GM Volt! Is it the solution to Foreign Oil?

GHook93

Aristotle
Apr 22, 2007
Chicago
Its a cool looking car that gets 230 miles to the gallon. However, the gas engine does kick into until after 40 miles. Meaning you run entirely gas/oil free for the first 40 miles. See below the average round trip commute is 32 miles, meaning most Americans would run gas free most days. Before they get home and are able to charge their cars! Obvious some in the city would be screwed, but this would help many Americans.

Its coming out in 2010, with a price tag of $40K with a $7,500 government credit the car will be $32.5K, which is affordable to most Americans, esp when you take gas prices out of the equations.
Chevrolet Volt's official fuel economy: 230 mpg - Aug. 11, 2009

They report an average one-way commute time of 26 minutes (over an average distance of 16 miles).
Poll: Traffic in the United States - ABC News

Last edited:
I think you combine this with the Volt and the electric car has taken a huge first step. A 5 seater, cool looking, family car.

Why it will sell:
(1) It looks sleek and cool. Image is important
(2) While $50K is expensive, its affordable to a lot of people in the upper middle class,
(3) 300 mile range on a 45 minute charge. If you have a 20 mile commute, then you can go 15 days without charging. 45 min charge, is very short. Even outside salesmen can survive! Not too many people are going to do 300 miles in a day too often. 300 miles is more than enough for the vast majority of people!
(4) Family Car: It can fit 5 adults and 2 children (More likely, 2 up front and 3 in the back seat).
(5) More Cargo space than station wagons!
(6) 0-60 mph in 5.6 seconds (Room, no gas, cool looking and very fast!)
(7) No Gas = No carbon Emission = No pollution! Many people think all 3 are important
(8) People will like the fact that they are delivering a great economic blow to Russia, Iran, Venezuela, Iran, Saudi Arabia etc and start freeing America of foreign oil!
Model S FAQ

FOXNews.com - Tesla Introduces 7-Passenger Electric Car - Auto
HAWTHORNE, California — Electric car start-up Tesla Motors Inc unveiled its newest, cheapest vehicle on Thursday, a four-door sedan that can carry five adults and could travel up to 300 miles per charge.

The Model S will cost $49,900, after a U.S. government tax credit of $7,500, Tesla Chief Executive Elon Musk said at the car's unveiling. It is slated to go into production in 2010 and will be manufactured in Southern California.

In his remarks, Musk billed the Model S as the first mass-market, highway-ready electric vehicle. And, he said, the price is comparable to that of a $35,000 gasoline-powered car such as a Ford Taurus, assuming gas prices of about $4 a gallon.

"Would you rather have this car, or would you rather have a Ford Taurus?" Musk asked the crowd of journalists.

7131d1238178108-tesla-the-first-legit-electric-car-tesla.jpg

Don't tell me the Model S doesn't look as prestigious, classy and cool as a Benz, BMW Lexus!

Last edited:
Ghosn, though, focused on the practicalities, reiterating Nissan’s plan that the Leaf, which runs a 100 miles on a single charge, excluding the cost of the batteries, will cost no more to buy and run than a traditional gasoline-powered car. Zero-emissions of CO2 and other greenhouse gases, he said, are a bonus. Charging time is seven hours, although a 30-minute quick charge can get batteries back up to 80% of full power.

Key to its success will be bringing down the cost of the batteries, which currently cost around $10,000 per car to make. Sensibly, Nissan plans to lease the batteries to customers rather than try to sell the car at an inflated price. Initially, the carmaker will share the burden by taking advantage of government subsidies and cheap loans to ensure sales are profitable from day one. The challenge will be to get costs down to a sufficient level by the time governments begin scaling back incentives
Introducing the Nissan Leaf Electric Vehicle - BusinessWeek

nissan-leaf_lo_630.jpg

While the Tesla is a great looking car and is well along in the development process it is very expensive at the moment and without a major car company to market it. it will remain a niche car in the expensive mode. The Volt while another nice car is what GM is putting a lot of it's marbles and hopes in. It would seem that Nissan will beat them to the punch when it comes to the low-cost and marketing to the general public. While the Volt is a very insteresting car it does seem that Government Motors has been outdone once again by both Tesla and Nissan in their well published Volt.

While the Tesla is a great looking car and is well along in the development process it is very expensive at the moment and without a major car company to market it. it will remain a niche car in the expensive mode. The Volt while another nice car is what GM is putting a lot of it's marbles and hopes in. It would seem that Nissan will beat them to the punch when it comes to the low-cost and marketing to the general public. While the Volt is a very insteresting car it does seem that Government Motors has been outdone once again by both Tesla and Nissan in their well published Volt.

According to their website they have 1,000 pre-orders requiring a $5K deposit. That is $5 mil alone in sales. New Mexico was considering purchasing 500 cars, until the auto plant was moved to CA.

Tesla Takes More Than 500 Model S Reservations in a Week

But I am glad to see Nissan jumping on board also!

Don't get me wrong here. if I had a choice it would be the Tesla hands down , it's beautiful in lines and performance no doubt. I was pointing out though that from a marketing standpoint its one of availability and brand name. The Tesla will need a Ford or Toyota name attached to it to have a mass market of the scale that say a Leaf will be sold too. However if they tend to want to stay in a niche market there is no doubt they have come up with a simply beautiful car.

I'm all for better gas mileage cars. but if we all go to electric cars won't that drive up the demand for electric and pollution? Can our current electrical system handle that? Electric bills go through the roof?

Seems like it might create even worse and more expensive problems to fix and worry about. Are these good questions? hell I don't know. What say you?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfn1ziZjLJo]YouTube - Bryan Hansel, CEO of Smith Electric Vehicles U.S. Corp, on the Smith Newton[/ame]

I see this technology as getting better and better , this one doesn't seem to me it would much of a problem in pulling a boat.

The Tesla is a good looking car. Although I can't imagine taken my family of 5 on vacation in that thing. Great drive around town car though.

I'm all for better gas mileage cars. but if we all go to electric cars won't that drive up the demand for electric and pollution? Can our current electrical system handle that? Electric bills go through the roof?

Seems like it might create even worse and more expensive problems to fix and worry about. Are these good questions? hell I don't know. What say you?

Thats one of the reasons why we need to have an all energy approach IMO Malibu when it comes to power generation. If we just concentrate on a few technologies then the cost of these cars will be very high in the rising costs of utility bills.

The Tesla S is a flat out BEAUTIFUL car no ands ifs or butts. It is aslo has VERY good capabilities. As more and more are sold the price will come down very fast.

Tesla is also coming out with their 3rd car, the Blue Star. They want to get the price down to $20-$30K! That is a car everyone in the middle class can afford.

Tesla's 'Bluestar' to be all-electric family car | Green Tech - CNET News

From the same technology base, Tesla intends to develop a series of vehicles including a minivan, coupe, and light pick-up truck which could be used in fleets, Straubel said.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvzOdYVw6Pw]YouTube - Tesla Sedan Unveiled! Tesla Model S Hits the Road[/ame]

Good questions, but its easier to solve electricity issues a stable sources such as power plants than its for 10s of millions of mobile sources.

Forum List

Back