God and the suffering of Jesus

In regard to the Passion and crucifixion of Jesus and the suffering of God at the hands of man:

• Jesus was God but he was a physical illusion, therefore neither Jesus nor God suffered

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • God/the Holy Spirit left Jesus before the crucifixion, therefore God did not suffer

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jesus was God in human form, therefore God suffered the same pain Jesus did

• God has no physical form and can't suffer. He experienced life through Jesus only intellectually.

• Other - Please explain

Votes: 4 57.1%

• Total voters
Jesus seemed to have a good understanding of human nature and seemed to be an intelligent man, but I think that is all he was . . . a man.

Nowadays, if there was a "Jesus," he would be thrown in some mental institution, I'm sure. :lol:

So I have been thinking a lot about God and the crucifixion. For the sake of this question let's assume that Jesus was God or at the very least God resided within Jesus through the Holy Spirit during His ministry. It creates a question about God suffering at the hands of man through Jesus. This was a really big issue in early Christianity and one of the reasons why there were so many different forms of Christianity in the early church.

The question was "if Jesus was God, and Jesus suffered at the hands of man, did man cause God to physically suffer as well?" There was a lot of debate. Some said that Jesus was God, but his physical form was merely an illusion and therefore God did not suffer because you can't harm an illusion. Some apocryphal gospels even depict Jesus as laughing during the crucifixion to really make this point stick. Some said that God entered Jesus either at birth or at his baptism by John the Baptist and left Jesus before His death to avoid the suffering. The thought here was that man cannot possibly harm God so God must have left before any actual harm befell Jesus. Still others argued that Jesus was God and the whole point was for God to experience what it was to be a man. Therefore, God suffered all the same pains and agonies as Jesus did during the passion and crucifixion.

As a point of Biblical history, these schools of thought (as well as others) created rivalries and completely separate branches of early Christianity such as the Gnostics, Ebinonites, Marcionites, proto-orthodox, etc. There were tons of them. To some degree all those different points of view remain within different branches of Christianity.

So I ask this question because I am interested in what most people think of have been taught. I know my point of view on this, but I am very curious to see what others think. For those who are atheist...yeah we already know your point of view. Bugger off. ;)

Other.

Jesus was a heretic who was executed as per Deuteronomy 13:5

"13 If a prophet, or one who foretells by dreams, appears among you and announces to you a sign or wonder, 2 and if the sign or wonder spoken of takes place, and the prophet says, “Let us follow other gods” (gods you have not known) “and let us worship them,” 3 you must not listen to the words of that prophet or dreamer. The Lord your God is testing you to find out whether you love him with all your heart and with all your soul. 4 It is the Lord your God you must follow, and him you must revere. Keep his commands and obey him; serve him and hold fast to him. 5 That prophet or dreamer must be put to death for inciting rebellion against the Lord your God, who brought you out of Egypt and redeemed you from the land of slavery. That prophet or dreamer tried to turn you from the way the Lord your God commanded you to follow. You must purge the evil from among you." (Deu. 13:1-5, NIV)

When did Jesus ever say to go worship other gods?

Forum List

Back