God bless Texas

-Cp

Sep 23, 2004
Earth
Texas Voters Approve Ban on Gay Marriage

Texas voters Tuesday overwhelmingly approved a constitutional ban on same-sex marriage, making their state the 19th to take that step. In Maine, however, a proposal to repeal a new gay-rights law was trailing in early returns.

In California, voters had a chance to embolden or embarrass Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger as they considered four measures he promoted as part of a power struggle with legislators and public-employee unions.

The contest in Texas was decided quickly _ the ban was receiving 75 percent of the votes in early returns. Like every other state except Massachusetts, Texas didn't permit same-sex marriages previously, but the constitutional amendment was touted as an extra guard against future court rulings.

The campaign had been enlivened over the past week because of a controversial tactic by the amendment's opponents, who argued in recorded phone calls to voters that the measure was so poorly worded that it could jeopardize traditional man-woman marriages. Amendment supporters denounced the effort as misleading.

In a local Texas election, voters in White Settlement, named 160 years ago after white settlers moved into a mostly Indian area, emphatically rejected a proposal to change the town's name to West Settlement. Some civic leaders felt the traditional name should be changed to lure business investment; more than 90 percent of voters in early returns disagreed.

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2005/11/08/D8DOLRV0H.html

I never got a phone call, but I heard some guys on the radio trying to claim that the amendment could ban traditional marriage because of the wording. If anything, that might have hurt their chances to change people's minds. It was pretty plain stated, saying that marriage would be recognized as a union between a man and a woman. Don't see how it could be used to ban marriage altogether.

Hagbard Celine said:
Score one for intolerance! Wahoo!:thup:

vote for marriage as being between a man and a woman? Wadaya want? Oh I know libs want marriage extended to all forms of relationship. "I now pronounce you man and _______________ (Fill in the blank with gender, beast, whatever)".

I think the gays understand now that the rest of the country isn't 'Frisco or Fagachusetts, er Massachusetts.

ThomasPaine said:
vote for marriage as being between a man and a woman? Wadaya want? Oh I know libs want marriage extended to all forms of relationship. "I now pronounce you man and _______________ (Fill in the blank with gender, beast, whatever)".

I think the gays understand now that the rest of the country isn't 'Frisco or Fagachusetts, er Massachusetts.

Technically, he is correct. If you're not going to tolerate gay marriage, you are intollerant of gay marriage.

-Cp said:
No doubt... there are things in life we have to be intolerant about.... and the attack from the ass-pirates on the sancity of Marriage is defintely one of them...
If you think gay marriage "threatens the sanctity of marriage," how about a man or woman who gets married over and over again and keeps getting divorced multiple times? Should divorce be banned? It threatens the sanctity of marriage! What about couples who meet in Reno or Vegas and get married in the Chapel-o-love on a whim? Should that be banned? It threatens the holy sanctity of marriage! Your "sanctity" argument is full-o-holes.:eek:

Palestinian Jew said:
Can someone define "sanctity of marriage"?

I think of it two ways.

There is the sanctity of your own marriage, that is based on your actions within your marriage. If you go out and cheat, you hurt the sanctity of your marriage. It's a localized sanctity.

Then there is the sanctity of marriage in general. The idea that if multiple people hurt the sanctity of their own marriage, it will collectively hurt the sanctity of marriage in general. That is, marriage will be less regarded in the public sphere. This is a more public sanctity, and usually what people are talking about when they use the sanctity of marriage argument.

At least, that's what I assume. I don't know how gay marriage or divorce or infidelity in another relationship effects your localized sanctity other than throuhg the harming of public sanctity.

Palestinian Jew said:
Can someone define "sanctity of marriage"?

sanc·ti·ty ( P ) Pronunciation Key (sngkt-t)
n. pl. sanc·ti·ties
Holiness of life or disposition; saintliness.
The quality or condition of being considered sacred; inviolability.
Something considered sacred.

Marriage is a holy institution setup by God for a Man and a Woman....

Hagbard Celine said:
If you think gay marriage "threatens the sanctity of marriage," how about a man or woman who gets married over and over again and keeps getting divorced multiple times? Should divorce be banned? It threatens the sanctity of marriage! What about couples who meet in Reno or Vegas and get married in the Chapel-o-love on a whim? Should that be banned? It threatens the holy sanctity of marriage! Your "sanctity" argument is full-o-holes.:eek:

It's not full of holes - and you have to be a complete ass-clown to not see that marriage - by it's nature is designed to promote the unity of a Man and a Woman and procreation...

You and your butt-buddies cannot do that.....

As far as divorce? Ever notice that folks get married by the rules of God and yet divorced by the laws of men?

Generally speaking, divorce doesn't ruin the sancitiy of Marriage so much as it hurts the family involved... I'd say it more pollutes it than anything...

-Cp said:
It's not full of holes - and you have to be a complete ass-clown to not see that marriage - by it's nature is designed to promote the unity of a Man and a Woman and procreation...

As far as divorce? Ever notice that folks get married by the rules of God and yet divorced by the laws of men?

Generally speaking, divorce doesn't ruin the sancitiy of Marriage so much as it hurts the family involved... I'd say it more pollutes it than anything...

I think divorce has cheapened the value of marriage in this country.

-Cp said:
sanc·ti·ty ( P ) Pronunciation Key (sngkt-t)
n. pl. sanc·ti·ties
Holiness of life or disposition; saintliness.
The quality or condition of being considered sacred; inviolability.
Something considered sacred.

Marriage is a holy institution setup by God for a Man and a Woman....

And what most gays are advocating is a state sanctioned marriage. It would be seperate from religion. So by your definition of "Sanctity of Marriage", gays can be married without interfering with your definition.

Palestinian Jew said:
And what most gays are advocating is a state sanctioned marriage. It would be seperate from religion. So by your definition of "Sanctity of Marriage", gays can be married without interfering with your definition.

The word "marriage" is sacred to them. They have a problem with gays using the word marriage.

The ClayTaurus said:
I think of it two ways.

There is the sanctity of your own marriage, that is based on your actions within your marriage. If you go out and cheat, you hurt the sanctity of your marriage. It's a localized sanctity.

Then there is the sanctity of marriage in general. The idea that if multiple people hurt the sanctity of their own marriage, it will collectively hurt the sanctity of marriage in general. That is, marriage will be less regarded in the public sphere. This is a more public sanctity, and usually what people are talking about when they use the sanctity of marriage argument.

At least, that's what I assume. I don't know how gay marriage or divorce or infidelity in another relationship effects your localized sanctity other than throuhg the harming of public sanctity.

I think a lot of people have not formed a definition yet about what "sanctity of marriage" means, so to them a state sanctioned event somehow intrudes on their religion.

For those of you who are married, has your marriage in any way been affected by gay marriage?

-Cp said:

They get married by the law of man too. They get a marriage license issued by the courts. And if divorce only hurts the family involved and doesn't have any effect on marriage over all, then why does gay marriage influence all marriages, not just the family that is involved? More holes buddy. You might want to plug those up before your argument completely sinks.:laugh:

I like the "butt-buddy" slur. I guess I can see your logic. I'm arguing for gay rights so I must automatically be gay.:rolleyes: You're such a hillbilly it's not even funny.

The ClayTaurus said:
The word "marriage" is sacred to them. They have a problem with gays using the word marriage.

You've just stated exactly what my problem with "gay marriage" is. I don't have a problem with gay people entering into a civil union in order to be on each others insurance or for death benefits or whatever, but there is absolutally no reason to call it a marriage. Marriage is between a man and a woman period and should stay that way.

I could care less is two gays get "married," its not going to effect me. The only thing that does bother me about state sanctioned gay marriage is that it publically condones the action, and it will be taught to our children that its ok(more so than it already is in the media).

Forum List

Back