GM Volt's price induces some sticker shock

I wouldn't for half the price. But the smug mobile (prius) sold more than I ever thought it would.

Buyer's claim a feeling of superiority, as if they are saving the planet. Anybody want to claim Toyota can't market?

Just wait till you have to replace all the batteries and pay to dispose the old ones

Just wait till you have to replace all the batteries and pay to dispose the old ones

At least the Volt has an ICE as well so the batteries are much smaller and thus less expensive....the LEAF on the other hand being purely electric will be a stone cold bitch when battery change time comes around.

Stupid environmentalist wackos with too much money for their own good, like Ed Begley jr., will buy them as status symbols, though.

It used to only cost twenty cents or so for an AIDS ribbon to prove that you were morally superior; now you need a $30k electric car?

Love'n it.

electric cars for the gay................

Wouldnt be caught dead in one on principle, but my guess is none of the environmental k00ks on this board realize what happens when one of those 25 batteries explodes!!!!

Last edited:
cain't wait to here stories of the volt's battery going out and it turns into a golf cart with the tiny ice straining. 33 large after the tax credit

Wayyyy to much for me to be the ginny pig.

Nah, I think I'd rather have one of these:

tesla-roadster.jpg

Still takes 8 hours charge. And wait till you see the jump in your light bill.

Yep. It costs a electric car around 120 bucks to travel four hundred miles. Costs me 48 bucks.....and I don't have to wait 20 hours.

Yep. It costs a electric car around 120 bucks to travel four hundred miles. Costs me 48 bucks.....and I don't have to wait 20 hours.

Yeah, none of those things are true (at least about the Tesla).

The Tesla costs about a penny a mile on your electric bill, can go 250 miles on a single charge, and takes 3.5 hours to charge fully.

And it goes from 0 - 60 in 3.7 seconds.

Last edited:
The Volt's ICE does not power the car. It's nothing more than a generator that charges the batteries.

So that mean it doesn't have to stay immobile plugged in for 8 hours to charge. Also means the battery isn't going to "go dead" on the highway. At least as long as you pay attention to the gas gauge.

But yeah, $41K? No way. I'd pay $20K, maybe.

Wait... hold on.....

I thought these pieces of shit ran off of a magical free source of energy! :eek:

Where does this magical source of energy come from?

Oh yeah..... it has to be generated elsewhere and transferred to my house.
But... doesnt that pollute the environment too?

8 hours of power getting sucked outta my walls!!!!????!!!

On a side note:
I put a Hybrid sticker from off a Prius on my Toyota 4Runner 4x4 just for shits and grins :tongue: (trust me... it is far from a Prius. In fact it can literally drive over one if I wanted to)
The lefties just love that.
:cool:

The Tesla costs about a penny a mile on your electric bill, can go 250 miles on a single charge, and takes 3.5 hours to charge fully.

And it goes from 0 - 60 in 3.7 seconds.[/QUOTE]

$109,000

That kind of dampens my enthusiasm
:eusa_eh:

And it goes from 0 - 60 in 3.7 seconds.

$109,000

That kind of dampens my enthusiasm
:eusa_eh:

Yeah, I'm not going to go buy one. Just like I'm not going to buy a Lamborgini.

But they're still hot ass cars.

The GM Volt Math - it's not pretty:

Assume you can get the $7,500 tax rebate, so your actual price is $35,000, plus applicable local taxes. And suppose that a comparably equipped vehicle of similar size, in a non-hybrid flavor, can be had for $25,000 (a premium compact like a VW Jetta, Volvo C30, or a Subaru Impreza).

For $8,500 premium, you get a 40mile all electric range. That represents 80% of the 16KWh battery, or about 13kWh. At 12c/kWh, if you can drive all electric, 15,000mi/year will cost you about $585. Very nice.

If your premium compact gas car gets an average of just 30mpg, 15,000mi at $3.00/gal will cost you $1,500.

Under these assumptions, best case (all electric Volt miles), you save $915/year driving the Volt. To gain back your $10,000 price premium, you will have to drive the Volt for 9.3 years, 1.3 year longer than the battery warranty.

Now suppose you can't run your Volt 100% electric, but you need to rely on the gas generator engine for just 33% of your mileage. 10,000 miles electric will cost you $390, and 5,000 miles at 40mpg (assume) will cost you $375. Running a Volt 66/33 electric/gas will cost you $765. The payback time for your $10,000 premium is now over 11.1 years, 3 years longer than the battery warranty.

My point here is that at $41,000 MSRP, the Volt is not a great deal, except for people who are passionate about not using much gasoline. In order to even come close to making sense for the average consumer, the Volt needs to be priced for a payback of about 5 years, or about $29,000 out-the-door, or $36,500 MSRP, with the $7,500 tax credit.

The Auto Prophet: Some Volt Math

Forum List

Back