Gm Warns Chevrolet Corvette Spy Feature May Break Law....

Vigilante

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2014
Waiting on the Cowardly Dante!!
Really neat feature too!

1408564983000-2015CorvetteValetMode-003.jpeg

General Motors is warning Chevrolet Corvette buyers and owners not to use one of the car’s most exotic high-tech features because it could inadvertently result in committing a crime in some states.
The feature involves “Valet Mode,” an aspect of the Performance Data Recorder in the 2015 Corvette. It allows owners to secretly record conversations in their cars and performance data when they’re not along for the ride, such as when the car is being parked by a valet.
GM has apparently discovered that secret recordings are illegal in many states.

GM warns Chevrolet Corvette spy feature may break law

Really neat feature too!

1408564983000-2015CorvetteValetMode-003.jpeg

General Motors is warning Chevrolet Corvette buyers and owners not to use one of the car’s most exotic high-tech features because it could inadvertently result in committing a crime in some states.
The feature involves “Valet Mode,” an aspect of the Performance Data Recorder in the 2015 Corvette. It allows owners to secretly record conversations in their cars and performance data when they’re not along for the ride, such as when the car is being parked by a valet.
GM has apparently discovered that secret recordings are illegal in many states.

GM warns Chevrolet Corvette spy feature may break law
I would think that a device that records the activity of the car's transmission, engine speed, run time and gps coordinates would not be illegal. One that records voices might be...without a warning light to show that the car is being monitored. A video without audio might also be legal.

Last edited:
Good thing most people will never be able to afford to sit in one. Their exposure should be pretty limited.

It's easy to find out what Law applies to your state. Just Google "one party consent" and find out.

I got news for ya': The Data Recorder listens to, records and transmits more info than you know and not just on Corvettes. Google that too, don't just take my word for it.

Yes, transmits. To the Police AND your Insurance company.

Forum List

Back