GM Volts Shocking: GM Literally Sold Out of Them

GHook93

Aristotle
Apr 22, 2007
Chicago
Volts sold all them made. Shocking with the price tag, low electric mileage and batteries catching on fire. I guess there's a market!

GM: Volt virtually sold out | Drive For Innovation – AVNETExpress
Americans are buying 14 Chevrolet Volts a day. That's word from Detroit today, where General Motors announced it's effectively sold out of the 2011 model year. GM has built 4,488 2011 Volts at its Hamtramck plant, and is selling 440 a month, according to the Detroit Free Press.

That's a bit of a surprise. I could be missing a huge ad campaign somewhere, as we roll across the country in a Volt, but I get the impression that GM has soft-pedaled Volt advertising. Apparently, even if the company is, people are snapping up the Volt.

According to the Detroit Free Press:

"GM is increasing production of the Volt to build a total of 16,000 this year and 60,000 next year, with some badged as the European Opel Ampera. CEO Dan Akerson has said GM may eventually build more than 100,0000 a year.

"Nissan expects to deliver about 10,000 Leafs to Americans this year, the same as the number of Volts that General Motors plans to sell to customers in this country."

Volts sold all them made. Shocking with the price tag, low electric mileage and batteries catching on fire. I guess there's a market!

Americans are buying 14 Chevrolet Volts a day. That's word from Detroit today, where General Motors announced it's effectively sold out of the 2011 model year. GM has built 4,488 2011 Volts at its Hamtramck plant, and is selling 440 a month, according to the Detroit Free Press.

That's a bit of a surprise. I could be missing a huge ad campaign somewhere, as we roll across the country in a Volt, but I get the impression that GM has soft-pedaled Volt advertising. Apparently, even if the company is, people are snapping up the Volt.

"GM is increasing production of the Volt to build a total of 16,000 this year and 60,000 next year, with some badged as the European Opel Ampera. CEO Dan Akerson has said GM may eventually build more than 100,0000 a year.

"Nissan expects to deliver about 10,000 Leafs to Americans this year, the same as the number of Volts that General Motors plans to sell to customers in this country."

If they're selling them out, why are they idling the plant that builds them???
General Motors announced Friday the company is suspending production of its Chevy Volt for five weeks because of sluggish sales, USA Today reported. The Volt is primarily constructed at the Detroit-Hamtramck plant in Michigan.

GM to Halt Volt Production, Lay Off Workers - Yahoo! News

But of course! The things are certainly better than the median priced ICE car of nearly the same price, with no electric mileage versus the 40 miles of crude free commuting people get, and the even faster combustion of gasoline when compared to "takes weeks to catch fire" lithium!

Peak oil solutions at your local Chevy dealer, that car is just great!

"While as a conservative Republican I may well share the goal, I deplore the means employed to attain it. The conservative cause damages itself, destroys its credibility through the expedient spreading of untruths. The public will figure it out.

The right-wing “talking heads”, O’Reilly and Limbaugh at the forefront, have managed to make me embarrassed to describe myself as a conservative." ~ Bob Lutz

http://www.forbes.com/sites/boblutz/2012/01/30/chevy-volt-and-the-wrong-headed-right/

Let’s set out the facts (and feel free to check them yourself):

1) Not one Chevrolet Volt has ever caught fire in normal use or in accidents. Not a single one.

2) The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, even after the highly artificial crash test (placing the car on its back, even though it did not roll over in the test) nevertheless awarded the Volt NHTSA’s highest crash-safety rating: 5 stars. Volt is supremely safe.

3) The crashed Volt, its battery shorted by coolant from the period unjustifiably spent “feet up,” caught fire three weeks after said test. (I submit that this would provide adequate time for surviving passengers to exit the vehicle.)

4) On average, 278,000 cars with gasoline engines caught fire in the U.S. each year between 2003 and 2007, according to the National Fire Protection Association.

5) No factory-produced electric vehicle has ever caught fire, to the best of my knowledge.

<snip>

That "catching on fire" thing is disengenuous. What REALLY happened is that the only car involved was crash tested and then towed to a storage lot...after TWO WEEKS there was a malfunction in the crashed car and the battery shorted. Hardly a real world scenerio.

Funny how stories like that get out into the lexicon and become fact.

"While as a conservative Republican I may well share the goal, I deplore the means employed to attain it. The conservative cause damages itself, destroys its credibility through the expedient spreading of untruths. The public will figure it out.

The right-wing “talking heads”, O’Reilly and Limbaugh at the forefront, have managed to make me embarrassed to describe myself as a conservative." ~ Bob Lutz

http://www.forbes.com/sites/boblutz/2012/01/30/chevy-volt-and-the-wrong-headed-right/

1) Not one Chevrolet Volt has ever caught fire in normal use or in accidents. Not a single one.

2) The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, even after the highly artificial crash test (placing the car on its back, even though it did not roll over in the test) nevertheless awarded the Volt NHTSA’s highest crash-safety rating: 5 stars. Volt is supremely safe.

3) The crashed Volt, its battery shorted by coolant from the period unjustifiably spent “feet up,” caught fire three weeks after said test. (I submit that this would provide adequate time for surviving passengers to exit the vehicle.)

4) On average, 278,000 cars with gasoline engines caught fire in the U.S. each year between 2003 and 2007, according to the National Fire Protection Association.

5) No factory-produced electric vehicle has ever caught fire, to the best of my knowledge.

<snip>

Intersting.

Either you are lying, or someone is lying to all the fire departments in the country,

Electric cars require firefighter training in new safety tools | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

Emergency crews prepare to deal with electric-car fires - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

That "catching on fire" thing is disengenuous. What REALLY happened is that the only car involved was crash tested and then towed to a storage lot...after TWO WEEKS there was a malfunction in the crashed car and the battery shorted. Hardly a real world scenerio.

Funny how stories like that get out into the lexicon and become fact.

Funny how you didn't pop in and point out how no Toyota actually suffered from uncontrolled acceleration.

There is certainly room for electrical cars,but it will not reduce energy use,HP requirements don't change from one energy source to another,who many miles to the pound of coal will its get?? who many cubic feet of Natural gas per mile. Unless its charge solely from wind or PV your still going to burn a fossil fuel to make it go.

<snip>

Intersting.

Either you are lying, or someone is lying to all the fire departments in the country,

Electric cars require firefighter training in new safety tools | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

Emergency crews prepare to deal with electric-car fires - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Getting training to deal with whatever challenges first responders may face in the field is a way of life for emergency workers -- but still, "1) Not one Chevrolet Volt has ever caught fire in normal use or in accidents. Not a single one." ~ Bob Lutz

Why do you think training is lying -- are you against ongoing education? The below C&P is from the article you posted. Lying?-all the fire departments?-are you confused or are you pulling a romney by talking out of both sides of your mouth?

"Gurcak said the safety measure is used primarily when a crash leaves people trapped in the car, not for fender benders. Drivers should treat electric cars as they would any vehicle after a crash, he said. "There's nothing the consumer needs to do. You don't need to run away from it" for fear of fire, he said.

Gurcak uses a Volt to give firefighters firsthand experience with an electric car. The Volt came under criticism last year when battery fires twice erupted at testing sites. No fires occurred elsewhere, but the tests prompted a National Highway Traffic Safety Administration investigation." ~ Emergency crews prepare to deal with electric-car fires - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

The right-wing &#8220;talking heads&#8221;, O&#8217;Reilly and Limbaugh at the forefront, have managed to make me embarrassed to describe myself as a conservative." ~ Bob Lutz

Let&#8217;s set out the facts (and feel free to check them yourself):

2) The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, even after the highly artificial crash test (placing the car on its back, even though it did not roll over in the test) nevertheless awarded the Volt NHTSA&#8217;s highest crash-safety rating: 5 stars. Volt is supremely safe.

3) The crashed Volt, its battery shorted by coolant from the period unjustifiably spent &#8220;feet up,&#8221; caught fire three weeks after said test. (I submit that this would provide adequate time for surviving passengers to exit the vehicle.)

<snip>

Intersting.

Getting training to deal with whatever challenges first responders may face in the field is a way of life for emergency workers -- but still, "1) Not one Chevrolet Volt has ever caught fire in normal use or in accidents. Not a single one." ~ Bob Lutz

Why do you think training is lying -- are you against ongoing education? The below C&P is from the article you posted. Lying?-all the fire departments?-are you confused or are you pulling a romney by talking out of both sides of your mouth?

"Gurcak said the safety measure is used primarily when a crash leaves people trapped in the car, not for fender benders. Drivers should treat electric cars as they would any vehicle after a crash, he said. "There's nothing the consumer needs to do. You don't need to run away from it" for fear of fire, he said.

Gurcak uses a Volt to give firefighters firsthand experience with an electric car. The Volt came under criticism last year when battery fires twice erupted at testing sites. No fires occurred elsewhere, but the tests prompted a National Highway Traffic Safety Administration investigation." ~ Emergency crews prepare to deal with electric-car fires - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Not one laptop ever caught fire from overheating, until one did. If there is a fire from a crash with another vehicle caused by an exploding gas tanks the danger from the batteries in a Volt is real. Personally, I would love to see the explosion when the batteries cook off, but not up close.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjAtBiTSsKY"]Li-Ion battery burnout - YouTube[/ame]

<snip>

Intersting.

Yeah QW is a partisan tool. Get used to it :(

Yeah QW is a partisan tool. Get used to it :(

Which is why I am always right.

Not one laptop ever caught fire from overheating, until one did. If there is a fire from a crash with another vehicle caused by an exploding gas tanks the danger from the batteries in a Volt is real. Personally, I would love to see the explosion when the batteries cook off, but not up close.

dying from a gas tank exploding = no problem
dying from a battery exploding = big problem
Got it. Any more horrible examples you would like to give?

Did I say that?

FYI, once you put out the fire surrounding a gas tank the danger of an explosion is eliminated, but an overheated battery could still, potentially, explode. Fire departments understand this, which is why they are getting special training in dealing with fires in electric cars.

Did I say that?

FYI, once you put out the fire surrounding a gas tank the danger of an explosion is eliminated, but an overheated battery could still, potentially, explode. Fire departments understand this, which is why they are getting special training in dealing with fires in electric cars.

Pretty much yes, I even bolded it.
Let me rephrase. Basically what you said is that if a gas tank explodes, there is a danger that the battery could explode.
If the gas tank explodes, your biggest problem is not the battery, its finding and re-attaching any missing limbs.

And so? Are we suppose to care about some car selling out..

dear gawd, what people will crow about..

Did I say that?

Pretty much yes, I even bolded it.
Let me rephrase. Basically what you said is that if a gas tank explodes, there is a danger that the battery could explode.
If the gas tank explodes, your biggest problem is not the battery, its finding and re-attaching any missing limbs.

No, that is how you interpreted what I said. Cars catch on fire all the time. Fires cause batteries to overheat and explode. A Volt involved in a single car accident is in little, or no, danger from said accident, unless the Volts tank springs a leak and starts a fire. (That, by the way, is the major concern of safety experts, they think the extra batteries carry a larger risk of sparks than a regular car. I don't agree, but I don't make money off of selling training videos to fire departments.)

The same Volt in an accident with another car is more likely to be at risk of a fire, and thus more at risk of the battery overheating. Did you know that a laptop battery has enough explosive power to bring down a plane if you ignite it the right way? That makes Volts, with all the extra lithium ion batteries, potentially more explosive than a car. The risk is small, but arguing it can be ignored simply because it rarely happens is stupid.

I actually scoffed at the idea of a shock absorbing bumper getting blown off a car hard enough to injure people, but it apparently happened. Mythbusters was actually able to overheat the shock absorbers and cause a bumper to shoot of the front of a car. Is it likely to happen in the real world? No. Does that mean first responders should ignore the danger?

Forum List

Back