God and America

Apr 12, 2006
New Jersey
The results of a Baylor study were in the Economist:

-31% of Americans see God as wrathful (44% of southerners)
-23% of Americans see God as benevolent (29% of midwesterners)
-16% of Americans see God as watchful but don't believe he intervenes (21% of easterners)
-24% of Americans see God as a cosmic force with no interest in Earthly affairs (popular in the west)

47% say they believe in the bible
63% believe in a higher power
5% are atheists

19% believe God favors the US in international politics (idiots)
10% said religion shapes their views of the Iraq war.
90% are comforted by the thought of God or a higher power.

75% of Pakistanis believe that the US is not religious enough
50% of the Britons who professed to not liking America said that America is too religious.

Interesting stuff, draw your own conclusions I suppose. I really don't care what Americans believe. I am a catholic, but I do not necessarily agree with all of the church's views. I see god as either non-interfering or benevolent (I have not decided).

I think it is essential to seperate religion and politics. It is important to see America as a nation full of Christians, not a Christian nation. The U.S. is a nation that serves muslims, jews, hindus, buddhists, and atheists as equally as it serves christians. Realpolitik is a great philosophy, our leaders should practice it.

The results of a Baylor study were in the Economist:

-31% of Americans see God as wrathful (44% of southerners)
-23% of Americans see God as benevolent (29% of midwesterners)
-16% of Americans see God as watchful but don't believe he intervenes (21% of easterners)
-24% of Americans see God as a cosmic force with no interest in Earthly affairs (popular in the west)

47% say they believe in the bible
63% believe in a higher power
5% are atheists

19% believe God favors the US in international politics (idiots)
10% said religion shapes their views of the Iraq war.
90% are comforted by the thought of God or a higher power.

75% of Pakistanis believe that the US is not religious enough
50% of the Britons who professed to not liking America said that America is too religious.

Interesting stuff, draw your own conclusions I suppose. I really don't care what Americans believe. I am a catholic, but I do not necessarily agree with all of the church's views. I see god as either non-interfering or benevolent (I have not decided).

I think it is essential to seperate religion and politics. It is important to see America as a nation full of Christians, not a Christian nation. The U.S. is a nation that serves muslims, jews, hindus, buddhists, and atheists as equally as it serves christians. Realpolitik is a great philosophy, our leaders should practice it.

What do you find attractive about Realpolitik?

I'm confused in the breakdown. Why the sectionalism for certain categories? Didn't it break down all the percentages among all the sections? Am I missing something here?

I'm confused in the breakdown. Why the sectionalism for certain categories? Didn't it break down all the percentages among all the sections? Am I missing something here?

The article did not reveal the complete results, just the statistics I posted.

so, it wasn't really reliable? Seems a reasonable conclusion.

No, they are reliable. They came from a baylor study (baylor is an evangelical university, I do not think they would try to create faulty numbers on the issue) and The Economist is an extremely respected publication.

No, they are reliable. They came from a baylor study (baylor is an evangelical university, I do not think they would try to create faulty numbers on the issue) and The Economist is an extremely respected publication.

Hello, but they do not 'illuminate' anything, not one thing. So they are worthless.

Hello, but they do not 'illuminate' anything, not one thing. So they are worthless.

That does not mean that the statistics are unreliable. I put them out there as food for thought. What is worthless to you may be interesting to another.

That does not mean that the statistics are unreliable. I put them out there as food for thought. What is worthless to you may be interesting to another.

So might many believe in God, some don't. Still and all, what is the relevance? How is any of it 'food for thought?' If there is no point to the numbers, if they add nothing and really have no basis in realitiy, why post?

got a link to this reliable study?

Buy the issue, or search the web. As I said, Baylor university is not going to slight christianity...they are an evangleical university.

I don't think the Economist had a hiden agenda. It is a conservative magazine and these statistics were in an article about religion as a powerful force in America.

Buy the issue, or search the web. As I said, Baylor university is not going to slight christianity...they are an evangleical university.

I don't think the Economist had a hiden agenda. It is a conservative magazine and these statistics were in an article about religion as a powerful force in America.

tis board rules that the poster is to provide links to the articles to avoid copyright infringements

thanks .... white sox fan huh? married the grand daughter of a white sox player

Really? That is pretty sweet. What was grandpa's name? It was a rough day for me, the White Sox were eliminated from the playoff hunt :bang3:

I think you are wrong. Religion is part of the founding documents that our government and laws are based on.

I think that God is mentioned in the Declaration of Independence. There is the First Amendment to the Constitution. I think that our government is based, to a small degree, on religion. I’m glad that it is not entirely based on the Bible. It would be pretty cruel if every sentence of advice found in the Bible were codified into US law – wow – how repressive our nation would be.

I think that God is mentioned in the Declaration of Independence. There is the First Amendment to the Constitution. I think that our government is based, to a small degree, on religion. I’m glad that it is not entirely based on the Bible. It would be pretty cruel if every sentence of advice found in the Bible were codified into US law – wow – how repressive our nation would be.

Branching out huh? Pulling your usual BS on whether or not this country and its laws are based on Christianity or not, huh?

Once again, you attempt to deny the obvious through double-talk, deflection and your favorite, relativism. Just another blatantly obvious no-brainer you refuse to accept.

I don't think there's even a therapy that can help how far you keep your head shoved up your ass.

Forum List

Back