Go Navy !!!!

slukasiewski

Rookie
Mar 21, 2011

SOURCE: This was an email received from an Army friend of mine

The U. S. S. Constitution (Old Ironsides), as a combat vessel, carried 48,600 gallons of fresh water for her crew of 475 officers and men. This was sufficient to last six months of sustained operations at sea. She carried no evaporators (i.e. fresh water distillers).

However, let it be noted that according to her ship's log, "On July 27, 1798, the U.S.S. Constitution sailed from Boston with a full complement of 475 officers and men, 48,600 gallons of fresh water, 7,400 cannon shot, 11,600 pounds of black powder and 79,400 gallons of rum.

Her mission: "To destroy and harass English shipping."

Making Jamaica on 6 October, she took on 826 pounds of flour and 68,300 gallons of rum.

Then she headed for the Azores, arriving there 12 November. She provisioned with 550 pounds of beef and 64,300 gallons of Portuguese wine.

On 18 November, she set sail for England . In the ensuing days she defeated five British men-of-war and captured and scuttled 12 English merchant ships, salvaging only the rum aboard each.

By 26 January, her powder and shot were exhausted. Nevertheless, although unarmed she made a night raid up the Firth of Clyde in Scotland. Her landing party captured a whisky distillery and transferred 40,000 gallons of single malt Scotch aboard by dawn. Then she headed home.

The U. S. S. Constitution arrived in Boston on 20 February 1799, with no cannon shot, no food, no powder, no rum , no wine, no whisky, and 38,600 gallons of fresh water.

GO NAVY!

Last edited:
Navy history question:

Who banned the routine consumption of alcohol aboard US Navy ships?

Hint: The phrase 'Cup of Joe' was a result.

• Banned
I don't know - but I do know - when we were in Portsmouth, UK back in the late 80s aboard USS Iowa - we went over to the Consitution (was that the Brit "old ironsides") - and man, did we have a blast in the Chief's Mess. Bombed on "Red Rum," they called it Naploean's Blood - or something like that. Anyhow - great times.

And I believe the American and Russian Navy's were the only Navy's not to have booze aboard....

Correct?

• Banned

I didn't say it was my own - idiot. I received it in an email from an Army buddy of mine.

Why don't you do the board a favor and shut the fuck up. Go dabble in running your stupid mouth elsewhere....

I didn't say it was my own - idiot. I received it in an email from an Army buddy of mine.

Why don't you do the board a favor and shut the fuck up. Go dabble in running your stupid mouth elsewhere....

It's dishonest not to source a post.

And... unless you own or admin this board (which you don't) you can mind your own fucking business. Can't cope with me showing you for the dishonest hack that you are? Put me on ignore, asshole.

I don't know - but I do know - when we were in Portsmouth, UK back in the late 80s aboard USS Iowa - we went over to the Consitution (was that the Brit "old ironsides") - and man, did we have a blast in the Chief's Mess. Bombed on "Red Rum," they called it Naploean's Blood - or something like that. Anyhow - great times.

And I believe the American and Russian Navy's were the only Navy's not to have booze aboard....

Correct?

Do you mean HMS Victory, the oldest commissioned warship in the world? She's a very impressive man-o-war. Were you in early enough to see brandy on ships? We (Corpsmen) issued "medicinal" brandy after foul weather unreps and whatnot. Good stuff. When I was in the Middle East during the Iran-Iraq war, we spent 110 days at sea once. We got two beers every 45 days.

• Banned

And... unless you own or admin this board (which you don't) you can mind your own fucking business. Can't cope with me showing you for the dishonest hack that you are? Put me on ignore, asshole.

The email I received from by buddy didn't "cite the source," dumbfuck - so mind your own miserable bitchy business.

Dumb fuck.

• Banned

Correct?

Do you mean HMS Victory, the oldest commissioned warship in the world? She's a very impressive man-o-war. Were you in early enough to see brandy on ships? We (Corpsmen) issued "medicinal" brandy after foul weather unreps and whatnot. Good stuff. When I was in the Middle East during the Iran-Iraq war, we spent 110 days at sea once. We got teo beers every 45 days.

Yes - HMS Victory! Don't recall any brandy onboard - I was in 76-2000. We did have beer days - 2 beers per man - every 90 days at sea. You could buy other Sailor's beer who didn't drink - and have as many as you liked. Also - when we were at anchor off of Beirut from May - December of 83 - we used to have "Fishex" - where we've lower an 8-boat (was on an LKA) - insert about ten cases of red/white/blue - and go fishing. Man, did we get blasted! Couldn't drink on the "ship," but CO determined, it was OK to drink in a "boat."

The email I received from by buddy didn't "cite the source," dumbfuck - so mind your own miserable bitchy business.

Dumb fuck.

So? Are you not intelligent enough to undertake a simple google search in order to source what is clearly not an original piece of work.

It is not plagiarism to send it on email, it could be so by posting it on a public board. My concern is not about you, you dishonest little shit.... it is about this board. There are rules about copyright.

You wouldn't know a 'dumb fuck' without looking in a mirror.

Correct?

Nelson's blood, actually.

Dumb fuck.

So? Are you not intelligent enough to undertake a simple google search in order to source what is clearly not an original piece of work.

It is not plagiarism to send it on email, it could be so by posting it on a public board. My concern is not about you, you dishonest little shit.... it is about this board. There are rules about copyright.

You wouldn't know a 'dumb fuck' without looking in a mirror.

You seem borderline retarded. Let me go back to my original OP and insert the citation "This was an email received from an Army friend of mine," before you have a brain hemmorage and destroy what's remaining up there.

Correct?

Nelson's blood, actually.

You are right again!!!! See what all those years (and booze) has done to cloud the memory?

There were about 15 of us Chief's that went over to their ship that evening for dinner, etc. One of the Iowa CPOs stole a cannonball from the Mess - brought it back onboard. Next morning our CMC - Tom Waters - came into berthing and (great guy) - right before reville, and says, "OK, which one of you assholes took the cannon ball." About 30 seconds later, this cannon ball comes rolling down the deck from one of the bunks in the back of berthing. That was hilarious!!!

Admiral Lord Nelson's flagship was the Victory at Trafalgar (?sp).

From what I remember, they carried the body back in a barrel - I believe they used rum to preserve it? Don't remember the story - I guess I should Google it for a refresher....

In any event - the CPOs on that ship knew how to eat and party. Ever been to Portsmouth? One of my favorite liberty ports. Always greeted by those Greenpeace idiots!!! LOL!!! That an Kiel Germany - check this out.... http://www.greenpeace.org/raw/image...videos/photos/uss-iowa-kiel-germany-nfs-a.jpg

Nice picture. You gotta love the tree huggers. No nukes. Save the whales. I say nuke the whales.

My third ship was an oiler. We did a North Atlantic during the winter once and pulled in to Portsmouth. Had to go there to re-fuel. All the other ships went to Denmark, Netherlands, Keil, etc. It was OK though. Did a trip to London, drank in a pub, ate fish and chips, the whole nine yards.

Well if they let us drink underway we wouldn't have so much catching up to do in port.

Just to put this in some historical context; water went bad and was usually used for limited cooking and cleaning. It was rarely consumed. Rum, beer, etc, didn't go bad, or had a long shelf life.

Drunken sailors either drowned or got thier asses kicked by the people they wre supposed to relieve

Forum List

Back