GM Volt August Sales = 2,831 Units, New Record

ScienceRocks

Democrat all the way!
Mar 16, 2010
The Good insane United states of America

September 6, 2012 By Adam Johnston Leave a Comment

GM Volt August Sales Estimated Around 2,500 Units
August sales of the GM Chevy Volt are their best yet.

According to Autoblog Green, 2,831 GM Volts were sold in August. That is higher than its previous best in March of 2012, when the GM Chevy Volt sold 2,289 units.

Michelle Malcho, a GM Spokesperson told the Detroit Free Press the following:

“We’re really seeing momentum continuing to build. As people see their neighbors have one and as they start to understand the technology and are able to drive it, they put it into their consideration.”

Malcho also noted that one-third of all Volt sales come from California, while Michigan provides a strong sales base.

It’s also expected the GM Volt plant in Hamtramck, Michigan will shut down for one month starting mid-September. The reasoning for the month-long closure is likely due to retooling, levelling out supply and demand levels, or a combination of both.

While nearly 3,000 Volts were sold last month, only 685 Nissan Leafs were sold. In August 2011, that number was 1,362. In July 2012, it was a much worse 395. Though, according to some of our readers wanting a Leaf, they are might hard to get in some locations, despite being advertised as available. Odd.

The Volt factory is being retooled to build the more popular Chevy Impala.

Even with large local and federal incentives it is a miserable failure.....

Another Obama green failure....

$Obama-Volt1-522x350.jpg

$obama-trash.jpg

$93712240-will-bankrupt.jpg

I don't have anything against them either. They are wildly impractical for most people, but for those that get their needs met, good.

I personally wouldn't buy one because I do not support government owned motors. It's a matter of principle.

Ford now has the C-Max, C-Max Energi, and the Fusion hybrids out. In the straight hybrid versions the C-Max and Fusion get 47/47. The Energi version has a 20 mile range as an EV so the normal shopping trips and short trips can be done without using gasoline at all. That would give an overall mileage for most people that would exceed the 54.5 mpg mandate for 2025 right now.

It is not just the Volt or Prius anymore, and as the world price of gasoline continues to rise, this kind of vehicle is going to look better for a lot of people.

Hybrids have a better chance of success than do plug ins. Plug ins are developed as a sop to the government not because they are any net benefit. They are the affirmative action of automobiles. The token nod to environmentalists.

They cannot be used by people who live in apartment buildings and certainly are useless to those who don't have off street parking at all. To get any benefit from a plug in, it follows that there must necessarily be someplace to plug it in.

It was such an awesome popular car, oops;

"Submitted by Heritage Foundation on Sep 5, 2012
General Motors is halting production of the poorly selling Chevy Volt to accommodate a redesigned Chevy Impala. The impending four-week shutdown of the electric car represents yet another setback following news of disappointing sales for the second year in a row:"

"Through July, GM sold 10,666 Volts in the U.S., according to researcher Autodata Corp. Akerson had aimed for sales of 60,000 globally, of which 45,000 would be delivered in the U.S. In June he said sales would probably total 35,000 to 40,000."

Ouch!

GM Stops Production of Unpopular Chevy Volt

Hybrids have a better chance of success than do plug ins. Plug ins are developed as a sop to the government not because they are any net benefit. They are the affirmative action of automobiles. The token nod to environmentalists.

I've owned two hybrids (2007 Ford Escape AWD and 2009 Camry hybrid) and the Volt is better than either. Hybrids are an efficiency gimmick, and not a bad one. But the only advantage I got from the hybrids were intown, and temperature dependent. I have no doubt that the Volt will also have a temperature dependence, but it has so much more battery power that I shouldn't notice it during my normal use in town.

Roadtrips are a different matter. The Volt is fine for interstate work (interstate as within a state) but when I cross the country on a two day roadtrip, I take an econobox which gets better highway mileage than the Volt, the Camry or the Escape.

Right tool for the job. The Volt has the day to day and commuting uses covered.

Katzdogz said:
They cannot be used by people who live in apartment buildings and certainly are useless to those who don't have off street parking at all. To get any benefit from a plug in, it follows that there must necessarily be someplace to plug it in.

Work. If I get there early enough, one of the EV charging slots might be open, and when it is, my fuel is free! Electricity rocks!

Charging slots can only be available in secured areas. They cannot exist in street parking, nor in apartment buildings with open parking. For one thing, the charging stations will be stolen as fast as they can be installed.

By any means, the volt has been a failure. Even if an individual volt has been a benefit to an individual volt owner. In totality, the car has failed.

Charging slots can only be available in secured areas. They cannot exist in street parking, nor in apartment buildings with open parking. For one thing, the charging stations will be stolen as fast as they can be installed.

Interesting. Certainly I work in a secured area, but now I am curious how easy one of these things is to steal.

By any means, the volt has been a failure.

Have you even driven one? Take one for a spin, call it a failure than, and explain why. Certainly as an automobile it is quite pleasant and quiet, and I don't stop into those pesky gas stations much any more. That doesn't make it a good car, that makes it a great one which supports the local economy, and contributes towards a better national trade balance as well! People bitch about that one all the time, about time they DID something about it.

Katzndogz said:
Even if an individual volt has been a benefit to an individual volt owner. In totality, the car has failed.

Totality? How? I drive it to work. The A/C works. It doesn't burn gasoline. It is quiet and comfortable. Nice radio. Supports American jobs and energy production. How is ANY of that a failure? And have you even driven one, or do you just innately hate....electricity?

By any means, the volt has been a failure.

Have you even driven one? Take one for a spin, call it a failure than, and explain why. Certainly as an automobile it is quite pleasant and quiet, and I don't stop into those pesky gas stations much any more. That doesn't make it a good car, that makes it a great one which supports the local economy, and contributes towards a better national trade balance as well! People bitch about that one all the time, about time they DID something about it.

Katzndogz said:
Even if an individual volt has been a benefit to an individual volt owner. In totality, the car has failed.

Totality? How? I drive it to work. The A/C works. It doesn't burn gasoline. It is quiet and comfortable. Nice radio. Supports American jobs and energy production. How is ANY of that a failure? And have you even driven one, or do you just innately hate....electricity?
The quiet part scares me, just like a loud engine scares deer and keeps most of them from leaping in front of a moving vehicle.

Electric Cars In Portland, Oregon Get Charging Stations On 'Electric Avenue'

PORTLAND, Ore. -- Electric car drivers will get a charge out of a block-long stretch of a downtown Portland street that's been dubbed "Electric Avenue," and it may also help the automotive industry and others make important decisions as the use of electric cars evolves.

Seven electric charging stations from six different manufacturers have been installed at Portland State University as part of a two-year study that will examine which chargers get the most use, who's plugging in, and what they do while their car drinks up a charge.

Fred Meyer adding EV chargers at I-5 corridor stores | Sustainable Business Oregon

On the heels of the unveiling of Oregon's section of the Electric Highway project, Fred Meyer announced last week it would add electric vehicle charging stations to parking lots at stores along the same stretch of Interstate 5.

Working with ECOtality Inc., Fred Meyer will install Blink charging stations at nine Fred Meyer locations, most of them near I-5, by the end of summer 2012.

Officials at the company said one Level 2 charging station, which takes several hours to deliver a full charge, and one DC Fast Charger, which can give a full charge in less than 30 minutes, will be installed at stores in East Salem, Tualatin, Tigard, Sunset, Sandy and Salmon Creek locations. Two Level 2 chargers will be installed at Oregon City, Mill Plain and Gateway stores.

Forum List

Back