GM Volts Shocking: GM Literally Sold Out of Them

Discussion in 'Energy' started by GHook93, Mar 14, 2012.

1. GHook93

GHook93 Aristotle

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,930
    Volts sold all them made. Shocking with the price tag, low electric mileage and batteries catching on fire. I guess there's a market!

2. Rat in the Hat

Rat in the Hat Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,215
    If they're selling them out, why are they idling the plant that builds them???
    GM to Halt Volt Production, Lay Off Workers - Yahoo! News

3. Katzndogz

Katzndogz Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,337
  4. RGR

RGR VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +133
    But of course! The things are certainly better than the median priced ICE car of nearly the same price, with no electric mileage versus the 40 miles of crude free commuting people get, and the even faster combustion of gasoline when compared to "takes weeks to catch fire" lithium!

Peak oil solutions at your local Chevy dealer, that car is just great!

5. Star

Star Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,016
    "While as a conservative Republican I may well share the goal, I deplore the means employed to attain it. The conservative cause damages itself, destroys its credibility through the expedient spreading of untruths. The public will figure it out.

The right-wing “talking heads”, O’Reilly and Limbaugh at the forefront, have managed to make me embarrassed to describe myself as a conservative." ~ Bob Lutz

http://www.forbes.com/sites/boblutz/2012/01/30/chevy-volt-and-the-wrong-headed-right/

Let’s set out the facts (and feel free to check them yourself):

1) Not one Chevrolet Volt has ever caught fire in normal use or in accidents. Not a single one.

2) The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, even after the highly artificial crash test (placing the car on its back, even though it did not roll over in the test) nevertheless awarded the Volt NHTSA’s highest crash-safety rating: 5 stars. Volt is supremely safe.

3) The crashed Volt, its battery shorted by coolant from the period unjustifiably spent “feet up,” caught fire three weeks after said test. (I submit that this would provide adequate time for surviving passengers to exit the vehicle.)

4) On average, 278,000 cars with gasoline engines caught fire in the U.S. each year between 2003 and 2007, according to the National Fire Protection Association.

5) No factory-produced electric vehicle has ever caught fire, to the best of my knowledge.

<snip>

6. HUGGY

HUGGY I Post Because I Care Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,285
    That "catching on fire" thing is disengenuous. What REALLY happened is that the only car involved was crash tested and then towed to a storage lot...after TWO WEEKS there was a malfunction in the crashed car and the battery shorted. Hardly a real world scenerio.

Funny how stories like that get out into the lexicon and become fact.

7. Quantum Windbag

Quantum Windbag Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    Intersting.

Either you are lying, or someone is lying to all the fire departments in the country,

Electric cars require firefighter training in new safety tools | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

Emergency crews prepare to deal with electric-car fires - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

8. Quantum Windbag

Quantum Windbag Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    Funny how you didn't pop in and point out how no Toyota actually suffered from uncontrolled acceleration.

9. chikenwing

chikenwing Guest

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,960
    There is certainly room for electrical cars,but it will not reduce energy use,HP requirements don't change from one energy source to another,who many miles to the pound of coal will its get?? who many cubic feet of Natural gas per mile. Unless its charge solely from wind or PV your still going to burn a fossil fuel to make it go.

10. Star

Star Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,016

Getting training to deal with whatever challenges first responders may face in the field is a way of life for emergency workers -- but still, "1) Not one Chevrolet Volt has ever caught fire in normal use or in accidents. Not a single one." ~ Bob Lutz

Why do you think training is lying -- are you against ongoing education? The below C&P is from the article you posted. Lying?-all the fire departments?-are you confused or are you pulling a romney by talking out of both sides of your mouth?

"Gurcak said the safety measure is used primarily when a crash leaves people trapped in the car, not for fender benders. Drivers should treat electric cars as they would any vehicle after a crash, he said. "There's nothing the consumer needs to do. You don't need to run away from it" for fear of fire, he said.

Gurcak uses a Volt to give firefighters firsthand experience with an electric car. The Volt came under criticism last year when battery fires twice erupted at testing sites. No fires occurred elsewhere, but the tests prompted a National Highway Traffic Safety Administration investigation." ~ Emergency crews prepare to deal with electric-car fires - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review