GM workers' union prepares for long strike with talks ‘going nowhere fast’

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
Happening in Canada right now, appears it will be a lengthy strike. Canada and Ontario were able to sneak in the $400M payoff to GM to keep jobs in Oshawa and St.Catherines (though I shared this payoff with the U.S government so they understood what they were dealing with), appears they aren't able to find peace in another Ontario city with this money.

For the record, I'm a straight shooter who seeks justice in a straight forward so I am transparent in my efforts. I don't gloat or mock them, but I do let them know specifics and names without apology. Its the way I was raised, unlike the cowards who target me and my family...

Thus, in regards to my exposing of the Canadian abuses of American corporations, I have been quite direct and overt when I email GM CE Mary Barra, Unifors Union leader Jerry Dias, PM Trudeau, Premier Wynne, current interim RCMP Commissioner Dubeau and OPP conman Vince Hawkes specifcally in regards to the issue of Canadian tactics in U.S corporations. Of which of course, GM is one.

Quite simply, I am encouraging GM to reconsider their employment efforts in Ontario and to instead look to the U.S for this expansion. I have made some very strong social arguments for this over the last few months, even before Trump was elected (via what I have experienced and what I know is going on in Canada), and, some strong economic reasons for remaining in the U.S after his election. This, even before the much lower tax rate and regulation decreases took place.

Canada is going to pay a price. As will the RCMP and OPP. My talents have been applied in an entirely different pursuit than I had intended when I graduated and entered the workforce.

God Bless America Get 'er done GM!

He said GM committed in a contract signed with Unifor last year that it invest at plants in Oshawa, Ont., and St. Catharines, Ont. GM also committed to the United Auto Workers union that it would continue to assemble the Chevrolet Cruze in Lordstown, Ohio, he said.

"This thing's going to go on a for a while, there's no question in my mind," Mr. Dias said, referring to the strike. "There's too much at stake."

Cami has been operating three shifts a day, six days a week for several years amid strong demand for the vehicle and growth in the crossover segment.

Workers built more than 300,000 vehicles at Cami in 2016, but production was expected to fall to about 250,000 even before the strike.

Equinox sales soared 85 per cent in the U.S. market in August.

The strike has led to layoffs at the GM plant in St. Catharines, which makes transmissions for Cami, and has affected a GM plant in Spring Hill, Tenn., that supplies Equinox engines.

Magna International Inc., which supplies about $1,900 (U.S.) worth of parts to Cami for the Equinox, including the seats, has stopped shipping components to the plant.

GM's policy is not to comment on negotiations.

Happening in Canada right now, appears it will be a lengthy strike. Canada and Ontario were able to sneak in the $400M payoff to GM to keep jobs in Oshawa and St.Catherines (though I shared this payoff with the U.S government so they understood what they were dealing with), appears they aren't able to find peace in another Ontario city with this money.

For the record, I'm a straight shooter who seeks justice in a straight forward so I am transparent in my efforts. I don't gloat or mock them, but I do let them know specifics and names without apology. Its the way I was raised, unlike the cowards who target me and my family...

Thus, in regards to my exposing of the Canadian abuses of American corporations, I have been quite direct and overt when I email GM CE Mary Barra, Unifors Union leader Jerry Dias, PM Trudeau, Premier Wynne, current interim RCMP Commissioner Dubeau and OPP conman Vince Hawkes specifcally in regards to the issue of Canadian tactics in U.S corporations. Of which of course, GM is one.

Quite simply, I am encouraging GM to reconsider their employment efforts in Ontario and to instead look to the U.S for this expansion. I have made some very strong social arguments for this over the last few months, even before Trump was elected (via what I have experienced and what I know is going on in Canada), and, some strong economic reasons for remaining in the U.S after his election. This, even before the much lower tax rate and regulation decreases took place.

Canada is going to pay a price. As will the RCMP and OPP. My talents have been applied in an entirely different pursuit than I had intended when I graduated and entered the workforce.

God Bless America Get 'er done GM!

He said GM committed in a contract signed with Unifor last year that it invest at plants in Oshawa, Ont., and St. Catharines, Ont. GM also committed to the United Auto Workers union that it would continue to assemble the Chevrolet Cruze in Lordstown, Ohio, he said.

"This thing's going to go on a for a while, there's no question in my mind," Mr. Dias said, referring to the strike. "There's too much at stake."

Cami has been operating three shifts a day, six days a week for several years amid strong demand for the vehicle and growth in the crossover segment.

Workers built more than 300,000 vehicles at Cami in 2016, but production was expected to fall to about 250,000 even before the strike.

Equinox sales soared 85 per cent in the U.S. market in August.

The strike has led to layoffs at the GM plant in St. Catharines, which makes transmissions for Cami, and has affected a GM plant in Spring Hill, Tenn., that supplies Equinox engines.

Magna International Inc., which supplies about $1,900 (U.S.) worth of parts to Cami for the Equinox, including the seats, has stopped shipping components to the plant.

GM's policy is not to comment on negotiations.
We know Republicans are against the unions. Trump is going to speak to the striking unions today. Is Trump for or against the unions?

We know Republicans are against the unions. Trump is going to speak to the striking unions today. Is Trump for or against the unions?
I am not Republican. I am aganst public money/corporwte welfare, especially for large established companies. Did you know how many jobs GM cut after the first bailout under Harper? It was taxpayer theft. It's simple, a nation should demand human rights of its citizens and companies that do business inside If a company decided to move offshore for slave labour, those companies must not be supported. All we have ever done is throw money at companies and it never prevents them from moving jobs in the long run. Unions are needed for basic decency, regulations, safety etc. Not for nepotism as we see in Ontarios Police State.

Last edited:
Depends where he is speaking and what day of the week it is

Depends where he is speaking and what day of the week it is

This is how Trump duped America the first time

While his Republican opponents are anti union, Trump’s campaign is planning a 500-person rally with autoworkers, as well as electricians, pipe fitters, plumbers — members of building trades unions who aren’t on strike but who generally lean more conservative than autoworkers and members of public-sector unions. Starting Tuesday, his campaign will also air radio ads in the Detroit and Toledo, Ohio, media markets that target union autoworkers.

Forum List

Back