Go Red Sox! Beat the Dodgers!

protectionist

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2013
Am I from Boston ? No. From Massachusetts ? No. From New England ? Nope. I just plain HATE Los Angeles, that's all. It is the home of overpaid, spoiled brat, Trump-bashing movie stars. The home of millions of illegal aliens - more than any city in America.

It's the home of KTLA, the liberal TV station that deliberately distorted the Rodney King arrest, by editing the tape, and caused the LA riot (54 people died, thousands injured, $ Billion damage).

And if all that isn't enough, it is California. One of only 6 states declaring itself as a sanctuary state for illegal aliens. Home to Governor Jerry Moonbeam Brown, and loudmouth Attorney General Xavier Beccera.

OK. That's it. Kick ass. Beat the Dodgers.

Am I from Boston ? No. From Massachusetts ? No. From New England ? Nope. I just plain HATE Los Angeles, that's all. It is the home of overpaid, spoiled brat, Trump-bashing movie stars. The home of millions of illegal aliens - more than any city in America.

It's the home of KTLA, the liberal TV station that deliberately distorted the Rodney King arrest, by editing the tape, and caused the LA riot (54 people died, thousands injured, $ Billion damage).

And if all that isn't enough, it is California. One of only 6 states declaring itself as a sanctuary state for illegal aliens. Home to Governor Jerry Moonbeam Brown, and loudmouth Attorney General Xavier Beccera.

So you're going with the ultraconservative Bay State. Good thinkin'.

Too bad it never filtered through your obsession lens that baseball ain't politics. And is expressly there as an escape FROM politics.

That said --------- Go Sawx. :eusa_dance:

BoSoxGal

Eh,

The DH sucks. Its the biggest example of big government odd rules in a sport I can think of.

That said, the dirty Dodgers suck.

The DH sucks. Its the biggest example of big government odd rules in a sport I can think of.

Point well taken. I think of it more as a Cult of Ignorance thing, i.e. first the myth spreads that "pitchers can't hit", then they go out of the way to materialize the myth. Self-fulfilling prophecy. I say if you're out there on defense, then after the third out goddam it pick up a bat. And conversely if you do pick up a bat then after that third out you need to be back out on the field. If you can't do both you ain't no ballplayer.

I don't have any emotional attachment for or against the Dodgers but I wouldn't mind seeing Chase Utley cap his extraordinary career with a dramatic moment.

Last time the Dodgers played the Red Sox in the World Series, the Redsox featured a young stand-out pitcher named George Herman Ruth.

Hard to imagine, isn't it?

Boston hates your type of trash a lot more than you hate Los Angeles.

So you're going with the ultraconservative Bay State. Good thinkin'.

Too bad it never filtered through your obsession lens that baseball ain't politics. And is expressly there as an escape FROM politics.

That said --------- Go Sawx. :eusa_dance:

BoSoxGal
For me, baseball is whatever I see it to be. You are entitled to look at it your way as well.

I don't care what Boston thinks. it's a liberal place too, which I don't especially like, but LA is the pit of America. I'll root for ANYBODY that plays against them.

And for you call me "trash" from what I said in the post you quoted, just shows that you are complicit with KTLA and what they did, you support illegal/immoral sanctuary cities, and all the overpaid, spoiled brat, mouthy movie stars, which puts you firmly in the trashbag of America.

Eh,

That said, the dirty Dodgers suck.
The DH adds more hitting, fielding, and baserunning to the game. Not having it has the game being more like managers playing a chess game. I'll go with the former of the 2, but some people might like the latter.

Point well taken. I think of it more as a Cult of Ignorance thing, i.e. first the myth spreads that "pitchers can't hit", then they go out of the way to materialize the myth.
Batting averages of National League pitchers are generally FAR below that of non-pitchers, and always have been. To call what is confirmed by consistent statistical fact for over 100 years, a "myth", is absurd.

I don't care what Boston thinks. it's a liberal place too, which I don't especially like, but LA is the pit of America. I'll root for ANYBODY that plays against them.

And for you call me "trash" from what I said in the post you quoted, just shows that you are complicit with KTLA and what they did, you support illegal/immoral sanctuary cities, and all the overpaid, spoiled brat, mouthy movie stars, which puts you firmly in the trashbag of America.
I call you trash because of what you typically post, you sad little thing :itsok:

Point well taken. I think of it more as a Cult of Ignorance thing, i.e. first the myth spreads that "pitchers can't hit", then they go out of the way to materialize the myth.
Batting averages of National League pitchers are generally FAR below that of non-pitchers, and always have been. To call what is confirmed by consistent statistical fact for over 100 years, a "myth", is absurd.

It ain't because they're pitchers. It's because of expectations.

Hell, Babe Ruth was a pitcher. So was Ichiro. Cliff Lee could hit when he got the chance to (and steal bases too). So can Zack Greinke. Ohtani is a pitcher right now. Michael Lorenzen is a beast.

Then there's this guy:

NOTHING about pitching prevents you from hitting. No Thing.

Last edited:

Now I’m rooting for the dodgers

First off, if you’re making a connection between politics and who to root for during a game, you might be taking yourself a little too seriously.
Second, I am from New England and will happily root for any team that plays the Sox. WEEI and all of the sports nonsense they spew, Boston sports fans may not be the most hateful (I’m looking at you Eagles fans) but I remember listening to some chowder-head from Lowell say he thought they should bench “Big Pappi” in the playoffs because he had an 0fer the day before. One example of many. Just awful. Go Dodgers!

Hell, Babe Ruth was a pitcher. So was Ichiro. Cliff Lee could hit when he got the chance to (and steal bases too). So can Zack Greinke. Ohtani is a pitcher right now. Michael Lorenzen is a beast.

Then there's this guy:

You cherry-picked a few good hitting pitchers. Sure, you can always find a FEW. I recall as a kid, Yankees' Don Larsen was a good hitting pitcher (besides being the only pitcher to pitch a perfect game in the world series). But GENERALLY, pitchers can't hit. A 100 year old FACT.

Here is the LA Dodgers' pitchers' batting stats for 2018, regular season long.

39 Hits.………..291 At Bats...…..Batting Avg. >> .134

Los Angeles Dodgers 2018 Batting / Hitting Statistics - ESPN

This is of 17 pitchers. Take away the 2 best hitters of this group (Clayton Kershaw and Hyun-Jin Ryu), and looking at the other 15 pitchers, their combined batting average is >> .095

You can look at other National League teams' pitcher stats if you like. You'll find about the same thing. :neutral:

Last edited:

Then there's this guy:

You cherry-picked a few good hitting pitchers. Sure, you can always find a FEW. I recall as a kid, Yankees' Don Larsen was a good hitting pitcher (besides being the only pitcher to pitch a perfect game in the world series). But GENERALLY, pitchers can't hit. A 100 year old FACT.

Here is the LA Dodgers' pitchers' batting stats for 2018, regular season long.

39 Hits.………..291 At Bats...…..Batting Avg. >> .134

Los Angeles Dodgers 2018 Batting / Hitting Statistics - ESPN

This is of 17 pitchers. Take away the 2 best hitters of this group (Clayton Kershaw and Hyun-Jin Ryu), and looking at the other 15 pitchers, their combined batting average is >> .095

You can look at other National League teams' pitcher stats if you like. You'll find about the same thing. :neutral:

Go ahead and essplain to the class what it would be about pitching that makes hitting when the inning turns a challenge. Conversely what is it about playing 3B that "gives" that player power when he comes up to bat?

Does Not Follow. No reason other than perpetuating a mythology. What I listed above were those pitchers who don't buy into the mythology. You just quoted Kershaw as one of the better hitters; he's also one of the better pitchers. Shouldn't that work the opposite way? For that matter so are Greinke, Ohtani, Bumgarner, and in their day so were Lee and Ruth. Steve Carlton is another one.

Shouldn't a shitty pitcher be a better hitter than an effective pitcher? That should be the case if there's something about pitching that detracts from hitting. What is it?

Defense is out there to put the offense out, whether it's catching a fly ball, throwing out a grounder or an advancing runner, or serving up a strikeout. Then on the other side of the inning the job of those same players is to get on base and score runs. Doesn't matter what position you play; the 2B is expected to do that just as the C just as the RF etc. There's no logical reason to pick out one of the nine positions and declare "you get a pass, just go through the motions".

Go ahead and essplain to the class what it would be about pitching that makes hitting when the inning turns a challenge. Conversely what is it about playing 3B that "gives" that player power when he comes up to bat?

Does Not Follow. No reason other than perpetuating a mythology. What I listed above were those pitchers who don't buy into the mythology. You just quoted Kershaw as one of the better hitters; he's also one of the better pitchers. Shouldn't that work the opposite way? For that matter so are Greinke, Ohtani, Bumgarner, and in their day so were Lee and Ruth. Steve Carlton is another one.

Shouldn't a shitty pitcher be a better hitter than an effective pitcher? That should be the case if there's something about pitching that detracts from hitting. What is it?

Defense is out there to put the offense out, whether it's catching a fly ball, throwing out a grounder or an advancing runner, or serving up a strikeout. Then on the other side of the inning the job of those same players is to get on base and score runs. Doesn't matter what position you play; the 2B is expected to do that just as the C just as the RF etc. There's no logical reason to pick out one of the nine positions and declare "you get a pass, just go through the motions".
It's not a matter of "logical". It is a matter of the STATISICAL RECORD, as I showed in Post # 17. Point clearly made. No need to go over it again.

I'm betting on the Red Sox to win game 3. After that. the Dodgers will be in the DOOM zone.

Forum List

Back