man and _______________ (Fill in the blank with gender, beast, whatever)".

I think the gays understand now that the rest of the country isn't 'Frisco or Fagachusetts, er Massachusetts.

7. The ClayTaurus

The ClayTaurus Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    Technically, he is correct. If you're not going to tolerate gay marriage, you are intollerant of gay marriage.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  8. Hagbard Celine

Hagbard Celine Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +61
    If you think gay marriage "threatens the sanctity of marriage," how about a man or woman who gets married over and over again and keeps getting divorced multiple times? Should divorce be banned? It threatens the sanctity of marriage! What about couples who meet in Reno or Vegas and get married in the Chapel-o-love on a whim? Should that be banned? It threatens the holy sanctity of marriage! Your "sanctity" argument is full-o-holes.:eek:

9. Palestinian Jew

Palestinian Jew Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Can someone define "sanctity of marriage"?

10. The ClayTaurus

The ClayTaurus Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    I think of it two ways.

There is the sanctity of your own marriage, that is based on your actions within your marriage. If you go out and cheat, you hurt the sanctity of your marriage. It's a localized sanctity.

Then there is the sanctity of marriage in general. The idea that if multiple people hurt the sanctity of their own marriage, it will collectively hurt the sanctity of marriage in general. That is, marriage will be less regarded in the public sphere. This is a more public sanctity, and usually what people are talking about when they use the sanctity of marriage argument.

At least, that's what I assume. I don't know how gay marriage or divorce or infidelity in another relationship effects your localized sanctity other than throuhg the harming of public sanctity.