God arguments based on science.

Employing science in a debate about God's existence most commonly betrays?

• A profound ignorance for scientific discipline

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • An ulterior motive

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Both a profound ignorance of scientific discipline AND an ulterior motive

Votes: 5 71.4%

• Total voters
I think Einstein said it best....."Science without theology is blind, theology without science is crippled".

What that basically means to me is that God DOES let science explain things about various aspects of Him. Not only that, but He also allows advances in technology and science to help further along our understanding of Him. However, just because you can do something, doesn't necessarily mean that you should. Cloning animals for food is one of them.

On the other hand, religious people tend to never investigate things. If we choose to just say "God did it", and never look deeper into it, then it's kinda like wasting the gifts that God gave us. He actually (imho) WANTS us to look into things, to understand better, so that everyone can live and be happy. Matter of fact, that is what Revelations is all about.....the world to come, which is where Heaven and Earth are joined together.

But, we can't get there unless we're investigating where it's coming from, because there are all sorts of evil types who want to keep it from happening, as they want to claim to be the Second Coming.

A quick question on that by the way......if Jesus never died because He was resurrected, then why do people keep trying to say that they are Him? He didn't die, and so therefore doesn't need to be "born again".

I think we have different ideas of what science is or what the physical world is, poll whaker.

I think we have different ideas of what science is or what the physical world is, poll whaker.

I'm glad to hear you're at least thinking for a change. But unfortunately, science is what it is regardless of your misconceptions. :eusa_whistle:

I think Einstein said it best....."Science without theology is blind, theology without science is crippled".
Seeing as he was an atheist, Einstein probably threw that cryptic remark out there to appease the religious types at Princeton.

Einstein the agnostic

Actually he may have been more of an agnostic, I guess it depends on your own understanding of atheism. Everything I've read about him has led me to conclude he was an atheist.

Atheism
Atheists Irk Einstein

In view of such harmony in the cosmos which I, with my limited human understanding, am able to recognize, there are yet people who say there is no God. But what really makes me angry is that they quote me for the support of such views.

— Prince Hubertus zu Löwenstein, Towards the Further Shore (Victor Gollancz, London, 1968), p. 156; quoted in Jammer, p. 97

I was barked at by numerous dogs who are earning their food guarding ignorance and superstition for the benefit of those who profit from it. Then there are the fanatical atheists whose intolerance is of the same kind as the intolerance of the religious fanatics and comes from the same source. They are like slaves who are still feeling the weight of their chains which they have thrown off after hard struggle. They are creatures who—in their grudge against the traditional "opium of the people"—cannot bear the music of the spheres. The Wonder of nature does not become smaller because one cannot measure it by the standards of human moral and human aims.

— Einstein to an unidentified adressee, Aug.7, 1941. Einstein Archive, reel 54-927, quoted in Jammer, p. 97

Atheists Miss the Wonder of the World
…

You find it strange that I consider the comprehensibility of the world (to the extent that we are authorized to speak of such a comprehensibility) as a miracle or an eternal mystery. Well a priori one should expect a chaotic world which cannot be grasped by the mind in anyway. One could (yes one should) expect the world to be subjected to law only to the extent that we order it through our intelligence. Ordering of this kind would be like the alphabetical ordering of the words of a language. By contrast, the kind of order created by Newton's theory of gravitation, for instance, is wholly different. Even if the axioms of the theory are proposed by man, the success of such a project presupposes a high degree of ordering of the objective world, and this could not be expected a priori. That is the "miracle" which is being constantly re-enforced as our knowledge expands.

There lies the weaknesss of positivists and professional atheists who are elated because they feel that they have not only successfully rid the world of gods but "bared the miracles." (That is, explained the miracles. - ed.) Oddly enough, we must be satisfied to acknowledge the "miracle" without there being any legitimate way for us to approach it . I am forced to add that just to keep you from thinking that --weakened by age--I have fallen prey to the clergy …

— From a letter to Maurice Solovine; see Goldman, p. 24

Einstein Not a "Freethinker"

The idea of a personal God is quite alien to me and seems even naive. However, I am also not a "Freethinker" in the usual sense of the word because I find that this is in the main an attitude nourished exclusively by an opposition against naive superstition. My feeling is insofar religious as I am imbued with the consciousness of the insuffiency of the human mind to understand deeply the harmony of the Universe which we try to formulate as "laws of nature." It is this consciousness and humility I miss in the Freethinker mentality. Sincerely yours, Albert Einstein.

—Letter to A. Chapple, Australia, February 23, 1954; Einstein Archive 59-405; also quoted in Nathan and Norden, Einstein on Peace P. 510

You might also want to look at this reference where Einstein explicitly denies being an atheist.

Atheism

Really? Einstein was an atheist?

Atheism

Really? Einstein was an atheist?

Sounds like it too me. His only complaint with atheists appears to be that some are just as annoying in their determination to be right as are some religious people. Remember in which time period Einstein was doing much of his research and in need of securing his academic appointments. while he was at Princeton, McCarthy was out hunting down communists which to many people of that time were synonymous with atheists. Einstein had every reason to be as respectful as possible towards religious ideas.

It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it.

-- Albert Einstein, 1954, from Albert Einstein: The Human Side, edited by Helen Dukas and Banesh Hoffman, Princeton University Press

Forum List

Back