Gmail

jimnyc

Aug 28, 2003
New York
Anyone lucky enough to get a new Google email account? It appears to be nearly impossible to get one at this point unless you know someone who currently has an account. With a new account you are allowed to send an invite to someone to join. Account invites are being sold on Ebay going as high as $300!!!!

Anyone have one and would like to invite me? :)

If anyone knows how to get one, please PM me!

Originally posted by jimnyc
Yahoo - 4Meg of storage
Hotmail - 2Meg of storage
Gmail - 1Gig of storage

Ah, I too was going to ask why you're jocking google. 1 Gig, now I see. That's crazy storage

300 bucks on ebay, though? That's redonkulous.

I think I'll be shelling out 20 bucks to hotmail to upgrade my account to 10 megs in the near future.

actually yahoo is 100MB right now and for $20 per year you can have 2GB
gmail (i have) has some nice stuff, but also some stuff is missing. In terms of storage. Do you really need 1GB of space?

Said1 said:
How much would you have with your normal provider - the one that comes with your internet account?
That is normally 5-20 MB.

Anyway, I don't see the big deal. I just use my own system for that storage. Just get an email service that allows you POP3 access (like the email account usually provided with internet service), and access it through a program like Outlook Express, which comes free with Windows. Then, all your mail is downloaded and stored straight to your system. I only use some webmail accounts to keep my primary account from getting spammed (though, after 4 years, the spam is already starting to really come).

-Douglas

jimnyc said:
Anyone lucky enough to get a new Google email account? It appears to be nearly impossible to get one at this point unless you know someone who currently has an account. With a new account you are allowed to send an invite to someone to join. Account invites are being sold on Ebay going as high as $300!!!!

Anyone have one and would like to invite me? :)

If anyone knows how to get one, please PM me!
I have one :)

Gmail is a free service and includes 1,000 megabytes of storage with each account. However, Gmail is still in preview mode as we test it to work out the kinks. So for now, it's not generally available.

3. How do I sign up? When can I get a Gmail account?

We're currently only offering Gmail as part of a preview release and limited test. We don't have details on when Gmail will be made more widely available, as that depends in part on the results of the test.

Forum List

Back