Goals

Unkotare

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2011
What's one place (or many) you've always wanted to go but thus far never have?

For me, Bhutan.

Outside of Manhattan! Every time i go..... i just never seem to make it out of manhattan!

Frankenmuth, Michigan.... they have the largest christmas store EVA!!!

Portland OR..... for the biggest food truck spot in the country!!!

Hatch, NM.... for the Hatch chili festival!!!

For me, Bhutan.

The place I always wanted to go ever since I was a teenager was Paris, France. But now I've been there something like five times, and although I still can't get enough, well.... I've been there.

(I speak French passably well now, by the way. Learned it mostly from African refugees here in the States, so I'm sure the Parisians think I sound like a black girl. I did get some funny looks last time I was there. :D )

Next "wish I were there" place was Venice, Italy. We went there in April last year, after a week in Paris... and it was a blast!

(Learned a little bit of Italian beforehand, but secondary languages include German and French... not much English, but menus are available.)

The best part of Venice was taking the "vaporetto" -- the bus boat -- to the different islands around Venice. One island used to be a military base in WWI... but now it's overgrown and colonized by pygmy goats. They were put there to keep the vegetation in check... and whoever bought them wasn't choosy, so there are all different kinds of little pygmy goats. They have straight horns and curly horns; twisted and curved; long fur and short; shaggy and silky. There are so many goats that we decided not to try to pass the herd even though they weren't aggressive, because we figured that as long as they were peaceful, it was in our best interest not to arouse their ire -- those horns looked sharp!

So we had a quiet picnic, just my hubby and me, on a berm that overlooked both the channel and the field where the goats were hanging out... and not another soul in sight.

That was the great thing about Venice... if you did a little exploring, you could end up on an island totally away from the crowds.

-- Paravani

Last edited:
I had never been out of the country until 2010....i was 57 yrs old! My son & family were stationed in Grafenweir (sp?) for 3 yrs and i got to go spend 2 weeks with them. Awesome country!!!! We got to spend a day in Prague, 2 nights in Garmish in the Alps in an old hostel. It was great!

Several random places that are on my short list.

Ireland
Germany
Belize
Australia

Savannah Ga.
Louisville Ky. Mega Cavern & Slugger Field
Cruise to Alaska
Montana-Parks and Caverns

We hope to have visited all 50 states one day.

For me, Bhutan.

Bhutan was beautiful. Definitely worth the effort. The air was dry as hell though. The climb up to Tiger's Nest was brutal, especially given the country is in such high altitudes. The flight into Paro is a gas.

I'll be heading to Burma, Estonia, Romania and Turkey next year. They've been on the list for awhile.

Iceland's been on the list for a long, long time now. I'll get there one day.

For me, Bhutan.

The place I always wanted to go ever since I was a teenager was Paris, France. But now I've been there something like five times, and although I still can't get enough, well.... I've been there.

(I speak French passably well now, by the way. Learned it mostly from African refugees here in the States, so I'm sure the Parisians think I sound like a black girl. I did get some funny looks last time I was there. :D )

Next "wish I were there" place was Venice, Italy. We went there in April last year, after a week in Paris... and it was a blast!

(Learned a little bit of Italian beforehand, but secondary languages include German and French... not much English, but menus are available.)

The best part of Venice was taking the "vaporetto" -- the bus boat -- to the different islands around Venice. One island used to be a military base in WWI... but now it's overgrown and colonized by pygmy goats. They were put there to keep the vegetation in check... and whoever bought them wasn't choosy, so there are all different kinds of little pygmy goats. They have straight horns and curly horns; twisted and curved; long fur and short; shaggy and silky. There are so many goats that we decided not to try to pass the herd even though they weren't aggressive, because we figured that as long as they were peaceful, it was in our best interest not to arouse their ire -- those horns looked sharp!

So we had a quiet picnic, just my hubby and me, on a berm that overlooked both the channel and the field where the goats were hanging out... and not another soul in sight.

That was the great thing about Venice... if you did a little exploring, you could end up on an island totally away from the crowds.

-- Paravani

Venice and Paris are both on my "favorite places on earth" list. Venice is just whacko and I love it. You're right about getting away from the crowds. Everyone seems to hang out in the same spots. With a little bit of wandering and getting lost, it's not hard to find oneself in total solitude.

Venice hint: take the Vaporetto down the Grand Canal at night. If the lights are on and the shades aren't pulled, you can get a glimpse of the stunning interiors in some of the Palazzos.

Normandy beachheads.

Machu Picchu.

Solomons and Vanuatu.

A summer paragliding western Europe.

I did Normandy this past summer. Pretty awe inspiring. you sit their looking out and just imaginge what it must have been like. then you see the rows of grave markers and get a chilling reality. I also had the opportunity to paraglide in Bavaria the summer before last.

probably New Zealand.

Someday I'd like to get to heaven too. but i'm not rushing that one.

I have never been out of the country, so just about damn near everywhere lol. There are too many beautiful and historically relevant places I would like to visit to make a list. Especially when history is involved.

I wanna walk the walk.

Attachments

• $mecca.jpg
    $mecca.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 183

Forum List

Back